UKBouldering.com

Private Equity investment in The Climbing Hangar (Read 15351 times)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Is there a Sheffield Depot on the way?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
There was talk of one, can't see any recent change of use on the Council page, here's The Works one (no details of interior) https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PAXG27NYM0V00

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I look forward to seeing what they do with it. There's lots of potential but it's an odd space.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

Sounds a little like what the works seem to be aiming for with the building that was recently vacated next to them. Looking at the planning docs it sounds like they're gonna use the new space as a training only/elite area which you need a year membership to access.

Thats pretty cool. Guess there'll be a swipe card/turnstile system regulating access; piece of piss.

Hope Steve is going to be paying your consultancy fee when this all comes to pass in a year or so TTT  :2thumbsup:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Sounds a little like what the works seem to be aiming for with the building that was recently vacated next to them. Looking at the planning docs it sounds like they're gonna use the new space as a training only/elite area which you need a year membership to access.

Thats pretty cool. Guess there'll be a swipe card/turnstile system regulating access; piece of piss.

Hope Steve is going to be paying your consultancy fee when this all comes to pass in a year or so TTT  :2thumbsup:

Ha ha - perhaps Steve'll give me a free coffee or something next time I'm in!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
The idea of the elite area sounds interesting, but potentially quite dangerous. It doesn't really fit with the "look" of climbing which walls tend to go for, which is ultra-friendly and inclusive. Bearing in mind that the number one concern that I hear new climbers voicing is "I'll be rubbish at it"/"I don't want to embarrass myself", I can only imagine they'd feel quite shit if they got to the wall for their first CrushSesh and found that they'd be relegated to the climbing equivalent of a ball pool and soft play.

Also, if I'm presumably going to get access to the Elite area (questionable, I know!) and I need a year's pass, I can see it being prohibitively expensive since I'm generally an occasional/weekly-during-the-winter user. A year's pass probably wouldn't work for me but I still want access to the non-Dudebro bit.

tomtom

• forum hero
When the Manc depot was being built - I was chatting to Steve about the 30 and 50, and he said he deliberately wanted them to be within/part of the main bouldering area - not tucked away so it was the area where only the hardcore people went etc.. (a wee bit like it is at Leeds). Well that was my understanding/gist of the conversation anyway.

So I'd be surprised if this happened... but hey, wadda I know?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
sounds like it's just to compete with the School Room. I'm sure that'll work in Sheffield.

Paul B

• forum hero
When the Manc depot was being built - I was chatting to Steve about the 30 and 50, and he said he deliberately wanted them to be within/part of the main bouldering area - not tucked away

The 50 would be better tucked away, or at least all in one place with the other training IMO (although when I've driven to Manc Depot it isn't ever for the boards). This was more of an issue when the pen wasn't there and people would shortcut to the bathrooms, passing underneath the board.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
The idea of the elite area sounds interesting, but potentially quite dangerous. It doesn't really fit with the "look" of climbing which walls tend to go for, which is ultra-friendly and inclusive. Bearing in mind that the number one concern that I hear new climbers voicing is "I'll be rubbish at it"/"I don't want to embarrass myself", I can only imagine they'd feel quite shit if they got to the wall for their first CrushSesh and found that they'd be relegated to the climbing equivalent of a ball pool and soft play.

It's a good point - I guess if there was a Manchester-sized / scale centre opened elsewhere then the dilution from the Depot Leeds mk.1 would just happen organically, I guess the novelty would just drive people there like it did when Manchester opened.

Either way it's good to see that the climbing population of Leeds is still keen, and seemingly growing at a rate.

Agree about the shame of the lack of a roped centre in the city though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is Leeds Wall closed for a refurb, or closed forever?

tomtom

• forum hero
Is Leeds Wall closed for a refurb, or closed forever?

As far as I know (which may well be wrong - please correct me) - the owners decided (for reasons unknown to me) to close it and the Depot were/are trying to take over the site/business.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Thanks.

Shame, it was a great place for a long time.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I think the directors of the Leeds Wall were a lot of the Yorkshire old guard, who might just want to jack it in now they're all retired.

tk421a

• addict
Interesting that Cambridge warrants a mention - I'm from round that way and think that is an area rife for development.

I suspect that Cambridge itself would be prohibitive on the rents / parking front, but somewhere like Peterborough further north, or Royston further south would be viable. Not that I'm volunteering to move there and set one up.

There's a wall in Cambridge that opened up earlier this year.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
The new building at the Works has a number of different areas planned. There will have a climbing specific gym for strength and conditioning training. (The new gym part will also have an Infinity board so you can train stamina until you're arms drop off.) Then there will be a main climbing area aimed at comp specific problems, but will also have things like a splatter board (sounds disgusting - probably is). There will also be a seminar room, some much needed office space, treatment rooms for physios, etc. to use to try and fix people when they're injured, and so on. The facility is unashamedly elitist, but we will make the climbing space available at peak times for any of our customers who want to use it. I would imagine that this would self regulate to those folk who are climbing Font 6c/7a and upwards. I don't imagine there will be any climbing in this new part any easier than this. The rest of the time access will be restricted to members only to provide a modern environment for climbers who are serious about training, as well as a playground for route setters to practise and push their creativity a little. Assuming the planners say yes.... :popcorn:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Just to note that the main benefit for me with this investment is the monthly pass going down from £34 to £24! This also includes a yoga class a week and shoe hire if you need it. Aimed at keeping your average gym bod I'd have thought? 

Doubt you'll hear many complaining like...

Does this make it the cheapest monthly rate in the UK?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal