UKBouldering.com

They Shall Not Grow Old (Read 9109 times)

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
November 13, 2018, 08:20:53 pm
Talk with your Dad if he is still around, especially if he’s not particularly chatty.

This 100%. Whilst my dad was born after the war and so the stories would have been different I never really got around to talking to him properly about when he was younger before he died of cancer, feel like I have missed out on some brilliant tales that could be told.

If one person reading this gets one story from their dad after this post it will be worth it.

Also I watched the documentary last night after seeing this thread and can confirm that it is brilliant. The bit that really got me was when they knew the war was over yet kept shelling right up until 11am. Shows the total folly of it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#26 Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
November 13, 2018, 10:32:05 pm
What an extraordinary thread this has turned into. Thanks to Will for starting it and to everyone who has contributed their family stories.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
November 13, 2018, 10:49:23 pm
My paternal grandfather was killed by artillery or machine gun fire (accounts vary) in September 1918. He had moved to Canada ten years before, established a farm and law practise in rural Alberta, married my grandmother and had two sons but perceived it as his duty to go back to Europe to fight. My father was just 4 when his father died. In turn, he was 50 when I was born and died of myeloma when I was 25. When I pause to think about it, which I do quite often, I astonishes me how much years have been straddled by just three generations and how tenuous the passing of the baton between us has been.

I think this is the most incredible part about such recollections.

I know my Great Grandfather, who I knew and listened to his tales, had been a boy at Greenwich school; under the care of an ancient Mariner block Chief (a sinecure in his dotage) who had been born on the Victory and was at Trafalgar.
So I knew a man, who knew a man, who was at Trafalgar...

Nuts!
And somwhere in the middle of all that, came the Crimea, the US Civil war, the Boer War, Boxer rebellion and so many other things that seem so far removed from me and now; but really only happen within a couple of life times.

Makes my head spin.

This is such a brilliant thread. The two degrees of separation to Trafalgar is utterly cosmic.

It's only since I've become a dad that this happens, but when I look at my little girl and think about the canvas of time stretching out in front of her; thinking about her in the year 2100 at age 83; likely a grandmother; perhaps even a great grandmother; a grandmother to whom and in what world - it gives me that same feeling of being adrift in the Pacific that you get when you start to wonder about the vastness of space.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#28 Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
November 13, 2018, 11:03:54 pm
Chatting with my dad recently he mentioned his dad fought with Monty in North Africa and his grandfather was in the trenches. He said neither of them talked about their experiences. His said his grandfather was always distant, his dad less so. I was only young when my grandfather passed, but I still remember him being somewhat cold. To go from tripe dressing in Yorkshire to the front line must leave very deep scars on the psyche. I hope my son's never have to face such horrors.

And I'm not talking about the tripe dressing...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#29 Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
February 07, 2019, 01:36:51 pm
For anybody who enjoyed the film, Peter Jackson has done a podcast where he talks a bit about the brief they were give by the Imperial War Museum and how they went about colourisation, sound etc.

https://www.recode.net/2018/12/15/18141509/peter-jackson-wwi-world-war-they-shall-not-grow-old-documentary-kara-swisher-recode-decode-podcast

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal