UKBouldering.com

Owt for Nowt (Read 85747 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#225 Re: Owt for Nowt
August 05, 2021, 08:52:43 am
Channelled by inner DaveThomas90 earlier this week - my missus spotted that a house round the corner had a skip with some wooden stools in it.

Popped over, had a word and walked away with them. They'd seen better days but after an hour of sanding they've come up nice!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#226 Re: Owt for Nowt
August 06, 2021, 02:11:23 am
Sweet work there 3Ts
 ;D :thumbsup:

I've had some great conversations with folk while rummaging, and most people seem really glad to see things being given a second life. Still really boggles me what you do see thrown out - doubly, when you consider the cost of a large skip these days.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#227 Re: Owt for Nowt
August 06, 2021, 08:17:30 am
I find the municipal waste dump incredibly depressing, looking at what people chuck out; bikes, exercise bikes, kids toys. Shame you can't collect from there. Although I stopped by a few weeks back with a Stanley knife and slipped out a few m of magnets from the doors of the old fridges for something I'm doing on the van.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#228 Re: Owt for Nowt
August 12, 2021, 11:45:06 am
Sweet work there 3Ts
 ;D :thumbsup:

I've had some great conversations with folk while rummaging, and most people seem really glad to see things being given a second life. Still really boggles me what you do see thrown out - doubly, when you consider the cost of a large skip these days.

Yeah, was pretty happy with it - I need to sort out a bit of rot on the bottoms of the legs but I reckon they'll be alright.

I gather that at end of term-time a trip round studentsville in Leeds is worth doing, might give that a go next summer.

In related "stuff not going to landfill" news, Mrs TTT found someone on Facebook giving away some Barbie stuff for free, I popped over and picked it up and there was loads of it. Saving a load of stuff being chucked out, and plastic stuff too.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#229 Re: Owt for Nowt
August 12, 2021, 11:47:08 am

In related "stuff not going to landfill" news,

Thought that was going to be a post about your new ride 😁

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#230 Re: Owt for Nowt
September 24, 2021, 06:03:47 am
It's illuminating to see what people just chuck away these days.

Found this in a skip earlier  :2thumbsup:
Been thinking about buying one.

The charger plugged into it wasn't working, so just plugged in a random 12V one I had at home.

Bingo  ;D

By the by, re matched betting, just so folk know the sort of thing that's (sometimes) available, Befair give two "odds boosts", a free accumulator bet, and three boosts on horse bet odds every day at the moment.

The first two can be placed, and matched with a corresponding "lay" bet, in less time than it takes my PC to boot up. Worth 8-10+ a day. You do need to have a level of account activity on the Betfair exchange to qualify for the boosts, but it's properly "Owt fer Nowt".

I was training in the park the other day, but could check my phone to see if I had to update any of my other accumulator bets, which I could have done very easily between sets - or on a beach in Calpe.

Happy to share the Profit Accumulator referral link if anyone's interested. Mark20 found some independent software that's available to use - to work out matched bet lay stakes, although the support and alerts through the Profit Accumulator site make life very easy.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#231 Re: Owt for Nowt
September 26, 2021, 11:51:49 pm

Enjoying the new lamp, at 2a.m. down at Heeley boulder.

The only things with me when I left the house earlier, that weren't from a skip, were a debit card and a dodgy lockdown haircut, which I've got to stop doing myself.

Didn't really need the debit card, having just sold a catering flask I found recently.

Bring on some winter conditions  ;D

Wood FT

• forum hero
#232 Re: Owt for Nowt
September 27, 2021, 09:31:11 am
Dave, do you want two more? I used them in my cellar but got a new lightbulb for the mains light so they are surplus to requirement now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal