UKBouldering.com

Really good cafés in Sheffield and anywhere else near good climbing (Read 12481 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Two to start from Sheffield:- Five Rivers in Broomhill. Great coffee nice atmosphere.
Seven Hills Bakery. They do a nice punchy flat white.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Flat white - God, I hate that expression. It's out there with send, and connies.. and fixie  :P As for the reference "anywhere else near good climbing.."  :shrug:

Cafe Ceres. Hunters Bar. Sheffield.

http://www.cafeceres.com/menus/

Tends to be my café of choice.

And also:

http://www.madebyjonty.co.uk/

Fifty yards away on Sharrowvale Road. Great coffee too.

tomtom

• forum hero
Don't hate on the flat whites Dave... I had my first one in NZ back in 2001 - where it originates from..... Great to see them becoming mainstream over here....

I try and avoid all main stream shops when picking up some lunch before climbing.. rather give my ££ to a small business. So...

For anyone heading Peakwards from Manchester via the snake - I recommend any sandwich (or anything to be honest) from Mettericks in Glossop (butchers on the main strip (LHside coming from manchester - before main cross roads)). Their salad boxes are superb too...

Same journey via the A6 I often stop in Dannys Deli in Disley. Its not really a Deli - but does decent sandwiches and pasties for not very much.

If you're out for a day in Northumberland - the Rothbury Family Butchers does outstanding pies.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It's not an expression, it's a thing, like a latte or a cappuccino. Not much round here. Upperkrust in City Centre does a great bacon roll, and excellent banter with the wifeys, but probably not worth the effort stopping by unless you are in city centre anyway. if you are passing through on the way north, Sand Dollar cafe on the beach does a great fry up.

But once bypass in in place you can avoid city completely!

James Malloch

• forum hero
It's always good to stop off at The Local Pantry when visiting almscliff or otley.

Possibly more so for the sausage rolls and pies. I can't remember the coffee to be honest as I've normally had one before going.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Coffee at the Local Pantry is pretty good, but if one makes a slight (well, dependant on the direction of arrival) detour to Bloomfield Square in Otley, that’s where the good shit is http://www.bloomfieldsquare.co.uk/

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Rude Shipyard in Sheff hasn’t let me down

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
It's always good to stop off at The Local Pantry when visiting almscliff or otley.

Possibly more so for the sausage rolls and pies. I can't remember the coffee to be honest as I've normally had one before going.

The scotch eggs and sausage rolls at he Local Pantry are pretty good , but I am mainly a fan of the date slices - densest cake on earth (even though a stone in one resulted in 2 months of dental work - root canal surgery and a crown - that cost over a grand!).  The old barn cafe in Malham (the one nearest the Park Centre) does a fine  bacon and sausage sandwich. 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The first and last word in Dales cafes is the Feizor cafe. Located conveniently off the A65, you get good grub and all the local gossip about which farmer's son has been seen with which farmer's daughter.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
And where did you fit in exactly Will? All very Radio 4.

Flat White gate: similar to the caffè latte although smaller in volume and less microfoam, therefore having a higher proportion of coffee to milk.. probably what I have every day.

Still seems to be a variation on a Latte. New name, same problem. What do the Italians think?

A Fixie is a thing too. As for The Rude Shipyard..  ;D

I lament the demise of Stoney Caf, though the chippy is very good  :2thumbsup:

https://m.facebook.com/Toll-Bar-Fish-Chips-1532126643681447/

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
One of my favorites in Gog has to be the Lodge in Dinorwig. Nice coffee, nice environment, comfy, and chess. What more could you want? Also makes a nice change from that one everyone goes to in that place everyone goes to ;)

Theres a surprisingly good one in Tan y Grisiau too, doesn't look like anything special but they do a great and rather large crumble, which has become my treat if I climb well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Coffee at the Local Pantry is pretty good, but if one makes a slight (well, dependant on the direction of arrival) detour to Bloomfield Square in Otley, that’s where the good shit is http://www.bloomfieldsquare.co.uk/

Is old Riverside Caff gone forever??

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Yep. Dunny's cafe knocked down and replaced with old people's flats  :wavecry:

It used to have such an amazing melting pot of customers that all seemed happy coexisting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yep, climbers, scrotes, old cyclists you name it...

tomtom

• forum hero
Yep, climbers, scrotes, old cyclists you name it...

And Jimmy Saville....

SA Chris

• forum hero

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Not a cafe but definitely worth a visit for the Kilnsey-bound climber is the Spa attached to the fuel station in Threshfield.  It has a counter staffed by Weatherhead's butchers, of Pateley Bridge and Grassington. 

http://www.weatherheadbutchers.co.uk/our-shop/

The "Yorkshire Pasties" are fantastic, and I highly recommend the pork pies (the one with black pudding and apple inside the lid in particular).  A friend claims that one of their quiches wiped out his climbing for days, due to its buttery, cheesy richness!  Perhaps worth a look at just for the slightly disconcerting experience of seeing someone attack half a cow carcass with a cleaver in a petrol station shop. 

James Malloch

• forum hero
Not a cafe but definitely worth a visit for the Kilnsey-bound climber is the Spa attached to the fuel station in Threshfield.  It has a counter staffed by Weatherhead's butchers, of Pateley Bridge and Grassington. 

I got excited about this one then before I realised you meant the supermarket. There's nothing better than sitting in a Jacuzzi after a day of climbing! Though I do think there is one in Grassington which I've not visited...

tomtom

• forum hero
A spa staffed by butchers sounds like the beginnings of a cannabalistic horror movie plot.

TobyD

• forum hero
A spa staffed by butchers sounds like the beginnings of a cannabalistic horror movie plot.
Good idea. I might get to work on a screenplay.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Sheffield wise if you're looking for good coffee then Upshot, in my opinion is the best, and now they have opened one right by the School and Foundry. Also Foundry (roasters not climbing wall) coffee shop on bank street.

Food wise The Grind, again by the Foundry, South Street Kitchen at the bottom of Park Hill flats is a gem of a place, if you're in the Peak then Hathersage Social Club does the best breakfast I have ever had and the waffles are good too, only open Thursday to Sunday, Mesters at Forge does great grub too. Little Gem cafe on Ringinglow road, just before 50 signs heading into the Peak is supposed to be really good also.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Little Gem cafe on Ringinglow road, just before 50 signs heading into the Peak is supposed to be really good also.

I had heard the same - tried to go there on bank holiday Monday with Jasper. It was closed.

Ended up in Jameson's tea rooms on Abbeydale Road eating massive pieces of amazing cake - is tea rooms a different thread? (obviously; me, Jasper plus tea rooms was sailing close to that scene in Withnail and I)

on the breakfast front - Ella's on Ecclesall Road near Hunters Bar is excellent - the Halloumi Stack is my wife's favourite - I am torn between that and the Bacon and Avocado Royal

* edit * the halloumi stack is the best
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:55:57 pm by lagerstarfish »

monkey boy

• forum hero
We went to Ella's for tea a few weekends ago, Bulgarian food, which I hadn't had before but thought it was pretty tasty.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Sorry I'm late, but on flat whites: very enjoyable I think. Yes, it has milk in, this does not thus make it bad. Sometimes you want black, sometimes you want some milk. I've found that if you ask for a flat white in the UK, it's the closest thing you can get to a proper Italian cappuccino (the UK and even French equivalent being a milky americano with an 'orrible layer of foam plonked on top).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Little Gem cafe on Ringinglow road, just before 50 signs heading into the Peak is supposed to be really good also.

I had heard the same - tried to go there on bank holiday Monday with Jasper. It was closed.

Been there 3/4 times, it is good, they recently had pork belly & black pudding as a breakfast/brunch special which was oviously a win (#athlete).  Gets very busy, had to go elsewhere a couple of times as the wait was going to be excessive. Food also takes a while to arrive, if you order your Flat White when you arrive it'll be cold or you'll be onto your second by the time your food arrives.

Bit out of the way for most folk but S17 in Bradway is also good.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
I've compiled this thread into a list on google maps

galpinos

• forum hero

But doesn’t open till 10am so should you want a pre climb coffee you’ll have to head somewhere else, as we found out this morning.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

But doesn’t open till 10am so should you want a pre climb coffee you’ll have to head somewhere else, as we found out this morning.

People get out before 10 to go bouldering?  ;D. Aploliges, late opening seems to be a regular feature of decent coffee shops

TobyD

• forum hero
I've compiled this thread into a list on google maps

Good work !

I quite like Coleman's deli in the square in Hathersage. The coffee is merely okay but it's a lovely place to sit in the sun. They don't do any GF food really do I can't vouch for it but apparently it's pretty good.

TobyD

• forum hero
Sheffield wise if you're looking for good coffee then Upshot, in my opinion is the best, and now they have opened one right by the School and Foundry. Also Foundry (roasters not climbing wall) coffee shop on bank street.

200 deg coffee on division st has exceptionally good coffee. 

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

200 deg coffee on division st has exceptionally good coffee.

Thanks for the recommendation Toby. And Monkey Boy.

Things have moved on from filter coffee and non-dairy creamer at Mr Kite's in the 80s!

(now The Green Room)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop

Flat White gate: similar to the caffè latte although smaller in volume and less microfoam, therefore having a higher proportion of coffee to milk.. probably what I have every day.

Still seems to be a variation on a Latte. New name, same problem. What do the Italians think?

I lament the demise of Stoney Caf, though the chippy is very good  :2thumbsup:

https://m.facebook.com/Toll-Bar-Fish-Chips-1532126643681447/

Hey Dave, from what I understand yes the milk is different but coffee also. An authentic flat white from NZ/Oz often using a triple risttetto, tighter packed and more intense. Maybe this is what you make?

Coffee in NZ is hands down the best I've tried. Consistently good everywhere, they are all obsessed.

Agree, Stoney chippy one of the best ever.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal