UKBouldering.com

bouldering at Jersey (Read 6107 times)

FOX

bouldering at Jersey
August 22, 2003, 06:48:21 pm
Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to boulder at Jersey?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 bouldering at Jersey
August 22, 2003, 08:51:03 pm
Never been there or heard of any specific bouldering but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any - you could try contacting http://jerseyrockclimbing.50megs.com , they should be able to point you in the right direction.

FOX

#2 bouldering at Jersey
August 23, 2003, 07:09:44 am
I posted a topic on thir website, and I am wainting for an aswer.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3 bouldering at Jersey
August 23, 2003, 08:45:09 am
Now i was in jersey last year and did some stuff but my impression was that there was loads of stuff to do but not done yet. The only bouldering bit we found was on a sea cliff out by the racecourse, some classic non tidal hvs there.(ill try and get some more details of the name)It was below the path but above the sea, nice pink granite wall with eliminates up to somewhere round v3.
There has to be more!!!There was some excellent looking walls in the park as you go east round the headland of st hellier BUT there were flower beds etc in the way>
The place where i mentioned before has a funky overhanging deep water solo wall in a chasm with a clear drop into deep water, soloed couple of things up to E2/3 with harder things poss!!!!
Go cross golfcourse, obvious car park, have to park anyway, go west along coastal path past bunker and youll see a couple of paths going down follow one of those and youll curve back on yourself dropping down to a big platform ogf rock, wall is to ur left over edge, chasm etc is further round.
Be good to hear if u find anymore

FOX

#4 bouldering at Jersey
August 25, 2003, 11:36:45 am
Thanks  :D
I think I will go there during september, or Guernesey.

Sergio

#5 bouldering at Jersey
August 26, 2003, 09:21:09 am
I lived in Jersey for two years and during that time I trawled the coasts, cliffs, fields and forests to find some bouldering, but was defeated. The rowts there are good. Quality granite, spectacular settings, etc, etc, but as for the "real stuff"......pants!

There is some traversing and eliminatey stuff to do at an Area called La Moye and on the cliffs near Beauport, and if your really desperate, there is a ropey climbing wall and campus board at the Fort in St.Helier. You can check the Jersey climbing club for info, but bouldering isnt really their bag.

To be honest, if you are only there for a while, I suggest renting a surfboard and wetsuit and get yorself down to St.Ouens and get soulful. The Autumn swells will be kicking in by then. Oh, and make sure on a saturday night you get the bus out to the Watersplash nightclub. Its the nuts.

FOX

#6 bouldering at Jersey
August 26, 2003, 11:46:48 am
Yeap, I will bring my surfboard and my wetsuit too  :8)
Thanks you for your informations  :D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: bouldering at Jersey
October 31, 2018, 06:05:39 pm
There's tons to do there, just never written up. From conversations on FB, boulderers seem to be in a minority. However I spotted good holiday stuff everywhere i went;

on the beach at Dicq, just east of the tidal pool, is a great looking buttress of immaculate granite, and some smaller boulders around it. Sadly the first time I was there was on a weekend afternoon and there were people in the shade on every side of the boulder and the second time was late evening just after tide had dropped and the whole base had been wet by the sea, and didn't get the sun in it to dry it. There were some highball and very blank parts on the sea facing side. Ideal for a bit of bouldering or micro solos with the family.

We also went to Green Island beach and at the far side there are some small gneiss boulders, which would be good of a potter if there with the family, and a larger buttress further round, that sadly has a mesh fence at the top.

From the beach at St Brelades you can see several small outcrops poking through the trees and on the edge of the beach, some of which may or may not be worth investigating if based nearby.  i was recommended to check out la Cotte de St Brelade, the headland to the east of the bay, but never had the time. I spotted some potential stuff in the headland to the west of the bay too, while out on a SUP.

Unfortunately I was only there for a week, and we just used busses, so proper exploration was difficult. Plus it was so damned hot, we spent most of our time in the water. Great place for a family holiday if you can stomach the cost of accomodation...

Oh and Watersplash might be fun at night, but don't eat there in the day, El Tico just down the beach is miles better!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal