UKBouldering.com

Leeds Housing Solicitors (Read 2400 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 10:35:27 am
We've offered on a house in north Leeds and need to think about solicitors pretty sharpish... I've got a recommendation but it's not local - they are up in Cumbria and one which my sister has used a lot as part of her many housing purchases.

Is it a problem using someone who's not close by? I'm visiting home on Friday so could do all the initial paperwork & ID checks in person then and deal with them over the phone after that.

Or are there any based in Leeds which anyone could recommend?

Also, am I missing anything important?

• House has a board room
    Deposit is sorted
    Survey would be done via mortgage company & money available to pay for it
    Solicitor TBC
    No Removal costs for us
    Money available for some initial items & buildings insurance. No decoration needed.
    No mortgage fees or stamp duty.
    Lots of stress testing on mortgage repayments / amortization. Remains affordable even if base rate quadruples tomorrow

God this process is stressful.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#1 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 10:36:07 am
Approx costs of any recommended solicitors would be great too!

Bradders

• forum hero
#2 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 10:47:27 am
I used Ryan Property Law in Pudsey last year. Superb service and I felt it was a real advantage being able to go into the office to get things sorted, although I'm aware there are loads that'll do everything remotely.

jshaw

• addict
#3 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 12:00:44 pm
Recently been through this as a first time buyer.

Have you considered a private survey? The survey our bank did was a quick look via a drive by and didn't provide any useful information about the structure or state of repair of the house.

I used a local solicitor. I found it convenient to pop in, especially if something needed signing. You may have to go in to sign the final contracts.

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 12:18:22 pm
Have you considered a private survey? The survey our bank did was a quick look via a drive by and didn't provide any useful information about the structure or state of repair of the house.

Would very much agree with this as the way to go. Gives peace of mind at the very least, and could potentially knock some money off the price or provide some repairs before you exchange if it identifies anything of concern.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 01:28:38 pm
As someone who's had terrible drain problems (fortunately covered on insurance, but still a cellar half full of "waste")...I'd pay the c. 100 quid and get someone to camera the drains too.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 02:47:26 pm
Thanks for all the replies - Brad I've got a quote from those you have mentioned, cheers. I'm waiting to hear the final quote from the other back home to see if it's any cheaper but if not I'd go with these.

Just found out my Help to Buy ISA isn't eligible which is a pain in the arse. That's a few thousand extra which I hadn't considered.

I'd not considered that one TTT, anyone you can recommend?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 03:36:57 pm
After the first company we used messed up the work (partly contributing to the cellar full of sewage - avoid Drain Jet from Pudsey), I used TPS247 for a couple of pump-outs.

http://findit.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/company/532660722397184

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 08:01:32 pm

Would very much agree with this as the way to go. Gives peace of mind at the very least, and could potentially knock some money off the price or provide some repairs before you exchange if it identifies anything of concern.

:agree:

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 10:34:47 pm
I had an engineers report/survey on my house in Hull. £250 (12 years ago) superb - from someone who knew and understood the oddities Of the local houses rather than a surveyor from a national company who would have come from Leeds etc... and just given it a once over.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#10 Re: Leeds Housing Solicitors
November 13, 2018, 11:42:18 pm
Have never understood how someone can buy a 6 figure sum item and jib at spending a few hundred on checking it out. That’s something like 0.02% of the cost to make sure you don’tburn £10,000s on a poor purchase.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal