UKBouldering.com

Solution vs Skwama (Read 13036 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 09:59:47 am
In the market for some non-laced shoes. I’ve been using some generously-sized Katanas for easy stuff and a pair of mid 2000s Galileos which were quite good initially but have subsequently developed baggy heels.

My Miura XXs fit brilliantly, but I fancy something softer. I’ve had conflicting suggestions about both the Solution and the Skwama in terms of suitability. The plan would be to use them for mid-grade sport (switching to the XXs if necessary), sandstone but realistically mostly indoors. Does anyone have any thoughts?

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 12:36:17 pm
Id consider the muira velcro. I have these and skwama and use the skwama for more toey overhanging things and the muira velcro for most grit smearing etc

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 01:13:54 pm
Id consider the muira velcro. I have these and skwama and use the skwama for more toey overhanging things and the muira velcro for most grit smearing etc

By the Muira velcro do you mean the VS?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 01:32:21 pm
The VS is the velcro - they’re on my radar too, along with the Python. The former is a bargain at Decathlon.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#4 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 02:58:22 pm
There is a new version of the Python coming soon (ish), so the current Python might be going cheap soon

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#5 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 03:47:52 pm
I’d steer away from pythons unless you want something particularly soft, which will be useless on a lot of stuff outdoors. Skwama are considerably softer than Solution, but the latter do soften up in the toe with wear. Solution may be a better choice for the more well built gentleman to make sure you can get the power into your toes.

Obviously both have limited adjustability due to closure system, and as such you need the right foot shape, so if you can get somewhere to try them on and have a quick play around at the wall, so much the better.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 06, 2018, 06:14:53 pm
Miura lace-ups start brilliantly but rapid become soft, floppy clown shoes (the dream is to be a sponsored hero, and have a new pair every month).  Miura VS are slightly stiffer and more downturned, and because they have the P3 midsole package, retain their stiffness and downturn throughout their life, and bag out relatively little - they are my go-to shoes for UK limestone. 

Pythons are rather soft and floppy - even when sized 0.5EUR less than the Miura / Miura VS.  They bag out a pair bit too - far more than the more rubberised, P3 midsoled Futuras. 

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Solution vs Skwama
September 07, 2018, 04:23:02 pm
Solutions are fairy stiff, I personally think these are the best all round boot. The only issue is the heel, which is awesome on some stuff, but bad on other stuff.

Skawmas are good. Weirdly the toe is pretty stiff, but they are bendy in the mid sole, so they give the feeling of a soft boot. I personally think they are best around 10 sessions in.

The pythons are also good, they are absolutely awesome in Font. Not as good solutions on limestone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal