UKBouldering.com

Simond down jackets (Read 5579 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 09:52:49 am
The time has come for a new down jackets. Decathlon seem the Simond down jackets at a decent price and they look pretty good. Has anyone used them and can comment on the quality? Alternatively has anyone seen any other good deals out there?

It's this jacket:-

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpi-gxb-light-down-jacket-id_8495173.html

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 10:00:53 am
I've had a couple of the standard quechua ones which are probably even cheaper, they've been really good; as you'd expect really they're not quite as warm as a Rab jacket of equivalent bulk but they're a third of the price. As long as you don't expect them to be quite up to premium brand quality, (though I'd say they're better than some much more expensive brands) they are really decent jackets.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#2 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 10:44:24 am
That's good to know. Didn't really expect them to be top end but as long as they are good enough for a cold day in the Peak!

They don't seem to have the Queacha ones on decathlon website anymore. Do they still do them in store?

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 10:45:10 am
Not got any decathlog down wear - but got a soft shell and synth insulated jacket from them. Both have been really good. Sturdy and for my frame they fit really well (tight around body - plenty of arm length). Some of the fabrics feel a bit 'synthetic' at times. But - er - thats because they are!

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 12:36:52 pm
Not had a down jacket however I do like Simond kit. Got a pair of climbing trousers for £30 that are a brilliant fit with a skinny leg however still with loads of movement due to the way they are cut. Also got some £50 vertika slippers that I intended to only wear at the wall however they have now become my go to shoe for 90% of things as they are comfy, fit really well and have vibram grip xs rubber the same as lots of much much more expensive shoes. Overall I would try any Simond kit based on the experience of these products.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 02:14:03 pm
Bit of a weird fit for me. Large would be perfect except it's a little too tight on the chest; XL is like a tent. I'm a pretty bog standard 40 Long in jackets.

Looked like they would be fine if they fit you.

PatKingDebtCollection

• Yo ass is mine, sweet thang
  • idle idol
#6 Re: Simond down jackets
December 01, 2018, 11:39:54 pm
Weakdave,

having been a keen observer of your footwear trading, I feel I am well placed to help you out here.

You appear to be on a standard equipment trajectory. Those of us in the know use well known trading sequences to avoid wasting valuable time and money.

After several down jackets (many months in the future), you will be ready for the next leap in bouldering pad technology. Fortunately, I am in a position to help you here. Instead of buying what you think is going to be the right down jacket, you should put your resources into buying what is the right bouldering mat for someone else and then negotiate a trade for one of their well loved down jackets. They will already be well progressed on the gear trajectory, so you can be sure that you will be benefiting from their buying and trying experience. You will end up with an upper tier down jacket in exchange for an early exploration bouldering mat. More importantly, you will be at least 12 months ahead of where you would have been in the gear game. This is, basically, time travel. Time travel should be priceless, but you have an affordable way to get in on the impossible here.

I have a well loved, but not perfect, down jacket that I would happily exchange for the most expensive bouldering mat you can buy. This will advance you several steps up the ladder and provide you with immeasurable experience in gear trading - a lesson you will never forget.

You can simply get the supplier to post the new pad  straight to me to save on reshipping costs and I will then send you the pretested jacket WITH NO EXTRA POSTAGE to pay!

I am sure you can see the obvious benefits in this scheme.

This sort of knowledge is usually only available at overpriced seminars via Skype or by the slow grind of trading your way through the gear scene.

I am sure you will make the right decision.

I look forward to my new pad and you can look forward to arriving in the future way before anyone else.

Cheers

PKDC

sheavi

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Simond down jackets
December 02, 2018, 08:31:23 am
 I've had a Simond down jacket for maybe the last 18 months to 2 years.  No complaints at all. Far better, and a quarter of the price, of the Rab I had previously.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Simond down jackets
December 02, 2018, 08:48:25 am
Dear PKDC.

What colour? And will it still be impregnated with your esteemed gear trading musk?

Regards TT

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#9 Re: Simond down jackets
December 02, 2018, 08:58:09 am
PKDC,

I am OK, but thanks for the offer!

Cheers, Dave

Duma

• forum hero
#10 Re: Simond down jackets
December 02, 2018, 11:05:53 am
  ;D  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Simond down jackets
January 04, 2019, 01:15:38 pm
I bought one of the Simond lightweight down jackets £69 on sale - and it seems great. Good slim fit (m) with enough arm length and if I ever wore a helmet enough room for that.

It’s thin (not much down) but that’s what it’s supposed to be right? Love to have a pattagucci one but £200 is bonkers for something I’ll probably hole on a barbed wire fence :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Simond down jackets
January 04, 2019, 02:59:15 pm
I've got a Decathlon / Quechua micro down and love it. Fine for most weathers and can be worn under a shell in really cold winter days out without being too bulky. Plus orange is the new black.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal