UKBouldering.com

Where is everyone today? (Read 16037 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:33:10 pm
soooo....unless I'm up that way, I won't bother again. It's often an 8 hour drive from Sheffield, the lifts are expensive and it's not a patch on the Alps. I reckon you're better off getting a cheap Easyjet to Geneva, hiring a car between four and driving an hour ish into the mountains. It'll probably take a bit longer than the drive to Scotland, but let's face it, the Alps are about 300% better.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#26 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:33:42 pm
who? what? I'm surviving! Excellent time on Saturday night rather tangled, fill in the blanks for yourselves.  :roll:  :?

Other weekend highlights:-

Good to meet the honourable Bubba and James out at Curbar on Saturday - that James is strong! and Bubba - awesome camera technique! any of your photies come out?

Ran into Graeme Alderson, Richie Patterson, Adam Pepper, Ben Moon and Joe Healey in the back room of the Lescar, watching some scallies kick a bag of wind around a field, had good chat with Richie who I haven't seen in ages, although I can't vouch for how much of it made sense.

Caffeinated drinks required, anyone fancy a brew?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#27 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:37:32 pm
Glad your bash was as good as expected  :wink:  Get some over-caffeinated sugary drink companys down you to liven yourself up!  

Some of the piccies might have come out, I'll have a look tonight. Problem is my flash is too slow to get really good results in the murky Gorilla Warfare pit.....

Didn't know Joe Healey was still about - the last time I saw him he was in a bit of a state after a night out in Leicester with us!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#28 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:39:19 pm
yeah, thats the right Joe - last time before yesterday I saw him he was in a tangle in the Broomhill tav. He's a quality old school rock jock - check the Power of climbing, which has got some of the best piccies in the world!

nik at work

• forum hero
#29 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:39:44 pm
fs/bs ?!?!? Not sure what this means. (I know its frontside and backside - just not clear what that actually means)
I ride normal (i.e. left foot forward) and was doing a 180 approaching the ramp (kicker?) switch (fakie?!) and spinning clockwise (as viewed from above) through 180 degrees. Is this a switch 180? Is it fs or bs?
Was also approaching the ramp (kicker?) normally (left foot forward) and then spinning anti-clockwise (as viewed from above) through 180 degrees. Is this a normal 180? is it fs or bs?
Sorry to ask so many dumb questions, I obviously don't know that much a bout boarding.
Why is riding switch so much harder that riding 'the normal way round', stringing together turns is desperate (I got bored and gave up trying quite quickly).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:45:17 pm
Front side is turning in the direction you are facing (toeside) and backside is the other way. So, if you are regular and you go off a kicker turning anti-clockwise that's frontside.
So what you're describing is a switch frontside 180 !

Switch = fakie but it's a bit of a misnomer borrowed from the world of skating. In skating switch is actually different to fakie, because your feet are in a different position, but in boarding obviously your feet don't move along the board, so it's all really just fakie.

I used to be able to ride fakie down blues and greens but will need to pick it up again now. It's handy to be able to do it both ways but dunno why one is so much harder.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:51:12 pm
I've just realised that that description is a bit ambigous but hope you know what I mean...

nik at work

• forum hero
#32 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 03:58:27 pm
No the explanation made sense to me, I just won't be able to remember it or apply it to what I actually do.
I think maybe boarding trick descriptions use the same part of the brain that bouldering grades do and I'm just never  going to really 'get them', blissfull ignorance rules....

mark

• forum abuser
#33 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 04:31:33 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
So what you're describing is a switch frontside 180 !

Switch front 180? That'll mainly be what we in the scientific community call a half cab!

nik at work

• forum hero
#34 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 04:38:50 pm
Oh bollocks, I'm all confused again.
A "half cab" is a "switch fs 180"
so a "cab" is a "switch fs 360". Correct?
So (theoretically) a "switch cab" would be a "normal fs 360" and and "switch half cab" would be a "normal fs 180", so what if its all bs?

Aaaaargh - I think my brain just melted...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#35 Where is everyone today?
February 10, 2003, 05:36:35 pm
Have a look at this site for lots of nerdy wordies!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#36 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 01:00:04 am
i used to head down to the snowdome on a regular basis during my student days (christ knows where i found the cash to do this from) but that sorts you out as there's bugger all to do there except JUMP all night long, got myself to a point where i could land a 360 about 1 in 10 times (sometimes managing a flicker of a touch of the board too)

unfortunately living out in HK means i've not seen snow for almost 3 years and not strapped on (fnar fnar) for about 5!  :cry:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#37 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 07:46:06 am
I always get put of jumping at the snowdome (though I've only been a few times) due to the flat landings but that's probably just me being a wuss, as there's loads of freestyle kiddies doing impressive things down there.

Get yourself over to Japan Stu, the boarding there is meant to be awesome.

dave

#38 Re: Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 09:15:42 am
Tumbleweeds are blowing across the board... in the distance a bell chimes....

Monday blues huh?

I was moving crib yesterday, so i weren't here. I took quite a while to manouver my solid gold leopard-skin chez lounge up the stairs, and my berreta is still propping the kitchen door open.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#39 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 10:03:09 am
Hope there's lotsa room to park the chromed up pimp-caddy out front??

You started the Walkley turf wars yet? Us southside boys are going to have to sort you out....

dave

#40 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 10:19:21 am
Yeah, I've got a drive-in under ground lair, like the sultan of brunei i've got 7 mercs, each colour of the rainbow with matching M16s in the boots.

I hope the south central Gz can dodge bullets like Keanu Reeves, or you've find a pound of lead in yo' face. Booka-booka. :guns:

nik at work

• forum hero
#41 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 10:20:33 am
It's good to have you back Dave, still don't know what the fuck you're talking about mind...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#42 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:02:23 am
Quote from: "dave"
I hope the south central Gz can dodge bullets like Keanu Reeves, or you've find a pound of lead in yo' face. Booka-booka. :guns:

The Southside Dons, FatboySF, Fatdoc and Bubba will be waiting bwoy !!!

Bring it on

nik at work

• forum hero
#43 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:07:53 am
It would seem that this 'jive talk' is contagious....

dave

#44 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:19:53 am
We'll just have to get medieval on your collective asses!

And you guys will be like:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#45 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:22:19 am
Oh god, it's the war of the emoticons! Al Pacino watch out....

dave

#46 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:23:35 am
Check this shit out!! :shock:

The granddaddy of them all.....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#47 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 11:25:13 am
Jeesuz - that is ridiculous!!!

mozzer

• addict
#48 Where is everyone today?
February 11, 2003, 04:59:58 pm
Where the fuck did you get those from??!!!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#49 Where is everyone today?
February 12, 2003, 04:49:37 am
I always get put of jumping at the snowdome (though I've only been a few times) due to the flat landings.

a valid reason - it used to be fine at the start of the night and after the mid-night make over session but it'd often be icey

my arse always had a HUGE purple patch on atleast one cheek from bad landings after a session down there, managed a few all out back slaps there too, which generally were a little bit on the painful side!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal