Eggcorns (Read 56449 times)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#175 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 11:10:41 am
"On tenderhooks."

Just heard this in a meeting and prompted me to explore what 'tenterhooks' actually are:
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#176 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 11:57:57 am
Like difference between a "fine toothed comb" (wrong) and a "fine-tooth comb" (correct).

One that's not an eggcorn, more just a weird phrase is "to have one's work cut out for you", meaning that you've got a difficult task ahead.

Assuming the etymology of this is from the tailoring trade, surely someone cutting my work out for me makes the job easier - after all I don't have to cut it out myself?!

And if it's not from tailoring, what job is there where having my work "cut out for me" makes it harder?

webbo

• forum hero
#177 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 12:57:45 pm
Like difference between a "fine toothed comb" (wrong) and a "fine-tooth comb" (correct).

One that's not an eggcorn, more just a weird phrase is "to have one's work cut out for you", meaning that you've got a difficult task ahead.

Assuming the etymology of this is from the tailoring trade, surely someone cutting my work out for me makes the job easier - after all I don't have to cut it out myself?!

And if it's not from tailoring, what job is there where having my work "cut out for me" makes it harder?
Surgery

galpinos

• forum hero
#178 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 01:01:17 pm

My mother told me (citation needed) that is was from tailoring (her mother was tailoress) and that the tailor's assistant has cut out so much work that the tailor would struggle to finish it. She has a tendency for making things up though........

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#179 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 02:09:35 pm

My mother told me (citation needed) that is was from tailoring (her mother was tailoress) and that the tailor's assistant has cut out so much work that the tailor would struggle to finish it. She has a tendency for making things up though........

Probably not far off.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-wor1.htm

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#180 Re: Eggcorns
February 12, 2019, 11:19:10 pm

Surgery

Barber

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#181 Re: Eggcorns
February 13, 2019, 10:45:35 am
Received via email yesterday;

"..this time would enable the client to climatise sufficiently."

andy_e

• forum hero
#182 Re: Eggcorns
February 13, 2019, 12:25:20 pm

Surgery

Barber

Gardener

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#183 Re: Eggcorns
February 13, 2019, 04:19:39 pm
My colleague just said "It's a complete mix-mash" ;D I kind of like how appropraite that one is.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#184 Re: Eggcorns
February 13, 2019, 11:16:29 pm

Surgery

Barber

Gardener

Editor

Hence the phrase "didn't make the cut"

andy popp

• forum hero
#185 Re: Eggcorns
February 14, 2019, 11:20:26 am
I thought I'd spotted one in the Guardian today when someone spoke about Uber applying a "surge charge" - but turns out that is exactly what Uber call a surcharge.

andy_e

• forum hero
#186 Re: Eggcorns
February 14, 2019, 03:42:02 pm
I have many floors, pedantry is one of them. It's a relief to admit that; it's a real weight off my chest.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#187 Re: Eggcorns
February 14, 2019, 04:04:53 pm
Is it not a surge charge surcharge?

tomtom

• forum hero
#188 Re: Eggcorns
February 14, 2019, 04:48:33 pm
Is it not a surge charge surcharge?

Technically it’s not a price on top of something - the whole price changes or ‘surges’ during peak/busy times. Dynamic pricing innit.

andy_e

• forum hero
#189 Re: Eggcorns
February 15, 2019, 01:56:43 pm
Have we had "to set a president" yet?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#190 Re: Eggcorns
February 15, 2019, 04:54:17 pm
No, I'd like to set a president in concrete though. Preferably the present one.

mark20

• junky
#191 Re: Eggcorns
February 18, 2019, 05:03:59 pm
Just seen a good one on farcebook "no one battered an eyelid" 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#192 Re: Eggcorns
February 18, 2019, 05:31:14 pm
Have you never eaten battered eyelids then?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#193 Re: Eggcorns
February 20, 2019, 09:53:08 am
Just heard "Longfaluted". A kind of eggcorny mix of convoluted and highfalutin.  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#194 Re: Eggcorns
February 20, 2019, 12:32:23 pm
portmanteau surely - long winded + highfalutin ?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#195 Re: Eggcorns
February 20, 2019, 12:47:31 pm
I'll ask the culprit what they meant tomorrow. To be honest I think they just "misspoke".

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#196 Re: Eggcorns
February 21, 2019, 09:05:45 am
From our own correspondent:

I'm not that ofay with quieter options

andy popp

• forum hero
#197 Re: Eggcorns
February 22, 2019, 01:34:13 am
I was just reading an American novel published in 1969 that used the obviously correct "I couldn't care less." Which got me wondering. Turns out "I couldn't care less" was only imported from Britain in 50s and began to be replaced by the illogical "I could care less" from the 60s onwards. So there you go.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#198 Re: Eggcorns
February 22, 2019, 11:30:14 am
I was just reading an American novel published in 1969 that used the obviously correct "I couldn't care less." Which got me wondering. Turns out "I couldn't care less" was only imported from Britain in 50s and began to be replaced by the illogical "I could care less" from the 60s onwards. So there you go.

'I could care less' makes my blood boil. It just makes no bloody sense in the context.

"Aren't you late for that meeting?"
"Ah well, I could care less", ergo you actually care quite a lot. Arghhh!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#199 Re: Eggcorns
February 22, 2019, 02:28:29 pm
I don’t know.

“I could care less”, doesn’t necessarily imply that the speaker cares a lot, merely that they could care less. Perhaps it’s ironic, as in “I could care less, but that would be difficult”.

Still, a fucking irritating thing to say, so I definitely could care less...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal