UKBouldering.com

Legalise... (Read 4137 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Legalise...
December 02, 2018, 10:31:04 am
Just read this in the paper today:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/01/we-ban-cannabis-but-let-people-eat-as-much-meat-as-they-want-does-that-make-sense

I'd humbly suggest that this is among the stupidest articles I have ever read in a newspaper that purports to be serious. I'd add that generally, I'd agree that it'd be good if the world consumed less meat, and that there is something profoundly wrong about the way that cannabis is prohibited in most countries. I cannot imagine casually sitting down to dash off a piece of copy and thinking that I'll just casually dismiss links of cannabis to psychosis, and talk about how nice my airline fake meat burger was.

Ged

• junky
#1 Re: Legalise...
December 02, 2018, 08:30:21 pm
Agreed. In no particular order...

Practically dismissing the long term psychosis link.

Not recognising the stupidity of claiming to be righteous eating a non meat burger WHILST FLYING ON AN AEROPLANE FROM AMERICA TK EUROPE YOU IDIOTIC FUCKWIT

Failing to remember that its quite common to take weed with tobacco, which has been shown to have a downside or 2

Kingy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Legalise...
December 02, 2018, 11:16:04 pm
Apparently if the 3rd runway was built at Heathrow then a shit tonne of carbon dioxide emissions would be saved by planes not having to circle round in holding patterns waiting to land like they are now.  :-\

TobyD

• forum hero
#3 Re: Legalise...
December 02, 2018, 11:52:05 pm
The Guardian / Observer have some excellent columnists: Nick Cohen, Andrew Rawnsley, Simon Jenkins, Carole Cadwallader among others; but they do have a tendency to publish total shit like this as well.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 08:21:36 am

Nothing of any value to add but any excuse to post this will be taken...

petejh

• forum hero
#5 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 10:06:47 am

i.munro

• junky
#6 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 03:53:51 pm
Surely her overall point - that society should be discouraging behaviour according to how much damage it's doing to members of that society - rather than by some completely arbitrary set of rules with no logic at all, is a good one?

Ged

• junky
#7 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 10:06:31 pm
Is that her point? I didn't really read that from it. Her main point to me seemed to be comparing apples with oranges. Or spliffs with vegan burgers to be precise.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#8 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 10:30:32 pm
It wasn't well written, but I'd agree with i.munro that she was arguing for a more coherent way of evaluating whether we should legalise or criminalise behaviours.

TobyD

• forum hero
#9 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 10:54:45 pm
I thought the direct comparison of cannabis with veganism fatuous, and thus the whole article rather meaningless. If would be reasonable to contend that society condemns taboos rather than things that will genuinely benefit it, and construct an argument around relevant examples. This article seemed like preachy veganism trying to be lighthearted.

Kingy

• forum hero
#10 Re: Legalise...
December 03, 2018, 10:58:32 pm

Cypress Hill have been saying it for years!  8)

TobyD

• forum hero
#11 Re: Legalise...
December 04, 2018, 09:19:46 pm
Cypress Hill were pretty much my favourite band when I was 16. Black Sunday is still amazing.

Kingy

• forum hero
#12 Re: Legalise...
December 04, 2018, 10:34:11 pm
Same here when I was a teenager. Still sounds savage 25 years on! :great:

Durbs

• forum hero
#13 Re: Legalise...
December 05, 2018, 11:06:41 am
Anyone after a fascinating read on decriminalisation of drugs (not just weed) - Drug Wars by Neil Woods is a fascinating read from an ex undercover policeman and er...a friend-of-a-friend.
Really highlights just how damaging illegal drugs are to society, and the benefits that could be had by treating people with drug issues in the health system rather than the criminal one. Also some great history on American interventions on the global level to criminalise drugs.

Note, strong distinction between decriminalised (i.e. it's a medical problem) vs legalised (you can wander into Tesco and buy some skunk).

More on topic - vaping is the future, none of the baccy harm, all the goodness.
The psychosis link is valid, though I think is more linked with increasing likelihood of developing psychosis for those already pre-dispositioned, rather than turning the average person into a psychotic wreck.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#14 Re: Legalise...
December 05, 2018, 11:30:18 am
Did someone say legalise??

TobyD

• forum hero
#15 Re: Legalise...
December 05, 2018, 11:33:32 pm
https://goo.gl/images/wj8dXX

Almost as good as cypress hill.

Good post durbs, I'll give that a read. Read an interesting article in the guardian a while ago by Simon Jenkins of all people, in favour of full decriminalisation of all drugs. Not sure I agreed but it was well argued.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal