UKBouldering.com

Family friendly April bouldering (Read 2333 times)

Ged

• junky
Family friendly April bouldering
October 27, 2018, 07:46:17 pm
Having never been on a bouldering trip anywhere, we now have a little un and are Keen to avoid the stress of roped climbing and go on bouldering trip somewhere next April. Have 3 weeks. We will probably start anf finish with a few days in font, having done bugger all there, but keen for ideas for other places further afield. The criteria are....(pretty much in order)...

Nice place with good camping or a gite if likely to be cold.at night. This is definitely the most important thing.  Good walking, pretty villages, all that sort of stuff.

Baby accessible bouldering, so probably nothing with too much of a narly walk in.

Good easier stuff.to.climb. Maybe v1 v2.

I like the look of targasonne. Too cold still?

Or go rogue and get a house in torridon for a fortnight?

Bradders

• forum hero
#1 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 27, 2018, 08:09:05 pm
I'd just stay in Font if I were you. It doesn't get any better!

stokesy

• regular
#2 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 27, 2018, 08:23:17 pm
I spent three weeks in Targasonne in April 2012, and at times it was perfect, but we did get two massive dumps of snow in that time (I.e. a couple of feet worth). They melted pretty quickly. It was bloody freezing at night (I camped), so maybe look for gites. The good stuff doesn't really kick in till f6A but there's a lot at that grade and upwards. Hope that helps!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 29, 2018, 05:51:53 pm

Or go rogue and get a house in torridon for a fortnight?

Good though it is, there's not enough there at that grade (or indeed any, unless you do a lot of seiging) to keep you occupied for a week.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 29, 2018, 06:24:40 pm
I'm sure you're already aware but Targassonne is a long drive from Font at ~9/10hrs....  I really like and rate it but I wouldn't recommend leaving font and spending a full day driving to it. Personally,  I'd just stay in font.  People seem to enjoy and have good trips there but I struggle to comprehend how solely from a skin perspective -  there's generally a lot of crimping and the rock's , well, rock hard, large grained granite.  I usually find my skin's pretty knackered and crimped out after just one decent session there. 

powderpuff

• regular
#5 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 30, 2018, 08:59:27 am
3 weeks of bouldering, im very jealous, im sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide.

:agree:

I would stay in font as your surrounded by great food, you can go into Paris on rest days and the traveiling isn't too bad either.

T_B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
October 30, 2018, 12:36:50 pm
I'm sure you're already aware but Targassonne is a long drive from Font at ~9/10hrs....  I really like and rate it but I wouldn't recommend leaving font and spending a full day driving to it. Personally,  I'd just stay in font.  People seem to enjoy and have good trips there but I struggle to comprehend how solely from a skin perspective -  there's generally a lot of crimping and the rock's , well, rock hard, large grained granite.  I usually find my skin's pretty knackered and crimped out after just one decent session there.

:agree:

We went for 10 days from Font. Nice campsite for the kids, but I wouldn't go back for the bouldering. It'll be too cold for family camping in April I would imagine. If that doesn't put the nail in the coffin, then keep in mind it's pretty limited for easy stuff.

Font on the other hand is the best bouldering area in the world...

Ged

• junky
#7 Re: Family friendly April bouldering
November 13, 2018, 01:38:49 pm
Thanks for the tips. 

Any of the Switzerland venues fit the bill for April?  If it's a case of nice in the day but cold at night then more than happy to get somewhere indoor to stay

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal