UKBouldering.com

The boiler room.. (Read 1463 times)

SamT

• forum hero
The boiler room..
October 10, 2018, 09:33:38 am

No, not that dodgy homo sauna in Attercliffe, nor the tiresome Youtube channel...

Far more mundane than that.

Replacing our very old (but utterly reliable) boiler as part of our house renovation and just after any knowledge really.

Moving to a combi as we want more space in the bathroom, and can get rid of the cylinder/header tanks.
Having the lead water main replaced to give us a better flow/pressure into the house, since at the moment, its pretty dire on account of tiny lead bore supply pipe.

Plumber is trying to sell us some Korean boiler that he seems to be affiliated with - Navien.  Bit unsure. Whilst I'm sure they're fine, just like Kia cars or what ever, I'm just a bit shy, and can forsee lots of sucking of teeth by plumbers in the future - "never seen one of them"... "just cant get the parts mate" etc.

Leaning towards something German, Worcester Bosch or Vaillant. 

Anyone any recent experience.  All the chat seems to be about extended warranties, which makes my heart sink a little.  It's basically an admission that it will break down sooner or later. 

ta

[/most-boring-topic-evuur]

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: The boiler room..
October 10, 2018, 09:44:44 am
MrsTT had her pipes seen to recently (fnarr fnarr) and had her 20 year old boiler replaced with a new Worcester combi and a Nest. All new combis are condenser now too..

Its great. Much better and seems to use less gas too.

It has a 10 year warranty - BUT - you have to have it serviced every year (condenser pipes/flue has to be cleaned) and it had to have a water filter fitted for the warranty too. This also has to be checked/cleaned every year. That said - this can be done by Dave (the boiler man) rather than having to get Worcester to do it etc.. As the newer boiler was smaller - it all (inc filter) fitted into the same space as the old one. Took a day to get the swap done. He lagged the condensor drain too so they don't freeze and block.

My parents were sold some brand I'd never heard of by their plumber and its been a disaster. Replaced after 5 years. You may well get a heavy steer from the plumber depending on what deal they are getting etc...

Get several quotes etc...

The Nest I'm ambivalent about. Looks great - but the auto learning thing is a bit hit and miss... I think you can now get equivalent ish wifi connected thermostats for £30 on amazon... that allow you to do the whole remote on/off heating thing...  Its still early days though as the heating has only been on properly for a couple of weeks now.

galpinos

• forum hero
#2 Re: The boiler room..
October 10, 2018, 12:10:12 pm
We have a Baxi combi, which replaced an old Baxi combi (managed 19yrs).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal