UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 282939 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#925 Re: EU Referendum
May 19, 2019, 06:36:19 pm
It's all fucked by the way. I asked my parents and my mother voted Brexit party which was entirely predictable. Less so was Dad, who voted the same way. He'd originally been a reluctant remainer whose financial conservatism had prevented a leave vote. He cited reasons of dissatisfaction with the EU ("unelected bully boys") and of Westminster.

So an absolute Brexit landslide it is.

petejh

• forum hero
#926 Re: EU Referendum
May 19, 2019, 08:47:19 pm
Hooray for narrow-minded out of touch OAPs!  :beer2:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#927 Re: EU Referendum
May 19, 2019, 09:01:33 pm
Hooray for narrow-minded out of touch OAPs!  :beer2:

I didn’t realise you’d retired?

petejh

• forum hero
#928 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 09:17:08 am
Not yet old chap, just waiting for my punt on shorting the £ and my investment in US poultry to come good.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#929 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 01:29:03 pm
Not yet old chap, just waiting for my punt on shorting the £ and my investment in US poultry to come good.

I hope you remembered Chlorine production and Health insurance?

tomtom

• forum hero
#930 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 03:06:22 pm

I'm investing in milkshake stocks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#931 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 04:36:59 pm
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

galpinos

• forum hero
#932 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 09:15:37 pm

Not quite as good as the, "My milkshake brings all the boys to Farage" tweet.

galpinos

• forum hero
#933 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 09:20:19 pm
It's all fucked by the way. I asked my parents and my mother voted Brexit party which was entirely predictable. Less so was Dad, who voted the same way. He'd originally been a reluctant remainer whose financial conservatism had prevented a leave vote. He cited reasons of dissatisfaction with the EU ("unelected bully boys") and of Westminster.

So an absolute Brexit landslide it is.

Well done for engaging with them. I have yet to have an open discussion about politics with my Mum that hasn't descended into an argument for quite a while. I can't get past the fact there doesn't seem to be a reason for the way she votes, especially as it seems the opposite of the values she embodies and how she lives her life.

tomtom

• forum hero
#934 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 10:17:28 pm

Lactosing the intolerant.

Not quite as good as the, "My milkshake brings all the boys to Farage" tweet.

petejh

• forum hero
#935 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 10:31:05 pm

I think Farage is a nob and I'm not a supporter of his, but I don't agree with lobbing milkshakes at politicians just because you disagree with their point of view. I agree with what Amber Rudd was saying on R4 earlier - that it coarsens the atmosphere. It's essentially using humiliation to show you disagree with someone instead of engaging them in civil debate and making your points rationally. If you think it's funny and admirable then you have to also accept it'll be funny and admirable tomorrow, if some right-wing nobhead eggs Jess Philips to try to humiliate her (more preferable, though, than 'joking' about raping her.. idiot), or lobs milkshake all over Caroline Lucas to attempt to make her look a twat the next time she turns up to speak.

The milkshake lobber's charged with common assault. Says it all. He'll be the one left looking the real twat.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#936 Re: EU Referendum
May 20, 2019, 10:57:44 pm

I think Farage is a nob and I'm not a supporter of his, but I don't agree with lobbing milkshakes at politicians just because you disagree with their point of view. I agree with what Amber Rudd was saying on R4 earlier - that it coarsens the atmosphere. It's essentially using humiliation to show you disagree with someone instead of engaging them in civil debate and making your points rationally. If you think it's funny and admirable then you have to also accept it'll be funny and admirable tomorrow, if some right-wing nobhead eggs Jess Philips to try to humiliate her (more preferable, though, than 'joking' about raping her.. idiot), or lobs milkshake all over Caroline Lucas to attempt to make her look a twat the next time she turns up to speak.

The milkshake lobber's charged with common assault. Says it all. He'll be the one left looking the real twat.

I completely agree. Jo Cox's husband was quoted as saying more or less the same thing as well. I think Farage is a dangerous wealthy man playing populism and partly succeeding. (As opposed to Victor Orban who is really succeeding)  It's a shame milkshake throwing has detracted from the real thing that should be in the news, how the Brexit party is funded. Their co founder was wholly unconvincing when interviewed on the Today program.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#937 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 01:22:27 pm
Don't forget that Farage, the same man who posed in front of the infamous "Breaking Point" poster on literally the same day that Thomas Mair killed Jo Cox, said in his victory speech something about "winning the war without firing a single bullet".

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#938 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 01:31:44 pm
Don't forget that Farage, the same man who posed in front of the infamous "Breaking Point" poster on literally the same day that Thomas Mair killed Jo Cox, said in his victory speech something about "winning the war without firing a single bullet".

Hmm. He is a nasty piece of work, a hypocrite and clearly out for financial gain and empowerment. But lobbing foodstuffs isn't the way to educate him about his nature.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#939 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 01:42:27 pm
I asked my parents and my mother voted Brexit party which was entirely predictable. Less so was Dad, who voted the same way.

I can't discuss with my parents in law, as I know they both voted leave, even though they don't openly admit it. I just like watching them flinch every time I mention what a disaster the Brexit process is, and how the shambles is affecting our daily lives, theirs included.

andy popp

• forum hero
#940 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 02:18:04 pm

Hmm. He is a nasty piece of work, a hypocrite and clearly out for financial gain and empowerment. But lobbing foodstuffs isn't the way to educate him about his nature.

Agreed that throwing milkshakes is an unhelpful distraction at this point, but we shouldn't be too po-faced about it either. It was little more than a bit of street theatre and British electoral politics were often much rowdier and more rambunctious in the past.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:39:18 pm by andy popp »

rich d

• forum hero
#941 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 02:21:49 pm
Problem with throwing stuff at Farage is that it buys into the lunatic fringe left message that he likes to peddle and reinforces his supporters' perspective that remoaners are cry babies.
I'm seriously worried that his Brexit party is going to get a landslide victory in the European elections and he may force his way into negotiations ongoing, as a sop to appease the more leave side of the Conservative party.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#942 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 03:01:18 pm

It seems to me to be absolute pie in the sky to think it is possible to educate Farage and his ilk about their nature. They've shown their cards, we know they're cheating and everyone is carrying on as usual, both the public and the media. Farage isn't scared by facts; you can't reason someone out of a position they haven't used reason to arrive at in the first place. He enjoys being vilified and heckled, it just gives him and his far right cronies exposure, its their lifeblood. What he doesn't like is to be embarrassed, which he was yesterday. Whilst I accept and agree with all the points raised about throwing foodstuffs not being civilised, I find myself exasperated that despite his obvious lies, evasion and obfuscation he is still treated as a serious politician rather than the joke and racist irrelevance that he is.

tomtom

• forum hero
#943 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 03:08:00 pm
I'm seriously worried that his Brexit party is going to get a landslide victory in the European elections and he may force his way into negotiations ongoing, as a sop to appease the more leave side of the Conservative party.

I think this would herald the end of the Conservative party in its present form.

andy popp

• forum hero
#944 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 03:27:05 pm

I think this would herald the end of the Conservative party in its present form.

Surely looking highly possible now. Hopefully Boris will finally win the leadership he has so long coveted just in time to preside over the final death throes ...

sdm

• forum abuser
#945 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 04:53:47 pm
I'm not sure he would even accept any position in the negotiations.

His party is a single issue party that has has no policy on its single issue. By avoiding having any specific policies, he can't be criticised for the detail of those policies.

As soon as he actually has concrete policies, they will be open to scrutiny and he can no longer spend all of his media time just criticising the policies of others.

His brand of politics can't exist from the inside. It relies on being on the outside, avoiding scrutiny, while claiming victimisation over everything. I doubt he is willing or capable of changing.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#946 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 05:12:57 pm
He doesn’t need to change, he’s already providing the service he’s been paid to provide.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#947 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 08:57:20 pm

His party is a single issue party that has has no policy on its single issue. By avoiding having any specific policies, he can't be criticised for the detail of those policies.

As soon as he actually has concrete policies, they will be open to scrutiny and he can no longer spend all of his media time just criticising the policies of others.

His brand of politics can't exist from the inside. It relies on being on the outside, avoiding scrutiny, while claiming victimisation over everything. I doubt he is willing or capable of changing.

Exactly. Well put.

tomtom

• forum hero
#948 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 08:59:29 pm

Exactly. Well put.

That’s pretty much what they said about Trump. Non?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#949 Re: EU Referendum
May 21, 2019, 09:07:44 pm
Trump revelled in outsider status, but he had some sort of public agenda. Farage is a single issue politician so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal