UKBouldering.com

Sheepshifter pocket (Read 2247 times)

Kingy

• forum hero
Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 11:18:01 am
Tried Sheepshifter (Font 7B) in Cave Dale yesterday but no cigar! Seemed a great problem. Figured out a decent sequence in the end but was too knacked to execute. I noticed an ancient chipped pocket for the LH on the crux. I am keen to try without this to make it a totally natural problem. It might be in the Font 7C range at a guess. Anybody know if this has been done yet?

Kingy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 01:11:09 pm
I have been informed that when the problem was found, the pocket had calcite crystals in it, which would indicate it's natural, if very unusual. Therefore it's all fair game.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 06:29:02 pm
Yes. Looks suspect but is the hollow body cavity of a brachipod fossil I reckon. They are similarly regular in shape and often partially crystal filled voids. The rock here is highly fossiliferous reef limestone.
Also, it has been climbed without at the same grade.

Kingy

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 06:30:33 pm
Yes. Looks suspect but is the hollow body cavity of a brachipod fossil I reckon. They are similarly regular in shape and often partially crystal filled voids. The rock here is highly fossiliferous reef limestone.
Also, it has been climbed without at the same grade.

You learn something everyday. OK, all set for the rematch then, pocket or no pocket!  :boxing:

mark20

• junky
#4 Re: Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 06:38:39 pm
Great problem.
I thought Haydn's traverse problem a bit further up the valley, on the same side, was worthwhile too.

Kingy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sheepshifter pocket
August 22, 2018, 08:38:00 pm
Yes I had a brief look at that while stumbling back down the valley fully laden with pad and rucksack having missed Sheep Shifter on the way up! Keen to return after watching Haydn's video

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal