UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 282821 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1051 Re: EU Referendum
July 18, 2019, 03:26:10 pm
Slightly less relevant, but more amusing, is the “Tuckered” account’s take on the day’s news:

“Daily News Roundup

-Blond man-child waves fish

Catastrophic cuntnado, Boris Johnson, waved a smoked kipper at a bunch of pensioners yesterday to illustrate just what petty arseholes the EU are, in a bid to become the next PM.

He insisted that when mailing fish (which we all do on a regular basis) we'll now be forced to include a little plastic pillow, and that crashing the economy would be the best way to avoid this.

His claims were later refuted by the EU, who said that the bizarre measure was actually implemented by our own fucking government.

- MPs cancel their holidays

MPs voted on a motion to try and  prevent the likely next PM, Boris Johnson, from proroguing parliament, thereby allowing the UK to crash out of the EU on Halloween to appease a handful of geriatric, piss scented Blitz obsessives, Express readers, and the north. Thank fuck.

-Trump considering some form of hand gesture to connect with his voters

After the storming success of his recent racist Tweets, President Shit-for-brains stoked his lobotomised, slack-jawed, sister fucking followers up into a rabid, bigoted, frenzy by getting them all to chant 'Send Her Back!' to a woman who has always been there.

As we speak he's pricing up giant iron eagles, having a radical flag rethink,  and getting his staff measured up for their new Hugo Boss uniforms.”

andy popp

• forum hero
#1052 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 11:51:31 am
Kind of surprised this thread has been quiet for so long. Has everyone just given up/ in despair (for want of better words, I don't really mean given up as such)?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1053 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 11:59:27 am
I'm personally so disillusioned with the whole debacle that I'm in a kind of sit back and watch kind of place. It's so mind-bendingly fascinating, I can't really sort it all into a sensible thing to comprehend....

And then this happens - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Unbelievable!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1054 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 12:06:38 pm
Kind of surprised this thread has been quiet for so long. Has everyone just given up/ in despair (for want of better words, I don't really mean given up as such)?

Yup. Been actively avoiding news on it....

Today’s developments are both a surprise and (sadly) not a surprise if you get what I mean.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1055 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 12:38:36 pm
Taking back control.

From the people, to the executive.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1056 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 12:58:27 pm
Who would have thought that a project spearheaded by a Putinesque gang of spivs, chancers and populists, which weaponised fear of outsiders, should turn out to sideline Parliament in pursuit of their ideal...

...Brexit is an authoritarian's game, and if you're not an authoritarian but voted for it, you've been had.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1057 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 02:07:41 pm
Grauniad's got a liveblog going:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/28/spending-review-set-for-next-week-fuels-election-speculation-live

Petition (does fuck-all except register one's protest but hey, it takes 10 seconds):

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1058 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 02:12:02 pm
It's really pretty depressing to be honest. Sterling is plummeting, come November all our food will go through the roof as the old fuckers who voted leave will stockpile everything as they're retired anyway. I know this is not entirely accurate and a massive generalisation but the current situation just makes me angry. It'll spell the beginning of the end of any small scale farming in the UK. I don't believe there will be an instant catastrophe on November 1st, just a slow slide into recession, decreasing living standards and quality of life. Still, at least we'll have our fucking independence eh.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1059 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 02:32:48 pm
Most importantly, future trips to Europe and the states are going to get more expensive too...

tomtom

• forum hero
#1060 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 02:44:19 pm
Most importantly, future trips to Europe and the states are going to get more expensive too...

Going to..? Have been. Since 2016 with the £ decline....

Stockpile those rock boots people...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1061 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 03:52:10 pm
Parliament officially prorogued...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1062 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 03:56:19 pm
I don't believe there will be an instant catastrophe on November 1st, just a slow slide into recession, decreasing living standards and quality of life. Still, at least we'll have our fucking independence eh.

+1

Reopens another can of worms up here too...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1063 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 04:07:41 pm

Yes.

It’s beyond our control.

No point in even writing to your MP, because even the vaguest hint of democratic process has been ripped from this.
All based on a snapshot of public opinion, one day, three years ago.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1064 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 04:12:57 pm
I don't believe there will be an instant catastrophe on November 1st, just a slow slide into recession, decreasing living standards and quality of life. Still, at least we'll have our fucking independence eh.

+1

Reopens another can of worms up here too...

Boiled frog syndrome.

We’re living it.
Economic issues aside, layout a timeline of reporting on Northern Ireland, over the last 5 years and tell me everything is just peachy.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1065 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 07:37:58 pm
Actually, to clarify, I call this an escalation.

I think we should be very worried.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1066 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 09:06:56 pm
Sorry, I didn't mean to depress everyone.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1067 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 09:31:22 pm

I’m livid about Brexit - a waste and destructive - and whilst I totally get why no one outside media/political circles is talking about it that much right now (this thread going quiet is a reflection of that) I kind of feel that we should. Sure, it’s been summer, there’s been a lull and everyone is exhausted. But we’re on the verge of something very serious.

Otoh, quite what we should be saying and whether it would help, well I’m not sure about that either.

Anyhow, thanks for the resurrection Andy.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1068 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 10:18:43 pm

I’m livid about Brexit - a waste and destructive - and whilst I totally get why no one outside media/political circles is talking about it that much right now (this thread going quiet is a reflection of that) I kind of feel that we should. Sure, it’s been summer, there’s been a lull and everyone is exhausted. But we’re on the verge of something very serious.

Otoh, quite what we should be saying and whether it would help, well I’m not sure about that either.

Anyhow, thanks for the resurrection Andy.

I quite like Hugh Grant’s take, myself. Says it all, really:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1069 Re: EU Referendum
August 28, 2019, 11:21:38 pm
It makes me feel slightly better about being totally despondent and enraged about national politics that others are equally, if not more angry. Boris Johnson turns Queen's Balmoral stay into a holiday from hell

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/28/boris-johnson-turns-queens-balmoral-stay-into-a-holiday-from-hell?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#1070 Re: EU Referendum
August 29, 2019, 07:47:45 am

A few months ago I was driving back from the crag and got into a sort of Brexit argument with a born and bred English/British remainer. I have joint British and Irish nationality, my mother is from the Republic and my wife’s parents are northern Irish, with my mother-in-law growing up during the height of the troubles.

We had pretty different takes on the problem with the future border. She felt maintaining the United Kingdom needed to take priority over avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland. I would rather see the United Kingdom break apart than see a hard border. I have no desire for such and outcome but I don’t see it as worth anyone’s life when it’s a self generated disaster.

I think the main difference between us was just how serious we took the issue. I don’t think people of my generation in England quite understand just how disastrous this could be. The feeling of being an oppressed people, for a few, is just under the surface, and I think those escalations could very easily just be the beginning. Along with the fruit and petrol shortages and other loss of comforts and economic strife, sectarian violence and death is unfortunately a huge worry for me, and I don’t think it’s being talked about.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1071 Re: EU Referendum
August 29, 2019, 08:18:10 am
Original Backstop proposal was to have CU between NI and RI and have a ‘hard’ border between NI and England... which tbh makes much more sense. I suspect most in Remain voting NI would have been ok with that in some form..

But Arlene et al didn’t like it...

It’s fucking nuts that NI border is virtually ignored as an issue by many leavers....

Interesting wrt Scotland and Ruth Davidson... Tories rely on those 12 Scottish Tory MP’s.....

A GE will see some interesting ‘re balancing’ for all the parties...

I would (genuinely) like to think what any of the leavers who’ve posted on here think of BJ and the whole prorogue situation...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1072 Re: EU Referendum
August 29, 2019, 08:54:23 am
Boris Boris what a choad
Looks like a blond haired toad
Lying, scheming Tory scum
I wouldn't even bum their mum

OR as Haiku

Depressing summer
A large, liar toad scheming
because of the choad

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1073 Re: EU Referendum
August 29, 2019, 09:55:04 am

A few months ago I was driving back from the crag and got into a sort of Brexit argument with a born and bred English/British remainer. I have joint British and Irish nationality, my mother is from the Republic and my wife’s parents are northern Irish, with my mother-in-law growing up during the height of the troubles.

We had pretty different takes on the problem with the future border. She felt maintaining the United Kingdom needed to take priority over avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland. I would rather see the United Kingdom break apart than see a hard border. I have no desire for such and outcome but I don’t see it as worth anyone’s life when it’s a self generated disaster.

I think the main difference between us was just how serious we took the issue. I don’t think people of my generation in England quite understand just how disastrous this could be. The feeling of being an oppressed people, for a few, is just under the surface, and I think those escalations could very easily just be the beginning. Along with the fruit and petrol shortages and other loss of comforts and economic strife, sectarian violence and death is unfortunately a huge worry for me, and I don’t think it’s being talked about.

Does this not assume that, in the event of the UK breaking up, the loyalist side wouldn't carry out acts of violence? Wouldn't any divergance from the status quo result in increased unrest?

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1074 Re: EU Referendum
August 29, 2019, 11:51:51 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal