UKBouldering.com

Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad (Read 13310 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
#25 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 06:57:15 pm
does the taco form, mean a bigger load (i.e. more than one pad) becomes a bit unstable, essentially the surface against your back isn't quite flat or the load distributed so well?

Not in my experience. I regularly carry a Moon Warrior, Grivel and Organic Blubber all strapped to my Saturn (which is usually stuffed with camera, tripod, kit, etc.) and it feels perfectly balanced/weighted. I can't exactly carry it very far but that's my own limitation not the pad  ;)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#26 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 07:56:17 pm
For next year I'll be getting their new backcountry pad.

:wub:
I'm saving my pennies and waiting till my next trip stateside so the shipping is less.

Andy on shorter walk ins like to the Bowderstone (from the main car park) I’ve frequently carried 2 big organics plus a regular one and a blubber all strapped together, and whilst it weighs a tonne it’s super stable.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#27 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 08:10:30 pm
I think Andy was only speaking to the taco design, not the hinged. 

The shoulder attachment and general material is key for carrying heavy loads.  Some of the thinner nylon will rip, and if the stitching isn't heavy duty, then it can rip out as well.

This is one I haven't seen in person yet, but looks like a nice setup.  1' closed, 2" inch open, 1" closed and 58" by 41" for $285.  I've generally had good luck w Asana.  not as good as organic, but better than BD, Metolius, etc.
https://asanaclimbing.com/collections/crash-pads/products/superhero-highball-pad

rodma

• forum hero
#28 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 07, 2018, 12:17:03 pm
The big organic fits perfectly between the wheel arches of a T4, which made it my pad of choice, since it tucks under the bed.
The carry system is comfy enough to load the pad up with a snap wrap and some other general stuff, top three point where my sparrow legs are the limiting factor

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#29 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 01:02:05 pm
Couple of events this week have convinced me, that despite not bouldering that much anymore, it's time to buy a new pad. Looking at the Saturn and Big Pad as per OP but also considering a Wrap/Grand Wrap.

I'm not really into highballing, dropping off Anston problems about as high as I go.  I do have a dodgy back and knee though.

Generally travel with a smaller (pod) mat for levelling landings and a bump start pad as well so need to consider fitting them inside or attaching them to the outside, plus a moon bag which I'd rather was stuffed inside for longer approaches too.

I'm changing my mind every time I think about it, really like the Snaps when I've landed on them but they looks a bit cumbersome and weigh a lot. The Big Pad is folding which I've always had, the carry system looks good and it soounds like they're bopmbproff.  But I have to wonder whether I can justify the extra £75 over the Saturn which I'm sure would be perfectly good (anyone know if they're made in the UK, I suspect not?).

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 01:16:54 pm
All similar size, Moon £275, Organic and Snap £325 (thats on Bannafingers site...).

You know I like the Snap pads Nai - I think they're better to fall on (which for me is the main criteria for a pad!).

But - they weigh more and you do have to store them open. First isn't a problem really for me as I don't do any walk ins longer than 20 min and rarely take loads of pads. Second is a pain as it adds a min or so to every time you take it out of the car etc.. also means its best not to leave it folded in the car for too long... But its a especially onerous task :)

Organic have a nice carry system - and are supposed to last for ages etc.. (are they also the thinnest of the three?)

I know nothing about the Moon pads...

Worth also thinking that - as all of these are > 1m in width - they'll have to go in most smaller cars (your wifes?) with the back seats down.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#31 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 02:53:57 pm
Don't get the moon pad. Mine fell apart and foam went soft after just a couple years. My friend has had there snap for 7 years now. Foam and outer still good. Also they store it folded which bust the myth of storing it folded makes the middle go soft on taco styles.

T_B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 03:02:00 pm
I bought my Moon Saturn in 2008 and it's still going strong, though one of the handles has now snapped. It's undoubtedly the best pad I've ever had in terms of the foam still being incredibly robust. All the other pads (currently the DMM Highball) seem to go soft after a few years. Dunno what was in those OG Saturns but they were awesome.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 03:05:55 pm
I think I might be in the minority here, but I really like my Saturn. I had one for about 7 years before replacing it last year. Having only owned Saturns for so long I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the cover seems to have survived better than most on my old one (new one hasn't had enough use to judge this yet). Although the foam was fairly soft at the end of it's life - it was 7 years old and had seen a lot of falls. The foam seemed to soften at a rate not dissimilar to my friend's Snap pad.

Not intending to contradict everything Haydn said, but my (old) Saturn is definitely softer along the middle where it was stored folded, to the extent that I now only store my new one open.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#34 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 03:29:14 pm
Cheers all.  Is Moon QC maybe a bit variable?

I really like my Saturn. I had one for about 7 years before replacing it last year.

Apparently there's a new waistbelt/carry system. Is your new one that model and does it make carrying easier/more stable than previous?

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 05:12:29 pm
My SnapWrap from 3.5 years ago really suffered from being stored folded

(There’s a post I made about it in may2015)

But I rearranged the Cells of foam from the middle to the outside (so firm ones were in the middle) - started to always store it open - and it’s been fine for the last 3 years...

Maybe snap have changed the foam since (I have a 2016 grand wrap that’s maybe firmer or possibly newer).

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
September 14, 2018, 05:20:52 pm
Cheers all.  Is Moon QC maybe a bit variable?

I really like my Saturn. I had one for about 7 years before replacing it last year.

Apparently there's a new waistbelt/carry system. Is your new one that model and does it make carrying easier/more stable than previous?

Yeah my new one has the waistbelt & chest strap which my previous version didn't. It's a much nicer carry with it, which is a good job as it's substantially heavier than the old version.

RobinB

• addict
#37 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 01:23:32 pm
I'm also considering a Moon Saturn or one of the large Organic pads - key question for me is how easy it is to carry a bouldering bag within the pad. This currently works fine with my Moon Warrior (so assume the taco-style Saturn will be similar).

Does anybody have any feedback as to how easy (or otherwise) it is to carry a bouldering bag within one of the larger split style mats such as the Organic big pad? I don't really want to have to carry a mat on my back and a bag over my shoulder as this seems to twist my back on long walk ins

yetix

• forum abuser
#38 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 01:26:27 pm
I can get a bag, ladder and fan inside a big organic when needed (ofc it's very heavy with that setup!) so the middle can take quite a bit of stuff when needed

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#39 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 01:42:23 pm
whereas my fans carry my pad for me.

RobinB

• addict
#40 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:17:19 pm
Thanks Yetix - does the Organic have anything to stop a bag dropping out of the bottom of the mat? The Moon pads have a wrap around flap that does this. Also, do the buckles get stressed through the pad not bending so much with a bag between the two halves?

Hmm - just made my decision a bit more difficult as I'd just about settled on the Moon Saturn  :(

kac

• addict
#41 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:25:56 pm
No it doesn't. how about a petzl cirro. I've just replaced my big organic with one of these and it has a clever cover to keep everything in. Went for that because as fantastic as the organic has been they are pretty expensive now. Got the cirro for about £285. Didn't go for a Saturn cos it wouldn't fit in the car boot without the seats down!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#42 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:34:02 pm
Thanks Yetix - does the Organic have anything to stop a bag dropping out of the bottom of the mat?

Yes there’s a buckle at the ‘bottom’ (when it’s on your shoulders) of the mat

Droyd

• addict
#43 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:47:56 pm
I feel a bit like a UKC poster as this is pretty off-topic, but it's somewhat related as it's a massive hinged pad and I figure might be useful in case anyone is considering getting one as an alternative to a Saturn/Organic: I have an Alpkit Project, which is fantastic once it's down but shit in every other sense. I'm pretty sure the backpack I took to primary school had a better carrying system, and it doesn't seem to have occurred to the designer that people might want to carry anything in the pad as there wasn't enough slack in the straps when closed for anything more than a jacket when I first got it, and the only reason I can fit a bag in now is due to material stretch and presumably the foam getting a bit softer.

Admittedly it does look like the carry system has been beefed up ever so slightly on the new model but I suspect the strap issue is the same, which is pretty incredible given it comes in at a wildly uncompetitive £499.99...

chrisbrooke

• regular
    • My youtube shuffling
#44 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:52:42 pm
Surely that's a mistake on the website?!? Last time I looked at those they were less than £300 (if I remember correctly) and a solid budget option for those who could overlook how awkward they were to carry and some strap/carry system issues.

RobinB

• addict
#45 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:57:39 pm
Thanks KAC, Teestub. Fitting the mat in the car shouldnt be an issue, however I suspect the Saturn is best unfolded for storage while the Organic could be left folded without any adverse effects.

Good info on the Alpkit Droyd, Chris - being able to easily carry a mat for reasonably long walk-ins is a must have.

Suspect it may well boil down to how much I'm prepared to pay - the Organics look good but significantly more expensive than the Saturn

kac

• addict
#46 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 02:58:03 pm
I noticed that and assumed it was a typo! There's also the new core pads. They seem to be going for the approach of discreet marketing but from what I could gather one was too big for me and one too small. Being core I'd have thought they'd be good quality and locally produced which is good

kac

• addict
#47 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 03:00:58 pm
There is a single foam sheet on top of the organic so afraid its also best to store unfolded.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#48 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 03:02:28 pm
Yeah I think all pads are best stored unfolded if space allows.

yetix

• forum abuser
#49 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
November 30, 2022, 03:04:15 pm
Surely that's a mistake on the website?!? Last time I looked at those they were less than £300 (if I remember correctly) and a solid budget option for those who could overlook how awkward they were to carry and some strap/carry system issues.

These were 280 not that long ago I thought to! Was considering it as a future replacement for an organic given the increases in prices

Does anyone know how straightforward organic foam replacement wouild be in the uk

And the prices of core pads?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal