UKBouldering.com

Owt for Nowt (Read 105220 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#50 Re: Owt for Nowt
October 30, 2018, 01:44:16 pm
Anybody know where I might get a heavy duty sewing repair done in Sheffield on a DMM Highball pad? Foam is still good but the shoulder strap mounting has ripped free. Can't get a needle through by hand as it's 2 layers of cordura plus 1 or 2 of webbing.

DMM? They've repaired mine twice.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#51 Re: Owt for Nowt
October 30, 2018, 05:58:00 pm
I use one of these, or just sailmaker’s needles and a palm.
You can also pickup waxed sailmaker’s thread or whipping twine, quite cheaply.

https://www.force4.co.uk/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8ZZruoQG4a7zMDzvKU54-iVrDhoEZIeHfCZikW91dHYyyIGs4Qhk38aAoWYEALw_wcB

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#52 Re: Owt for Nowt
October 30, 2018, 10:43:09 pm
A palm.

I haven't used one of those for a very long time. Used to make bell ropes.

A fid is another obscure bit of kit..

Back on topic, had a message from a friend of mine after I'd suggested taking his batteries to the scrappy.

"Took 5 old car batteries and about 20kg of steel to scrap merchant this morning and made £67! Thanks for the tip."

Always worth a try. 👍

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#53 Re: Owt for Nowt
October 31, 2018, 11:23:26 am
Anybody know where I might get a heavy duty sewing repair done in Sheffield on a DMM Highball pad? Foam is still good but the shoulder strap mounting has ripped free. Can't get a needle through by hand as it's 2 layers of cordura plus 1 or 2 of webbing.

DMM? They've repaired mine twice.

I had the same issue and used an upside-down thimble to push the needle through. Make sure it's a large needle and use thick thread.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#54 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 02:54:43 pm
Some inspiration:

Dessert last night was a packet of chocolate covered pretzels I found in the gutter  ;D

I haven't driven a car for years - primarily because I feel I can't justify buying one for trips out to the Peak.

I'm wondering what to do now. I would consider buying some sort of classic car for occasional use, though still looking at motorbikes  :)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#55 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 03:15:23 pm
I'd be careful with classic cars Dave - the market is currently in a huge bubble and residuals are well inflated, especially on stuff like 80s hot hatches (an admittedly mint 205 GTi went for north of £40k recently at auction!). At the silly end, I gather you could pick a Ferrari F40 up for "only" 5-figure money 5/10 years ago and now they're in the millions.

Think the key if you want to dabble in that market is to try and ID the next thing that's going to come under the classic car cognoscenti's beady eye.

We've seen the surge in interest in 80s stuff, mainly driven by 80s kids getting older and having the disposal income to service their nostalgia I'm assuming. I think buying into that bubble would be unwise unless you have (say) a Renault 5 GT Turbo shaped itch you really, really want to scratch. I shudder to think what Ben and Jerry would get for their Real Thing fleet if they still had them!

Anyway, the "Playstation generation" are next up.

Honda NSX-es have already blown up, good / straight Skylines are hard to find - my money would be on finding a decent un-Barried mid-2000s era Civic Type R or similar. Would be reliable, quick enough to excite and I'm betting will appreciate if you look after it and don't heap the miles on.

andy_e

• forum hero
#56 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 03:20:49 pm
If anyone's got a Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak knocking around I'll take it off your hands.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#57 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 03:35:29 pm

Anyway, the "Playstation generation" are next up.

Might have to see what was in the original line-up of Gran Turismo 1.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#58 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 05:43:20 pm
my money would be on finding a decent un-Barried mid-2000s era Civic Type R or similar.

I think they are stored next to the hen's teeth and the rocking horse shit!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#59 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 06:34:33 pm

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#60 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 06, 2018, 06:52:13 pm
Seriously though, I was coming more from the perspective of buying something to cherish, irrespective of "yield".

That said, a later 996 Carrera wouldn't be a bad consideration, though they'll likely also be silly money by the time I have the cash!

My first car was a Triumph Herald. Never had a Vitesse, but always fancied one.

It's the investment in things which in my view is the important thing here - you know, like looking after houseplants, the cherishing is the reward, not what you'd get if you sold them.

I thought I'd start this thread to try to emphasise the opportunity that there already is, in the frankly immense level of resources available to us, if we only open our eyes - instead of living our lives according to what we're sold.

Having very little money, and getting by further on it, seemed an easier thing to share when Thatcher was in government, than it is now! The irony.

Living something of a Bohemian lifestyle seemed more readily celebrated, and dare I say it, more tenable than now.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#61 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 07, 2018, 12:38:38 pm

I'm with you on this - I can't bear the idea of people buying these things as an "investment", hiding them away in garages etc.

This may be the reason for their popularity as an investment nowadays, but I think a retro ride (if you choose well) definitely fits the mould of things you can live with / fettle / improve over time, while having the peace of mind of knowing you're not ploughing your time and affection into a money pit.

Not to mention that things of the late 90s onwards vintage aren't plagued by "old car problems" (like I used to have with my first car, a '78 Mini Clubman) like the cold/damp morning "will it start" lottery, terrible brakes, questionable general safety and so on.

Your're right on niche Porsches - they're another one which have caught the eye of the investors. The modern GT2/3 stuff is I think worth quite a bit more than the original list price.

This thread got me looking last night and spotted this..."interesting" (if you like that sort of thing!), low mileage, tidy - and plenty of room for pads!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Ford-sierra-1-8L-estate-car-Very-low-mileage-original-car/253958542814?hash=item3b211bd5de:g:84oAAOSwypZb2bz7

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:02:18 pm by tommytwotone »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#62 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 07, 2018, 02:11:43 pm
Thread has drifted somewhat! Like my driving technique!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#63 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 07, 2018, 02:38:42 pm

I'm with you on this - I can't bear the idea of people buying these things as an "investment", hiding them away in garages etc.

You'll want to go and watch your local "Classic Trial" where you will be treated (environmental carnage notwithstanding) to cars, some of which were first registered in the 1920s, hammering up vertical mud slopes and through deep ruts ridden with enormous boulders.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#64 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 01:23:37 am
When anyone says to me "Can't complain", I always ask, "Are you sure?".

I was sent a cheque this week for £175  :2thumbsup: when a pension fund provider gave incorrect advice about transferring funds. A bit of hassle, and now with the Ombudsman - who I've been pretty successful with before.

Oh, and I picked up £125 for sneaking in before the deadline for transferring bank accounts to NatWest  ;D

I complained to the Halifax a couple of years ago, when they made a "keying in error" while negotiating repayments. This prevented further adjustment, resulting in collection proceedings being started. Yikes. £450 to me when they acknowledged the cock up.

Don't be afraid to moan when it's justified!

Anyone else?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#65 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 08:18:48 am
I found a pound on the floor the other day. Can't complain about that!

SamT

• forum hero
#66 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 12:10:34 pm

https://www.force4.co.uk/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8ZZruoQG4a7zMDzvKU54-iVrDhoEZIeHfCZikW91dHYyyIGs4Qhk38aAoWYEALw_wcB

Love how the photos in the link above suggest you can use it to re-stitch your belay loop on your climbing harness.  :-\  :o

webbo

• forum hero
#67 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 12:25:00 pm

Love how the photos in the link above suggest you can use it to re-stitch your belay loop on your climbing harness.  :-\  :o
I used to have a bandolier that I had shortened and hand stitched it back together. I lent it a mate to Lead something and when I followed and arrived at the belay I found he used it as an extender from the belay :o

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#68 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 02:28:23 pm
I found a pound on the floor the other day. Can't complain about that!

Only a pound?  :P

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#69 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 05, 2018, 02:59:57 pm

I used to have a bandolier that I had shortened and hand stitched it back together. I lent it a mate to Lead something and when I followed and arrived at the belay I found he used it as an extender from the belay :o

Considering the loads on some of the rigging I used to repair of even make from scratch, that shouldn’t be an issue.
I skippered a replica of an 1850 American warship (Classic Schooner, similar lines and rig to the later Grand Banks Fishing Schooners like Blue Nose, but a deeper forefoot).

The Main and Gaff weighed over a tonne. Gaff, Main and Boom, 2.5 with iron work, hanging on a topping lift that I woud resew and seize each spring. Her masts were 35 mtrs tall, including Topmasts, and stayed with Deadeyes and Lanyards, which we set up each spring. I could probably calculate the wind load, under full sail (including Fisherman), on a beam reach, ina 20knt breeeze, butt I’m at work; you can imagine though, based on this:
She carried 4900^2 foot of working canvas.

Yes, we made and repaired our own Bosuns chairs and life lines.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#70 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 06, 2018, 03:59:55 am
Wow.

Amazing stuff there OMM.

Do you have any photos? Would be great you old gaffer.

:2thumbsup:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#71 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 06, 2018, 08:40:15 am
Actually, a point of regret there.
I was Captain for almost three years, having joined her when she was sunk in a docking accident only a year after her first launch. But, I have no photos of her under sail, from outside the vessel and only some poorly scanned 35mm prints from the whole experience. Hard to imagine now, but I have more photos from my son’s 10 birthday a couple weeks ago, than I do for a whole, exciting, threes years of my life..

Still:

Some Greek island.

We actually built the Boom rest in Kushadasi, the crew and I bought the the Iroko at some dodgy shack lumber merchant and worked it on the dockside. We got a local Blacksmith to hammer out the iron work from old scaffolding bars and had them re-galavanised in an equally dodgy shack (there were stray cows outside, wandering around the mud streets, eatingplastic bags). I did the fancy rope work, from two old heaving-lines, washed in the launderette and varnished.

All the Brightwork wasdone traditionally. The varnish, wasn’t varnish, we made a much softer, but polishable, concoction of Linseed oil and diesel fuel (plus a secret ingredient). It doesn’t crack or peel off inthe sun (or come off on clothes, it dries rubbery) which was essential with the blocks and gear bashing off it, even with the rope thump mats we were constantly weaving and replacing.

The decks were real teak, with Iroko bollards and the hull was quadruple strip planked in mahogany (not traditional but much stronger).

Me on the right. Our Safro First Mate in the middle and my first wife/the Chef.

It’s not a great photo, but if you look, you can see some of the stuff that these days is twee, and affected decoration in yacht clubs and nautical themed cafes, but all once had a real purpose. The fancy rope work was there to stop damage to sails and spars and people.
You can see how the scaffolding bars were splt and worked to accept the Iroko beam. The running gear was built by an old codger in Britain, Colin Frake, all to 19th century patterns.
We stole most of the designs from Howard Chappels works, like the “American fishing schooners”. That fella spent years collecting details on those ships in their final days. They were the apex of sailing ship design. Forget the Clippers or even the Pilot Cutters, these things lasted well into age of steam.

She weighed 86 tonnes in the lift. Enough canvass for a whole yacht club of Westerly 30 footers, (and admittedly we had handcranked winches for the sheets, but everything else was “Handraulic” on a purchase), but she could be worked in a gale by three on deck and a helsman (one for the heads’les, one on the Fore’sles and one on the Mains). Two could set or stow the mains/fores, one for the Peak and one on the throat. There was almost nothing on the vessel that couldn’t be repaired with rope or a needle, or basic carpentry.

andy_e

• forum hero
#72 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 06, 2018, 09:09:39 am
That's beautiful OMM!

SamT

• forum hero
#73 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 06, 2018, 10:30:04 am
 :2thumbsup:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#74 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 06, 2018, 12:58:44 pm
Actually, I’d all but forgotten.

The ships bell.
It got polished up and moved to the boom rest in port, but it’s actual function, before radios and intercoms (and this was) was to signal the helm when paying or heaving anchor chain and it actually lives on the windlass at sea (with a muffler on when sailing).
From the helm, I used the horn to pass orders to the bow and indicate manoeuvring intentions.
Then, at anchor in fog, the bell and horn would be used to alert moving vessels to out presence; bell indicating bow and chains, horn, the stern.
So, not just a pretty affectation.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal