UKBouldering.com

British crags in films (Read 12720 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
#25 Re: British crags in films
September 22, 2018, 04:40:02 pm
There's a Pete Postlethwaite film featuring climbing at Millstone, and on a side note some naked dancing under the cooling towers that were at the side of the M1. He might have been a decorator and possibly shagging his mates burd... Fucked if I can remember what it's called.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#26 Re: British crags in films
September 22, 2018, 07:15:32 pm
Thor’s cave was used in a decidedly dodgy 1988 version of Bram Stoker’s Lair of the White Work, featuring a young Hugh Grant.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: British crags in films
September 22, 2018, 09:08:48 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_of_Muchalls

can't find a clip, but this is just near the bouldering at Muchalls

this was filmed in Newtonhill, Muchalls, Stonehaven and Johnshaven, so can see assorted crags in the background. It's so shit it's actually funny

SamT

• forum hero
#28 Re: British crags in films
September 22, 2018, 11:09:20 pm
Wasn't the pete postlethwaite one "standing on the shoulders of giants". . I seem to recall various climbers and rope jocks getting extras parts for the pub scenes filmed in The Vine.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#29 Re: British crags in films
September 22, 2018, 11:43:12 pm
Among Giants

SamT

• forum hero
#30 Re: British crags in films
September 23, 2018, 07:48:28 am
YES!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#31 Re: British crags in films
September 23, 2018, 03:10:22 pm
Among Giants involved Mark Herbet (Dead Mans Shoes, This is England etc.) who was a mate of mine and GME’s when he was at Sheffield Poly.  They originally wanted to film at Gogarth but that proved too difficult so we decided on Millstone instead.  Our very own GME was the climbing double for James Thornton in the film and I was supposed to double for Pete Postlethwaite but had to pull out as I got my first proper job and had to go to London for my induction and training so missed the filming.

I’m pretty sure that UKB’s Fatboy Slimfast’s wife is an extra in The Princess Bride riding a horse in one the scenes cos she grew up in Stoney and it was all filmed nearby. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#32 Re: British crags in films
September 24, 2018, 09:07:30 am
And in that small moment, a life of fame eluded you.

In a non UK theme, a friend and ex climbing partner of mine Paul Avery (RIP) was Kevin Bacon's Stunt double in "the Air Up here", so i can claim 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon,.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: British crags in films
September 24, 2018, 12:19:27 pm
The story I heard on Among Giants was that it was written by the same guy as The Full Monty, who wrote it before TFM but it was made after - when money was being thrown at him to make another. Box office flop, but unmissable if you've got the vaguest connection to the Sheffield rope access/ climbing scene. Idol eyes always claimed he was in scene in the Vine, but I've yet to spot him.

gme

• forum hero
#34 Re: British crags in films
September 24, 2018, 05:23:43 pm
Simon Beaufort. Also wrote Slumdog millionaire and Salmon fishing in the Yemen amongst loads of others.

It was a proper craic working on it, not Hollywood levels but it seemed big budget when your a doley climber and they paid me what was at the time a lot of money.

Pete Postlethwaite was a real star, just how you imagine a film star should be, hard drinking party animal. How he ever got to set in a morning i never know. True gent though who it was a pleasure to meet.

I think the film was OK and worth a watch. It was pretty hyped up due to full Monty and suffered because of it.

T_B

• forum hero
#35 Re: British crags in films
September 24, 2018, 05:31:09 pm
I recall around the early '90s a bunch of Llanberis climbers were extras in a film that was (partly) shot in Nant Gwynant. Dunno if Elephantitus Cave or Clogwyn y Wenallt were in it. Does anyone remember the film?

Stabbsy

• junky
#36 Re: British crags in films
September 24, 2018, 05:56:41 pm
I recall around the early '90s a bunch of Llanberis climbers were extras in a film that was (partly) shot in Nant Gwynant. Dunno if Elephantitus Cave or Clogwyn y Wenallt were in it. Does anyone remember the film?
There’s a short bit of a Brosnan Bond film (World Is Not Enough, I think) filmed in Nant Gwynant. Guessing that’s not the one you mean though.

smithaldo

#37 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 09:15:09 am
In that Pete postlethwaite one I seem to remember that there’s a bit with  someone falling off ash tree wall, but they say that it’s three pebble slab or something?

At the time I watched it on tv it seemed an important mistake. Now I’m not so sure.

T_B

• forum hero
#38 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 09:33:00 am
There’s a short bit of a Brosnan Bond film (World Is Not Enough, I think) filmed in Nant Gwynant. Guessing that’s not the one you mean though.

No, it was 'Merlin of the Crystal Cave' I was thinking of. Pretty sure Martin Crook and co were extras. A simple google reveals this from the campsite website!

Films set at Llyn Gwynant   

Llyn Gwynant Campsite has many films and TV programs. We have provided a range of services in addition to a beautiful location, including transport, security and construction. Most recently last year we were involved in a major production which is still under wraps, as well as smaller Welsh, private and BBC productions. If you are interested in using the site as a location for filming, please contact us.

Tomb Raider 2 of 2003 saw Llyn Gwynant campsite become a Chinese village where Lara battles her adversary Chen Lo-  although scenes have been transformed by computer-generated imaging. Llyn Gwynant was the main Welsh location but the production also brought surprise benefits to others including 30 of the Chinese community in Caernarfon who were extras and a local farmer who supplied chickens, geese and a mule.

Merlin was a 1997 feature film partly filmed at Llyn Gwynant, where the morraine behind our toilet block hosted fabulous Camelot, with Sam Neill playing Merlin as a flesh-and-blood fellow of real passion, powerless to undo the spell of a rival who has imprisoned Merlin’s great love, Nimue.

Merlin of the Crystal Cave was a 1991 mini-series and film tellling the story of Camelot and King Arthur from the perspective of Merlin, as he grows to become the greatest enchanter legend has ever known. A crystal cave unlocks his mystical gifts of prophecy, powers of conjuring and herbal healing, and Merlin sets off on a search for his father, a quest that takes him from foreign shores to palace intrigues and bloody battlefields and thrusts him into the center of the birth of the British Empire.

nik at work

• forum hero
#39 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 10:13:40 am
Good among giants knowledge.

Weren't the llanberis slate quarries used in some 80's fantasy type thing? (Krull???). I'm sure I heard/read about loads of skulls being left up there after filming???...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#40 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 11:00:45 am
The 1991 Robin Hood film (that sunk without trace against the Costner movie) was filmed around Frodsham. I had a random chat with some guy in Pete's Eats this summer about various films he'd roadied on. I was tired and hungry so can't remember the names, some dragons and faeries stuff. Hope that helps.

andy popp

• forum hero
#41 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 11:31:26 am
Weren't the llanberis slate quarries used in some 80's fantasy type thing? (Krull???). I'm sure I heard/read about loads of skulls being left up there after filming???...

Yes. I can't remember its name but I don't think it was Krull. There was loads of work around and, yes, the quarries were littered with props.

SamT

• forum hero
#42 Re: British crags in films
September 25, 2018, 11:47:49 am
I thought I recalled the slate quarries being used in the 80s series "The Tripods" which I used to love as a kid.

tracked it down here..

https://archive.org/details/TheTripodscomplete/The+Tripods+S1.E8-13 dot avi

(cant get the link to work properly)  (skip to ~1.48).

Its not Llanberis though.  I'm not quite sure where it is - think its prob Blaenau.

There's even a bit of climbing in that scene.  Not bad effects for the 80s budget Beeb series either. 
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:53:05 am by SamT »

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#43 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 11:17:07 am
Did anyone recognise the grit crag featured in Doctor Who on Sunday?

tomtom

• forum hero
#44 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 11:23:58 am
Did anyone recognise the grit crag featured in Doctor Who on Sunday?

Tilberwaite

Teaboy

• forum hero
#45 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 11:40:32 am

Yes. I can't remember its name but I don't think it was Krull. There was loads of work around and, yes, the quarries were littered with props.

One of those props featured in a DMM advert at the time, Jimmy Jewel stood next to a pile of skulls in fluro Ron Hills and some Sportive shoes. The advert byline made some tenuous connection between the skulls and climbing.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#46 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 11:58:26 am
I think the film was Willow, which I recall being good clean cheesy fun.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#47 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 12:02:53 pm

bigd942

• addict
#48 Re: British crags in films
October 12, 2018, 06:49:12 pm
Good among giants knowledge.

SamT

• forum hero
#49 Re: British crags in films
November 14, 2018, 11:32:50 am
Higgar Tor was very nearly in "The Informer" last week on the beeb.

Had a few shots of the main cop dude outside his car on that bad bend at the top of the dale, looking over towards higgar on a snowy day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal