UKBouldering.com

Tent Groundsheet (Read 1862 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Tent Groundsheet
August 20, 2018, 02:02:50 pm

Got an old Mountain Hardware Trango 3.1 which we love and is basically in mint condition other than the ground sheet which is now pretty shot.

Googling suggests that re-proofing is nigh on impossible to do effectively.   Just wondering if anyone's ever had one replaced. i.e. stitching unpicked and a new one stitched in.

www.scottishmountaingear.com seem to offer the service and look very professional, but just wondered if anyone's used them, or similar.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Tent Groundsheet
August 20, 2018, 02:49:19 pm
Would it be easier to just have a new one stitched over the old. Make it a bit heavier and bulkier, but do you ever plan carrying it a long way?

SamT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Tent Groundsheet
August 20, 2018, 03:05:49 pm

In theory, I dont see why not. done on the inside it would mean the old outer one would act as a footprint and protect the new inner one from abrasion etc.

I think those guys unpick the old one, use it as a template to knock up the new one.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3 Re: Tent Groundsheet
August 20, 2018, 03:51:55 pm
Hi Sam,

I bought an Alpkit Zhota a few years back which had a crap groundsheet. I solved the problem by getting the dimensions of the tent and cutting an appropriately sized bit of roofing felt for it (slightly smaller than the dimensions, obviously). This is the lightweight stuff, a couple of mm thick. I pitch the tent on top of it and its brilliant, completely keeps the water out and packs up easily with the rest of the tent. Definitely a cheaper solution than buying a new groundsheet or footprint I suspect.

luckyjez

• addict
#4 Re: Tent Groundsheet
August 21, 2018, 10:36:36 am
Scottish Mountain Gear are good - we use them for warranty repairs. They are not necessarily quick but the quality is good. Many tent and pack makers use them as their 'official' repairers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal