UKBouldering.com

For and By (Read 7023 times)

user deactivated

For and By
October 17, 2018, 07:41:48 pm
Something that I’ve been wondering about for a while is the reporting of significant ascents on ukc. They use ‘for’ or ‘by’ to indicate (I’m guessing) repeats and FA’s respectively. Either way it needles me for some reason, maybe beacause it seems a bit reductionist making the climb / grade the most important thing a trophy to be ‘had’ or ‘owned’.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

user deactivated

#2 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 08:56:28 pm
Haha excellent stuff. It wasn’t so much the grammar that bothered me as the implication that you are gaining or winning a climb similar to a ‘gold medsl’ As Natalie Berry said in that thread. As soon as I see that headline I can’t bare to read the article.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 09:21:47 pm
Just use sent or send.

😃

Simples Dudes!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 09:29:09 pm
No, Dan, you can't bear it.  ::)

Steve R

• forum abuser
#5 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 09:42:23 pm
Amen.  It is troubling.  Other personal pet graters -  being 'in' the route (no, you're on the route), 'getting it done' (make it sound like you have to) or 'boulder' (you mean boulder problem or just problem)

user deactivated

#6 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 10:15:58 pm
No, Dan, you can't bear it.  ::)

I did wonder. It was ‘50 50’ for a moment

user deactivated

#7 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 10:21:01 pm
Amen.  It is troubling.  Other personal pet graters -  being 'in' the route (no, you're on the route), 'getting it done' (make it sound like you have to) or 'boulder' (you mean boulder problem or just problem)

In the bag, got X grade,

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: For and By
October 17, 2018, 10:23:21 pm
It’s weird (a bit like “taking” a grade) but isn’t it just the thing where journalists end up using slightly unusual language to avoid repeating themselves?

being 'in' the route (no, you're on the route),

I’ve always assumed this is used by non-native English speakers literally translating what they’d say in their language.

'boulder' (you mean boulder problem or just problem)

:agree: This is just needlessly confusing. I saw a post on a Facebook group encouraging a first-time Anston visitor that they didn’t need a guide as “the boulders are obvious”.  :-\ As I say, needlessly confusing.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#9 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 01:23:15 pm

I’ve always assumed this is used by non-native English speakers literally translating what they’d say in their language.

I find this theory unlikely to be true, I can't think of an European language where you say “in” a route. In German it's “an der Kletterroute” (I believe... help me muencher...) in Swedish you say ”på leden”, in Norwegian “på ruta”.

It's true that the French say that someone is climbing “dans la voie” (but they would say that they are driving “sur la route”). What do the say in Spanish? En? I have no idea.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:31:02 pm by jwi »

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#10 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 01:26:30 pm
Something that I’ve been wondering about for a while is the reporting of significant ascents on ukc. They use ‘for’ or ‘by’ to indicate (I’m guessing) repeats and FA’s respectively. Either way it needles me for some reason, maybe beacause it seems a bit reductionist making the climb / grade the most important thing a trophy to be ‘had’ or ‘owned’.

Why, what do you take from the experience Dan? It's the money, right.

Spare me the phenomenological claptrap, and maybe you'll start pulling some big numbers.

Anyway, I'm not taken in. Are you just trying to post out to a wider audience?

Numbers mean numbers.

Init

Connies. There, I said it.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 03:18:38 pm

I find this theory unlikely to be true, I can't think of an European language where you say “in” a route. In German it's “an der Kletterroute” (I believe... help me muencher...)

I think "in" would actually be more common. Not a native speaker though.

What would be great would be if somebody could actually get the message across to Euro grimpeurs that the "b" in climbing is silent. Lots of people - including Adam Ondra whose English is generally excellent - sort of half pronounce it. As if they've been taught in school that they shouldn't, but they can't quite fully believe it.

remus

• forum hero
#12 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 03:29:46 pm
What would be great would be if somebody could actually get the message across to Euro grimpeurs that the "b" in climbing is silent. Lots of people - including Adam Ondra whose English is generally excellent - sort of half pronounce it. As if they've been taught in school that they shouldn't, but they can't quite fully believe it.

"No no, it's pronounced cliMing...as in minger!"

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#13 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 04:46:44 pm

I find this theory unlikely to be true, I can't think of an European language where you say “in” a route. In German it's “an der Kletterroute” (I believe... help me muencher...)

I think "in" would actually be more common. Not a native speaker though.

Dictionaries, I like dictionaries. I recommend anyone who regularly speaks a foreign language to look up the pronunciation of the words they have to use, even if they think they know how it's pronounced. I for one was quite surprised when I looked up how to say various sailing/shipping words I only knew from reading.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#14 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 07:14:11 pm
My translation theory must be wrong then. Perhaps it comes from confusion over the use of in/ on/ at. There used to be a (presumably non-native English speaking) guy who posted pictures on UKC with captions like “brixtonclimber in gritstone- millstone edge” and “brixtonclimber in southern sandstone”.

What would be great would be if somebody could actually get the message across to Euro grimpeurs that the "b" in climbing is silent.

Urgh, flashbacks to my time in Spanish hospital. The nurses only recognised the mispronunciations of cleemBer and cleemBing and I didn’t want to mispronounce them myself so would continue climbing sentences in my newly-acquired Spanish. This Spanish was acquired under the influence of morphine, fentanyl and God knows what else so was doubtless far more hilariously inaccurate than their English.

user deactivated

#15 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 09:16:46 pm

Spare me the phenomenological claptrap, and maybe you'll start pulling some big numbers.

Numbers mean numbers.

Init

If I understand what you’re saying Dave, which I’m not fully sure I do, I did think about this before starting a thread but then thought ‘nah that’s not the case’. But I see why that might be thought of as a trolling desire for attention.

Edit: I’m definitely not sure what you meant about money or big numbers. Neither of which has ever been or ever likely will be part of my climbing life. I did get a free down jacket when I made vids last year tho. Although life is currently in the way of that happening again.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:25:19 pm by Dan Cheetham »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#16 Re: For and By
October 18, 2018, 10:06:40 pm
Je dirais ‘dans la voie’(ayant- vachement grimpé en France) y diría ‘en la ruta’ en español but I’d say ‘on the route’ (being English).

Prepositions, what a palaver! I reckon the Romans had the right idea  ;)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#17 Re: For and By
October 19, 2018, 11:38:01 am
Having had to do both in my youth, I much prefer memorising prepositional phrases to case endings.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#18 Re: For and By
October 19, 2018, 12:19:59 pm

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#19 Re: For and By
October 19, 2018, 12:34:11 pm
People that take the grade have to accept the grade as well, which is rather more rare.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#20 Re: For and By
October 20, 2018, 08:20:52 pm

Numbers mean numbers.

Init

If I understand what you’re saying Dave, which I’m not fully sure I do, I did think about this before starting a thread but then thought ‘nah that’s not the case’. But I see why that might be thought of as a trolling desire for attention.

Edit: I’m definitely not sure what you meant about money or big numbers. Neither of which has ever been or ever likely will be part of my climbing life. I did get a free down jacket when I made vids last year tho. Although life is currently in the way of that happening again.

Hi Dan.

:P

Very much tongue in cheek there!

I appreciate the sentiment of your original post very much.

:thumbsup:

Dave.

For a bit of context, I was amazed at the criticism directed at James Pearson after his grading of Walk of Life.

A fantastic piece of climbing, and a great effort to establish, which I felt should have been applauded at every level, not derided because the number was "wrong".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#21 Re: For and By
October 20, 2018, 10:28:08 pm
Aye.

Not many people downstarring Keen Youth's routes are there....

user deactivated

#22 Re: For and By
October 20, 2018, 10:33:27 pm
Cheers Dave, I realised that after replying I may have misinterpreted your tounge in cheek reply. Although it did lead me to read about the study of phenomenology so can’t be a bad thing. It was on the back of 3 days therapy work then 2 x 12 hour days roofing so might have been feeling on the sensitive side 🙄. Hope you’re well!

Dan

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#23 Re: For and By
October 21, 2018, 02:56:28 am
Cheers Dave, I realised that after replying I may have misinterpreted your tounge in cheek reply. Although it did lead me to read about the study of phenomenology so can’t be a bad thing. It was on the back of 3 days therapy work then 2 x 12 hour days roofing so might have been feeling on the sensitive side 🙄. Hope you’re well!

Dan

Not at all offended. Good sentiments expressed. Good to see you back in the summer.  :2thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#24 Re: For and By
November 21, 2018, 08:57:57 pm
BUMP for fun.

user deactivated

#25 Re: For and By
November 21, 2018, 09:05:21 pm
Why did the mushroom tell jokes?