UKBouldering.com

Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad (Read 13308 times)

RobinB

• addict
#50 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 03:08:13 pm
Thanks KAC - the swingometer heads ever further towards the cheaper Saturn :)

kac

• addict
#51 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 03:39:00 pm
I looked into getting some new foam on the organic website and just the bottom layer with delivery was £200. Realising all the foam is pretty knackered I gave up and bought the cirro. Hopefully as more pads get older the importer starts stocking it in the uk. Only info I could get on the core pads is from their Instagram posts. Hopefully the pads are better than their  marketing! Only downside to the cirro seems to be that you can't strap another pad in it like you can with the organic.

RobK

• stalker
#52 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 04:15:24 pm
I rented the big Organic when I was in Albarracin a few months ago and was so impressed I am going to stump up for one. Has anyone got any experience with the back country version? Looks like it is essentially the same but with a padded hip belt (which can be bought as an add-on for the normal pad?) and some more padded and removable shoulder straps. Can't tell if this is a good feature or would be annoying in the long run. Can anyone offer any insight?

Bradders

• forum hero
#53 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 05:29:32 pm
I rented the big Organic when I was in Albarracin a few months ago and was so impressed I am going to stump up for one. Has anyone got any experience with the back country version? Looks like it is essentially the same but with a padded hip belt (which can be bought as an add-on for the normal pad?) and some more padded and removable shoulder straps. Can't tell if this is a good feature or would be annoying in the long run. Can anyone offer any insight?

I've carried one a couple of times and it made a super annoying squeeking noise, and wasn't noticeably more comfortable than the standard pad.

Put it this way the standard Organic is already a) more comfortable than the Saturn and Alpkit (by a factor of about a million for the latter), and b) expensive enough. I wouldn't be spending any more on an overengineered carry system.

This topic has been gone over ad infinitum on here, but it boils down to:

- The Organic is by far the best.
- The Organic is by far the longest lasting.
- Any quibbles with the Organic about fitting stuff into it pale into insignificance when you land on it safely over and over again for years.
- The Organic was the most expensive but Alpkit clearly just don't want to sell any Projects anymore. Usually though, you get what you pay for...

Surely that's a mistake on the website?!? Last time I looked at those they were less than £300 (if I remember correctly) and a solid budget option for those who could overlook how awkward they were to carry and some strap/carry system issues.

These were 280 not that long ago I thought to! Was considering it as a future replacement for an organic given the increases in prices

I bought mine for £200 in late 2019! Quite some inflation there!

Bradders

• forum hero
#54 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 05:30:18 pm
does the taco form, mean a bigger load (i.e. more than one pad) becomes a bit unstable, essentially the surface against your back isn't quite flat or the load distributed so well?

Not in my experience. I regularly carry a Moon Warrior, Grivel and Organic Blubber all strapped to my Saturn (which is usually stuffed with camera, tripod, kit, etc.) and it feels perfectly balanced/weighted. I can't exactly carry it very far but that's my own limitation not the pad  ;)

Amazing how much my opinion has changed on this BTW  :lol:

RobK

• stalker
#55 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 06:54:44 pm
Thanks Bradders :)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#56 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 07:31:33 pm
I know a couple of people who really rate the Backfourty (as it is now) particularly for long walk ins and carrying heavy loads.

My normal one squeaks loads these days too!

Hacker

#57 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 10:26:59 am
I bought the optional hip belt when I got my big organic pad, it helps alot in getting the load onto the hips and I wouldn't want to carry any extra load without it. The biggest drawback is carrying heavy loads inside has ruined the velcro on the shilder straps that hold it central in the middle of the pad. As a result the main shoulder strap now slides from side to side and putting it on is a pain especially when well loaded. I keep meaning to get it stitched in place like a friend did. On the Moon pads the staps holding it shut are are not designed as well for heavy loads inside and I have seen a few which have failed.
Another option to the organic/moon could be the larger flashed pad which is similar to the organic.

chrisbrooke

• regular
    • My youtube shuffling
#58 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 10:37:17 am
I've a Saturn and I'd give it a thumbs up for carrying. I strap two other pads to it (Ocun Dominator and an old Alpkit something-or-other), stick a camera tripod and warm-up board in it, and it still is relatively comfy and well balanced to carry. The shoulder straps are not getting trashed despite bearing a pretty heavy load.
Downside is it's gone soft a lot quicker than I'd have hoped for.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#59 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 11:24:30 am
Side note, surely there's an emerging market for someone to setup a foam replacement service? I imagine much of the cost of new products is labour (plus wholesale/retail margins). I can't believe that mostly air is *that* expensive. Must be lots of pads out there past their shock absorbing best but with covers and straps in ok condition? I got lucky with some offcuts from a wall refurb but I've had another 2 years from a past it pad for the cost a few quid to MR. Entrepreneur anyone?

Small stock area, cutting facility, bit of expertise on densities for different pads. Shipping is always going to be a nuisance granted.

chrisbrooke

• regular
    • My youtube shuffling
#60 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 11:37:20 am
You can get replacement foam for a Saturn for £160 but I can’t decide if that money would be better put towards another large pad instead….

abarro81

• forum hero
#61 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 11:38:57 am
There is a single foam sheet on top of the organic so afraid its also best to store unfolded.

Yeah I think all pads are best stored unfolded if space allows.

Maybe the structure has changed - my Organics are all old - but I've had Organics stored folded the whole time and they're lasting fine (7+ years for the oldest one, still going strong). [caveat: I don't really highball, and obviously maybe the pads would be in an even better state if stored properly!]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:47:05 am by abarro81 »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#62 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 12:38:28 pm
Side note, surely there's an emerging market for someone to setup a foam replacement service? I imagine much of the cost of new products is labour (plus wholesale/retail margins). I can't believe that mostly air is *that* expensive. Must be lots of pads out there past their shock absorbing best but with covers and straps in ok condition? I got lucky with some offcuts from a wall refurb but I've had another 2 years from a past it pad for the cost a few quid to MR. Entrepreneur anyone?

Small stock area, cutting facility, bit of expertise on densities for different pads. Shipping is always going to be a nuisance granted.

Might be a good sideline for an existing gymnastic pads manufacturer, they have the setup already surely.

kac

• addict
#63 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 12:41:31 pm
I don't think the organic design has changed. It is only the thin top layer that is a one piece but I did post that in response to the suggestion you can store unfolded without 'any' adverse effects. If you have to store folded it's a way better design than a taco pad and the foam lasts ages anyway. It's only after about 9 years using most weeks that it's too soft and it is the fold point that is worst.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#64 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 01:51:22 pm
I'm also considering a Moon Saturn or one of the large Organic pads - key question for me is how easy it is to carry a bouldering bag within the pad. This currently works fine with my Moon Warrior (so assume the taco-style Saturn will be similar).

Does anybody have any feedback as to how easy (or otherwise) it is to carry a bouldering bag within one of the larger split style mats such as the Organic big pad? I don't really want to have to carry a mat on my back and a bag over my shoulder as this seems to twist my back on long walk ins

Are you looking to add more pads to it, or to use on its own?

I have a Big organic and two of their regular size pads and I much prefer the two smaller pads strapped together (plus a sit start pad) with a rucksack strapped on top with two bungee cords.

Unless it’s a really short walk I barely use my big pad now (though it’s still great). It is heavy and it sits low which makes it a lot less comfy to walk with (it extends down over my ass which makes me walk a bit hunched).

It’s your comment on twisting your back that made me think of how uncomfortable I find mine.

So whilst it’s a great pad I generally choose the two smaller ones these days over a big + a small.

RobinB

• addict
#65 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 03:23:29 pm
Thanks James - but aaargh - more choice!

RobinB

• addict
#66 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 03:24:48 pm
But yes, I'm mainly looking to replace an old Moon Warrior so a new medium sized Organic pad with the old Moon Warrior as a backup is definitely a (cheaper) option

James Malloch

• forum hero
#67 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 03:30:09 pm
Thanks James - but aaargh - more choice!

Yeah - choice is a pain in the arse!

It really is a great pad and I used it for years as my main pad (rucksack inside). Last year I forgot it once and just had a normal one (or two) with me and the walk-in up to somewhere like the Sheep Pen in North Wales was just transformed for me. It was so much more comfortable.

So unless it’s got no walk in (like Kilnsey) or I want to take extra pads somewhere I just stick with two of the smaller ones which only weigh a tiny bit more than one big one. But I’d probably still take the big one if it was going to be my only pad for the day.

Or maybe I’ve just got my straps setup badly  :slap:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#68 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 03:44:49 pm
Snap fans: have they sorted out a decent carry system now? Last one I used only had shoulder straps which were lob sided and no waist or chest strap which meant you couldn’t really load it up for long walk ins.

Yes.

I'm honestly not on a mission to slag off all other pad companies, however my friend has the biggest snap pad and the straps are attached as low as possible, therefore half the pad is above shoulder height which makes it particularly top heavy when carrying it, especially if you're shoving things in it too. I just thought it was a very poor design choice.
:wave: I am that friend (I think) and if I had the chance again, I’d get the organic big over the snap (don’t tell 36C...). The cover of my snap is currently off getting fixed as the strap has snapped and various stitchings have come undone, all in less than 6 months... I’ve also had a Saturn before but the foam didn’t last as long as I’d hoped - stored as per instructions...

Get the Organic
Update on this, I've had a big Organic for the past 3.5 years and still going strong. Def longer-lasting than Moon or Snap equivalents.

My advice to "Get the Organic" still relevant, four years on :)

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#69 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 04:05:58 pm
Saw one of the new Core pads at the Depot, looked the nutz but was £260 for a normal size pad. I imagine the bigger pad will be top dollar, hopes of a homegrown big organic without the added import costs fading away...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#70 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 04:13:58 pm

Or maybe I’ve just got my straps setup badly  :slap:

I wonder if it is your set up, I regularly carry two big pads strapped together for up to 15 mins walk in maybe, and unless it’s >40 mins or really steep I’ll usually take a large + normal organic.

There is two holes in the back of pad where the straps can go through, so you can move it to the bottom one if it’s not already there and that puts it higher up your back.

RobinB

• addict
#71 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
December 01, 2022, 06:54:28 pm
Re the Core pads, they have one of the large Core pads for sale at the Depot in Sheffield. However price is around the 400 quid mark. Look solid and well made though

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal