UKBouldering.com

Dawn Wall and Free Solo films (Read 42419 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 13, 2018, 09:14:24 pm
If anyone has a spare ticket for Saturdays screening at Kendall then I’m in the market...

sdm

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 13, 2018, 09:24:20 pm
Someone is selling some on the other channel.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#27 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 14, 2018, 08:13:33 am
Well spotted sdm - I’ve pm’d them

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#28 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 14, 2018, 08:26:08 am
Saw it last night, just as previously described on this channel. Well made for all audiences and I liked the merging of historic pieces and "real-time" ascent. El Cap looked great on the big screen  :clap2:

Ged

• junky
#29 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 14, 2018, 10:55:57 am
Anyone know when these will be available for download?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#30 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 18, 2018, 09:39:11 am
Saw the premiere of Free Solo in Kendal last night. It is the most moving and inspirational film I’ve ever seen on lots of different levels beside the obvious.

T_B

• forum hero
#31 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 09:53:12 am
I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is very, very good.

I think they have managed to make it work for a wide range of audiences, which is a triumph. However, they tip toed around the fact that he's blatantly got ASD, presumably because he's not had a formal diagnosis? It would have been really interesting for this to be explored in more detail and would have taken the film to another level IMO.

His compulsion to do what he does is... disturbing. I admire him for his special ability, but at the same time I feel sad for him. I left feeling lucky that I have more in my life than just climbing.

I wouldn't expect to see anything like that again in my lifetime. Maybe he'll solo something else of a similar standard, but I can't see it being documented/filmed in the same way.

Just incredible.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#32 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 10:42:42 am
However, they tip toed around the fact that he's blatantly got ASD, presumably because he's not had a formal diagnosis? It would have been really interesting for this to be explored in more detail and would have taken the film to another level

You mean handled sensitively.

Yes he’s obviously on the spectrum but I like that the audience can make up their own minds on where on the spectrum and the wider implications and  provoking you to explore your own views and even personality with respect to climbing.

His girlfriends attempts to make him more emotionally and socially aware is endearing and his cack handed attempts to try to be so are at times hilarious

2 Tru

• regular
#33 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 01:33:04 pm
For those that live in that their London there is a showing on the 11th December with a Q&A afterwards with Honnald et al.

http://genesiscinema.co.uk/GenesisCinema.dll/Booking?Booking=TSelectItems.waSelectItemsPrompt.TcsWebMenuItem_0.TcsWebTab_0.TcsPerformance_14592578.TcsSection_4496897

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#34 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 04:28:27 pm
For those that live in that their London there is a showing on the 11th December with a Q&A afterwards with Honnald et al.

http://genesiscinema.co.uk/GenesisCinema.dll/Booking?Booking=TSelectItems.waSelectItemsPrompt.TcsWebMenuItem_0.TcsWebTab_0.TcsPerformance_14592578.TcsSection_4496897

It seems this is a simultaneous satellite linkup Q&A with other showings. I've booked to go to one in Nottingham and there's a concurrent one in Worksop too. I imagine the strange kickoff time (starts at 6, over by 8:30!) is to accomodate US time. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#35 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 04:38:54 pm
I'd suggest "intelligent" rather than "on the spectrum".

I thought it was typically the case that those with aspergers are often very intelligent

T_B

• forum hero
#36 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 05:04:05 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but to my mind there was an opportunity with this film to educate people about ASD.

Maybe as Shark says the filmmakers were "being sensitive". However, ASD isn't about intelligence or lack of and the world would be a better place if we stopped stigmatising people for "being on the spectrum" and instead tried to understand better what that means for them.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#37 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 05:26:28 pm
[
Dunno. I am not expert. Honnold seems to me remarkably similar to lots of successful people I have met in academia and especially in my previous career, mostly male but not exclusively, who combine a hyper-rational approach to life with perceived insensitivity. My suspicion is that the eagerness to label them as "on the spectrum", "unempathic" or abnormal in some way is born from factors like jealousy or intellectual incomprehension rather than any kind of understanding of clinical psychology. Honnold's foundation is a good example of how people like that can be misunderstood. He appears "cold" to some but actually donates a third of his income and makes a considered objective effort to make the maximum long-term impact from his foundation rather then being blown around by whatever fashionable emotive concern has most recently hit Facebook. Not unlike Bill Gates actually.

Good points.

However, ASD isn't about intelligence or lack of and the world would be a better place if we stopped stigmatising people for "being on the spectrum" and instead tried to understand better what that means for them.

If it is stigmatising to say "on the spectrum" why do you keep referring to it as ASD which stands for Autism Spectrum Disorder

T_B

• forum hero
#38 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 05:30:42 pm
Cos that's what the medical professionals here in the UK refer to it as. Nowadays Aspergers is described as a part of ASD, which is a more collective term.

I'm not suggesting it's bad to say "on the spectrum" but people do tend to use that phrase in a derogatory way (I know I certainly have in the past).

(I have a child with ASD so I am reasonably informed).

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#39 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 05:37:10 pm

I think it is useful and everyday way of understanding/categorising some people's personalities. Its not derogatory I think just observational. 

One of mine may be on the spectrum  ;)

user deactivated

#40 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 05:59:07 pm

Its not derogatory I think just observational. 

Not entirely convinced by that Shark. It’s probably up to the person you’re describing as ‘on the spectrum’ to decide whether they find it derogatory or not. I wonder what Oliver Sacks would say?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#41 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 06:14:15 pm
Well the D does stand for disorder. Agree with habrich, it would seem to say more about the priorities of those who devise the terminology.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#42 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 06:36:31 pm

I thought it was typically the case that those with aspergers are often very intelligent

Dunno. I am not expert. Honnold seems to me remarkably similar to lots of successful people I have met in academia and especially in my previous career, mostly male but not exclusively, who combine a hyper-rational approach to life with perceived insensitivity. My suspicion is that the eagerness to label them as "on the spectrum", "unempathic" or abnormal in some way is born from factors like jealousy or intellectual incomprehension rather than any kind of understanding of clinical psychology. Honnold's foundation is a good example of how people like that can be misunderstood. He appears "cold" to some but actually donates a third of his income and makes a considered objective effort to make the maximum long-term impact from his foundation rather then being blown around by whatever fashionable emotive concern has most recently hit Facebook. Not unlike Bill Gates actually.

Very well put.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#43 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 06:55:58 pm

Its not derogatory I think just observational. 

Not entirely convinced by that Shark. It’s probably up to the person you’re describing as ‘on the spectrum’ to decide whether they find it derogatory or not. I wonder what Oliver Sacks would say?

I take it back. It is insensitive. And lazy thinking.

webbo

• forum hero
#44 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 07:26:38 pm

Not in all cases, those that are high functioning are often very intelligent. You generally don’t hear  about those that are struggling to function unless you work in health or social care

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#45 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 19, 2018, 08:07:47 pm
Anyone know when these will be available for download?

Dawn Wall is tomorrow http://www.dawnwall-film.com/buy-now.php

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#46 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 20, 2018, 02:06:58 pm
Cos that's what the medical professionals here in the UK refer to it as. Nowadays Aspergers is described as a part of ASD, which is a more collective term.

I'm not suggesting it's bad to say "on the spectrum" but people do tend to use that phrase in a derogatory way (I know I certainly have in the past).

I have one too, and can confirm this. However, in the US Asperger's is still considered a separate condition, whereas in the UK it's regarded as part of the spectrum these days.

Ged

• junky
#47 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 20, 2018, 03:00:59 pm
Any ideas about free solo?

Ged

• junky
#48 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 20, 2018, 03:05:35 pm
I've not seen the film yet, but working in education I do find the overuse of the terms a bit annoying. It seems like anybody who is a bit quirky and good at remembering facts is labelled, by non experts I hasten to add, as "on the spectrum". It seems to be a bit of a trend thing, along with anyone who likes to be tidy being described as, or describing themselves as, OCD.

I think it's probably fairly insulting to both the person being misdiagnosed, and to people who are "neuro-atypical". (this label seems to be becoming more widely used as it removes the disorder part).

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#49 Re: Dawn Wall and Free Solo films
November 20, 2018, 03:25:58 pm
Agree Ged.

Also, there is the misconception of correlation between something "neuro-atypical" and the use of the word disorder.

I've had many discussions about "Asperger types" in climbing, and
in my own struggles, it was suggested many years ago that I have an assessment for Asperger's - which came back negative.

I'd suggest that Honnold's experiences in relation to "the wall" are far easier for us to relate to than we'd like to recognise. He just finds that environment far more comfortable than the "off the wall" environment of normal (?) life, than (some of  ;)) the rest of us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal