UKBouldering.com

Bouldering walls with a kids area Yorkshire. (Read 5826 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Bouldering walls with a kids area Yorkshire.
September 17, 2018, 10:45:28 am
Anyone know which walls in North or West Yorkshire are suitable for a 4 year old. I know of the mini works and Rockcity.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The Pudsey Depot has a very small kid's corner.

dunnyg

• forum hero
The climbing lab leeds has a kids section, i'm not too up to scratch on what 4 year olds can do but might be worth a look?

Catcheemonkey

• addict
I usually take my 4 year old to the Lab in Leeds, unlike the Depot this has a partitioned off area for kids - so reduces the risk of him getting squashed running around under the adult bouldering.

The Rock Tots sessions at the Depot are well worth a visit - really well pitched for 3-4 year olds - they mix climbing with other activities to keep young kids engaged, which successfully kept my son motivated for a full hour (no mean feat).

If you can make it to Hull, Rockcity has a good dedicated kids area with castle battlements to scale (and a slide) which was pretty cool.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
^^^ what he said.

In fact I take my 4-year-old daughter to The Lab, despite The Depot being my preference for a climb myself.

Say what you want about the rest of the wall but the fact the kid's bit is a) specifically partitioned off from the rest of the wall and b) set properly for smaller people is worth the entry alone.

Oh, and also they do a reduced price "climbing supervisor" rate if you're looking after children, in recognition of the fact you're not going to be getting a full session in yourself, which I think is a great idea.

As Will said, the Depot's got a kid's area, but it's a tiny corner. There is a kid's circuit but my little un would be too small to reach then holds on that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

If you can make it to Hull, Rockcity has a good dedicated kids area with castle battlements to scale (and a slide) which was pretty cool.

They have this at Eden Rock Edinburgh too, our kids loved it. Do they have similar at Eden Rock Carlisle?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
They have got a good kids area but maybe a bit of a trek.

webbo

• forum hero
Cheers for the replies. Anyone know what Red Goat in York is like for kids as that’s the nearest wall to me. I know about Rockcity but I have reasons for not going there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Nothing kids specific when i was last there, but a good spread of grades from v easy to v hard. Nice facility, but can get a bit crowded when busy, you would need to keep kids under close supervision to prevent them walking under people.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
I go to Red Goat quite regularly - although a great little wall, I’d say it’s the least suitable around here for a 4 year old.

It’s pretty small, so there is no ‘safe space’ for little ‘uns to run around. There is a kids circuit, but this is more geared to older kids and adult beginners, I’m guessing it’d be too reachy for a small child.

Also - I’ve never been there when it hasn’t been rammed. If it’s the most convenient option maybe try it in the week or early on a weekend?

webbo

• forum hero
Thanks again. I have only been to RG once and that was during the day midweek, so it was quiet. It looks like the Lab is the place to try, that’s if I can remember how to get to Kirkstall.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
If you head down that way you get get your fill of hipster coffee and doughnuts at Temple coffee:

http://www.templecoffeeleeds.com/

webbo

• forum hero
Kirkstall/Armley is trendy/hip these days then. I used to go swimming at Armley and Kirkstall baths I guess they might have gone now and when I left school my first job was at Kirkstall Forge just past the Abbey. I know the Forge has gone but presumably they can’t use the Abbey for building houses. :-\

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Is Temple in an old synagogue or something? If so, a massive missed opportunity. There's a coffee shop in Thornton that's in an old church. It's called He Brews.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Kirkstall/Armley is trendy/hip these days then. I used to go swimming at Armley and Kirkstall baths I guess they might have gone now and when I left school my first job was at Kirkstall Forge just past the Abbey. I know the Forge has gone but presumably they can’t use the Abbey for building houses. :-\

Kirkstall Forge is now the name of the new station, is that where the forge used to be? Down by the river?

Edit: a cursory google reveals that it very likely was!

webbo

• forum hero
It was on both sides of the river founded by the monks from the 11th century. Also supposedly haunted by them.

andy_e

• forum hero
Armley's not hip, but Burley and Kirkstall are rapidly up-and-coming, more so Burley, with lots of excellent independent food places opening recently. The Cardigan Arms has been taken over by Kirkstall Brewery and is now an excellent pub!

webbo

• forum hero
I once worked at the original Kirkstall brewery which now appears to be halls of residence.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Kirkstall Forge is now the name of the new station, is that where the forge used to be? Down by the river?

Edit: a cursory google reveals that it very likely was!

Yep, was notoriously one of the most contaminated sites in Leeds, I think it was part way through remediation prior to financial crisis when it went on hold until property prices went up again.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
I was a resident of Kirkstall before it was up and coming, does that make me cool. Use to be able to hear the forge on quiet nights.

webbo

• forum hero
I was a resident of Kirkstall before it was up and coming, does that make me cool.
No that makes you old like me >:(

andy_e

• forum hero
Whilst we're on a thread-derailing industrial history of the Aire Valley of Leeds, there used to be two huge cooling towers dominating the area! I never knew about these. This photo was taken near my house, it certainly doesn't look like that now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkstall_Power_Station

SA Chris

• forum hero
They're photoshopped in. They did it it a lot in them days, 'appen.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Is that where the cinema etc is now?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Love the quintessential Yorkshireman in that photo. Flat cap, fag, newspaper, pint of milk under his arm I think. Just missing the whippet.

webbo

• forum hero
Whilst we're on a thread-derailing industrial history of the Aire Valley of Leeds, there used to be two huge cooling towers dominating the area! I never knew about these. This photo was taken near my house, it certainly doesn't look like that now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkstall_Power_Station
My mate “ Short but psychopathic George” used to live in the street to right of the one in the photo.

andy_e

• forum hero
Is that where the cinema etc is now?

Not quite, a bit further towards Kirkstall, behind the Asda.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Love the quintessential Yorkshireman in that photo. Flat cap, fag, newspaper, pint of milk under his arm I think. Just missing the whippet.

Sounds like my grandad, aside from he would have been walking a whippet-beddlington terrier cross, his choice for rabbiting!  I am still bearing the scars from him making me put a collar on his ferret and take it for a walk.  Ever tried to put a collar on something that is essentially a wriggly tube with snapping jaws?!

powderpuff

• regular

And we can only assume he's already got the tea bags at home!

webbo

• forum hero
Tea bags probably hadn’t been invented then. Loose tea and sterilised milk or if he was getting it for work. A tin of Fussles evaporated milk.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal