UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 283529 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#751 Re: EU Referendum
March 26, 2019, 03:54:01 pm
Oh dear. Deal it is. I'd rather hoped that the deadlock would continue which at least offered the glimmer of a reversal.

tomtom

• forum hero
#752 Re: EU Referendum
March 26, 2019, 05:45:56 pm
Oh dear. Deal it is. I'd rather hoped that the deadlock would continue which at least offered the glimmer of a reversal.

Don't worry. The DUP and a harcore of c.20 Brexit Ultra's will vote against it...

Ultra's - Grand wizards. Theres something in those names the separatists call themselves....

But if it does squeak through  - it sounds like pretty much any sort of deal (aside from remain) can be hammered out in the second part of the process. By then we may have had a new PM or/and a GE.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#753 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 09:05:38 am
Fuck me!

JRM is back-pedalling on “No Deal”!

https://www.conservativehome.com/highlights/2019/03/the-moggcast-deal-or-no-brexit-becomes-the-choice-eventually-mays-deal-is-better-than-not-leaving-at-all.html

Trying to derive what's going on here is tricky at best but my two cents is that over the weekend at the Chequers PM / ERG shindig the PM got buy-in for the deal but the price was her resignation soon after. That seems to be the noises all the pro-Brexit MPs were making yesterday.

I'm guessing they are assuming / hoping that in the resultant leadership election a more hardline candidate (Boris? JRM? Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabb?) would prevail and they could then start playing hardball in the subsequent negotiations.

I have no idea about process here, but if it came to that - could (say) Mark Francois as PM (I've just been sick in my mouth) retrospectively revoke the deal as part of the trade negotiations?

seankenny

• forum hero
#754 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 09:38:36 am
If you - like some Brexiters - believe Brexit is all about sovereignty and control, and nothing to do with disliking foreigners, then this article by the FT's chief economics commentator should make you think again*:
https://www.ft.com/content/473bd2ae-4ee5-11e9-b401-8d9ef1626294

If it's paywalled for you, then google FT and "The Brexit delusion of taking back control" and follow the links - that usually works, but sometimes need to be in private browsing mode.

* I am not actually expecting any Brexiters to think again.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#755 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 10:42:45 am
Update from my inbox:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

The debate is scheduled for 1 April 2019.

I hope that doesn't clash with the annual bolting of Ulysses.

sdm

• forum abuser
#756 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 11:40:48 am
Next line of the response:

"This Government will not revoke Article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with Parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union."

Doesn't really leave much room for a debate...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#757 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 02:12:07 pm
Does rely on 'this government' surviving the Art 50 extension though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#758 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 03:11:55 pm
Does rely on 'this government' surviving the Art 50 extension though.

What Government?

tomtom

• forum hero
#759 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 05:49:18 pm
Sounds like typical May at the 1922 comm tonight... no schedule - no timetable - nothing firm. Suspect it'll please a few people in the short term but then people will look at it and realise what she said was meaningless... If she never gets her deal through (a big possibility) then she'll never resign??

petejh

• forum hero
#760 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 07:19:42 pm
Not how it sounds to me..  Lets see what the DUP say.. on hearing May's news they cancelled their statement that was due at 6pm.

tomtom

• forum hero
#761 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 08:22:24 pm
She’ll gain a good load of those that voted against - but not enough I think. But will also lose some of the labour rebels who voted for her deal. As this (potentially) lands the next phase of negotiations with Boris or who ever. A handful of votes can swing it either way.

You can game it here (nice link). It’s pretty hard for her to get it through I estimate...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/mar/27/can-you-get-mays-deal-through-meaningful-vote-3?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Anyway. So much for taking back control.

Hope the separatist/brexit voters will be happy that if her deal gets the nod our next PM and possible architect of our EU-less future will be selected by a Westminster cabal ratified by 100000 Tory party members.

And people think having another referendum is somehow undemocratic.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#762 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 10:36:51 pm
No

No

No

No

No

No

No

No

So, that’s cleared that up.

Couple or ten stiff drinks, anyone?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#763 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 10:38:09 pm
At least we now know what they don't want.  :wank:

largeruk

• player
#764 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 10:43:23 pm
"What followed was a masterclass in hypocrisy so severe that it was startling even in this golden age of consequence-free political lying."

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/03/27/the-obscene-moral-spectacle-of-theresa-may-s-resignation

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#765 Re: EU Referendum
March 27, 2019, 11:05:47 pm
No

No

No

No

No

No

No

No

So, that’s cleared that up.

Couple or ten stiff drinks, anyone?

Have a watch of Bercow reading out the vote results earlier, and MPs marking their cards, it looks for all the world like a really badly organised bingo hall. Corbyn appears to be struggling to cope with his card, depressingly many of them appear to find it hilarious that they haven't got a clue, can't discuss things with colleagues and have no concept of sensible compromise.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#766 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 10:31:41 am
In other bad news for those of us doing any driving on the continent, we'll now (almost certainly) need a 'Green Card' (available from your motor insurer) and an International Driving Permit (available for £5.50 from the Post Office. But you have to go in, not available online). And you'll need 2 if you're driving France to Spain.

This to me epitomises what life will be like after Brexit.

It's not that much worse, your Dad will say it's what you used to have to do anyway, but it's just extra faff, admin hassle and slight cost that you don't need and didn't have before.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#767 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 10:41:16 am
Intrigued as to where the money from these things will actually go? Just cover the self perpetuated admin costs?

danm

• junky
#768 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 10:51:22 am
This Brexit farce is slowing transmorphing into the sketch in Little Britain (how apt) where they guy in the wheelchair says "Don't like it".

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#769 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 10:56:40 am
In other bad news for those of us doing any driving on the continent, we'll now (almost certainly) need a 'Green Card' (available from your motor insurer) and an International Driving Permit (available for £5.50 from the Post Office. But you have to go in, not available online). And you'll need 2 if you're driving France to Spain.

This is only if we leave with no deal though presumably? If a softer brexit materialises maintaining EEA & single market membership we wouldn't I don't think, but may be wrong.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#770 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 11:00:18 am

This is only if we leave with no deal though presumably? If a softer brexit materialises maintaining EEA & single market membership we wouldn't I don't think, but may be wrong.

You're probably right. At the moment don't even know if I'll need them or not as travelling in April. But I don't want this sort of thing to kybosh my holiday so will probably get them just in case!

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#771 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 11:05:13 am
Same, flying to France on April 15th. I was aware of the International Driving Permit but not of the green card, so thanks!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#772 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 11:08:40 am
This Brexit farce is slowing transmorphing into the sketch in Little Britain (how apt) where they guy in the wheelchair says "Don't like it".

Closer to the Little Britain Mr Mann sketches

https://littlebritain.fandom.com/wiki/Mr_Mann

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#773 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 11:09:40 am
ahh, I've just seen the green card is for if you are driving your own car abroad, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#774 Re: EU Referendum
March 28, 2019, 11:53:55 am

Closer to the Little Britain Mr Mann sketches

https://littlebritain.fandom.com/wiki/Mr_Mann

“Parliament says NO”...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal