UKBouldering.com

Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad (Read 13317 times)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 09:50:03 am
Whilst stewing in the hot temps, my mind wanders to the future and I think I need a new pad, the question is which one? Any thoughts anyone?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 01:04:08 pm
This won’t answer your question properly - but my musings on pads...

I recently bought an organic regular pad (fits perfectly in the odd boot shape of my car) and whilst it’s really welll made and looks nice. It was £200. It may well last for ages etc... but it’s a smallish side foam pad. Lotta £££.

I’ve got a snap wrap and grand wrap too - and these are fantastoc pads - but you have to store them open - and they are heavy for long walk ins.

I wish... someone would make a folding pad that combines the best features. That is (imho)

1. Air cell things like in the Snap pads. They are superb imho and miles better than just foam.

2. Folding not taco - so the air cells don’t crush/wear out when folded - but WITH the layer of foam covering the seam like the organic pads.

3. Bottom becomes outside - and with a folding or Velcro ing cover (like organic or moon pads).

Over to you manufacturs :)

Ps - are these Organic pads as bulletproof and long lasting as folks say - or do they just look cool on Instagram?

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#2 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 01:23:26 pm
I have an Ocun Dominator and think that's a fantastic pad. Nice, big landing area. Really thick, good quality foam and not too heavy. Material is strong and easy to wipe clean. It can also be zipped in half so you can use it as two separate pads, or a long traverse pad

Good pad.

I think it's a great pad

Andy W

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 01:38:45 pm
I'm sure Ocun and Snap make good pads. However I'm interested in either the Saturn or Organic Big Pad. My research has led me to this particular choice, just can't decide if paying more gets me a better pad?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#4 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 02:18:34 pm
The choice seems to some down to whether you prefer taco or fold really. Not sure about longevity of new Saturns but they’ve sorted out the carry system which looks great now. I’m on my 3rd Organic big pad and I still use my oldest one (11 years old I think) for cave and bowderstone. Pretty much all the stitching and straps are intact and the fabric is still undamaged. It’s never been an issue for me taking a tarp to wet places but some people seem to prefer taco for this reason.

Oh yeah have they added the corners back in on the Saturns now? The missing bits of the corners left perfect ankle fucking holes if you had them tessellated with a load of rectangular pads.

joeisidle

• addict
#5 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 02:20:09 pm
Having had both of the pads in question in the last few years, if you're dead set on only picking between those two I'd definitely say the Organic. You're basically paying for something that's going to last significantly longer than the Saturn. I'd second what tomtom says about Organics too; compared to other pads I've owned they're really well made, have a massive surface area and (crucially) don't need to be stored flat, which can be a pain if you don't have an easy space to do this at home and is a must for any taco pad if you want it to last.

Ignoring your question slightly, even if you're more inclined towards a large taco pad I'd definitely go for one of the large Snaps instead, as they seem to last a lot better than the Saturn.

36chambers

• forum hero
#6 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 03:03:47 pm
Big organic all day, every day. I'm really not a fan of the Moon Saturn (or any moon pads actually). Considering the pads are more or less the same size, the Saturn feels like significantly more faff and effort to move around.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 03:13:10 pm
Looks like Organic is favoured so far. I've had a warrior moon pad and it was ok, but yes not great. In fact I've had many pads, but never an Organic. I've landed on them plenty, but never really scrutinised them (well you don't do you). Size is important! Taco or not Taco less of an issue, I've currently got a BD Mondo, but its heavy and not nice to carry, especially as about a third of all straps and buckles etc seem to have broken.

So Organic it will be. Thanks for your thoughts.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#8 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 03:46:37 pm
Snap fans: have they sorted out a decent carry system now? Last one I used only had shoulder straps which were lob sided and no waist or chest strap which meant you couldn’t really load it up for long walk ins.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 04:56:18 pm
Snap fans: have they sorted out a decent carry system now? Last one I used only had shoulder straps which were lob sided and no waist or chest strap which meant you couldn’t really load it up for long walk ins.

Yes.

36chambers

• forum hero
#10 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 07:31:06 pm

Yes.

I'm honestly not on a mission to slag off all other pad companies, however my friend has the biggest snap pad and the straps are attached as low as possible, therefore half the pad is above shoulder height which makes it particularly top heavy when carrying it, especially if you're shoving things in it too. I just thought it was a very poor design choice. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#11 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 07:48:04 pm
Moon obvs. Support our sponsor

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#12 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 08:16:52 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 09:30:42 pm
@36chambers

I have one of those - and it’s a bit too heavy - but it’s 1.3m high.. so if shoulder straps were much higher the bottom would hit your thighs... (esp if short).. I rarely stuff shit in mine - as it’s 10-12kg already and find it much more comfy to have a backpack on my front.

@stubbsy a fuller answer :) the prob with the salty ones was the closure was two Velcro flaps. My newer one has Velcro in the strap where it attaches as well as two Velcro flaps so is v secure. It also has a thick - good - waistband.
But if it were only 6kg it wouldn’t need it so much!!

I think the snap absorption method/tech is superb - but it’s heavier - and in a taco gas to be stored open.. both sometimes a pita :)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#14 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 09:37:07 pm
Tom thanks for that. For ref big Organic pad is 4 feet high so just over 1.2 m and sits well on the back, they’re about 9kg empty (weighed them for flying) and I often carry two strapped together.

I think a waist band is key for stabilising, especially if you’re carrying a few pads or have a bag stuffed in for a mountain crag day.

Bradders

• forum hero
#15 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 09:42:53 pm
To give the other side of the argument; I'd get the Saturn all day every day. In basic numbers it beats the Organic comfortably. It's bigger, thicker and getting on for £100 cheaper!

The carry system is very comfortable and in my opinion it's no more difficult to move about when at the crag. At the end of the day it's a very large pad which is always going to be more cumbersome than some of the beer towels (by comparison) I see people using.

I think the taco design is superior in all sorts of ways too. It's brilliant for loading up with all your gear and I really like that no matter what the landing is like you'll never get mud all over the straps. I do still use a tarp if it's really wet though that's just good sense.

I think the only consistent argument I hear for the Organic is it's longevity, but honestly it's so much more expensive that it really doesn't work out any better in the long run and you get a smaller, thinner landing zone as a result.

Basically it's so good I'm a little scared of using any other pads now. I've also bouldered regularly over the last year or so with people who only use Organics (naming no names  :) ;)) and it's always my Saturn that ends up on the top of the pad stack...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#16 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 10:00:09 pm
£64 difference on a quick price search, so the Organic would have to last 25% longer to be worth the extra?! I’ll leave the maths to you!  ;D

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#17 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 05, 2018, 10:31:49 pm

Yes.

I'm honestly not on a mission to slag off all other pad companies, however my friend has the biggest snap pad and the straps are attached as low as possible, therefore half the pad is above shoulder height which makes it particularly top heavy when carrying it, especially if you're shoving things in it too. I just thought it was a very poor design choice.
:wave: I am that friend (I think) and if I had the chance again, I’d get the organic big over the snap (don’t tell 36C...). The cover of my snap is currently off getting fixed as the strap has snapped and various stitchings have come undone, all in less than 6 months... I’ve also had a Saturn before but the foam didn’t last as long as I’d hoped - stored as per instructions...

Get the Organic

James Malloch

• forum hero
#18 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 08:20:28 am
I've got the organic which I think is great, though the stitching at the hinge has broken after 6 months of infrequent use.

It's heavy but comfortable and using their additional strap (c.£30) it's easy to strap extra pads on.

I'm guessing you've looked at dimensions but it is very large in a lot of cars. It fits perfectly flat in a berlingo boot but getting it in a friends Fabia is annoying unless you're happy to lose all the back seats.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#19 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 08:34:56 am
Just to add my experience. I have a Snap Grand Wrap - the big one with the air system. I've not owned moon or organic pads but I've used them plenty.

Imho the snap beats all other pads in terms of landings. I'd say it's equivalent to 2 standard foam pads stacked.

This does come at a price - it's heavy. Another complaint is the velcro straps gradually pick up dirt and become less grippy - always close the velcro when you are using the pad.

Bradders

• forum hero
#20 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 02:04:39 pm
£64 difference on a quick price search, so the Organic would have to last 25% longer to be worth the extra?! I’ll leave the maths to you!  ;D

Time will tell, and to be fair I've only had my Saturn for a year but it's showing zero signs of ageing despite what I would think is pretty heavy usage. And as I say, for that potential extra longevity you have to sacrifice quite a lot.

using their additional strap (c.£30)

Tells it's own story this as well; £30 for a strap!! I use a £5 sling and a bit of bungee cord I found on the side of the road to attach extra pads to my Saturn. Maybe I'm just bitter because I spent £125 on the Organic Blubber...

I think this feels a bit like choosing between buying either an Audi (Organic) or a Skoda (Moon). The former might feel a little bit nicer and you'll get more admiring looks (ladies/gents love boulder pads right?), but you'll get far more for your hard earned with the latter even if you do look like a taxi driver  ::)

P.s. can you guess what type of car I drive  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 02:23:13 pm
Ocun or Black Diamond would fit the Skoda Or VW pattern :D

Ps. What highrepute said re landing on snap air pads. My old knees thank me for it..

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#22 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 05:17:29 pm
My housemate splashed out on the Ocun Incubator and its comfortably the best pad I have ever landed on. Its gargantuan, and is the same width packed up as a Moon Warrior.

When I am forced to spend my own money on a pad I will give buying one serious thought.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#23 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 06:00:28 pm
Being US based, I've not seen the snap or moon pads on this side of the pond.  Lots of organic, asana, BD, metolius, Madrock, etc. 

I've found that there are different pads for different areas.  Some pads are better for highballs w flat landings, some better in talus.  Some are better for landing on your back, some for saving your ankles. 

The durability of the organic has been amazing where I'm at for developing in alpine talus areas.  It stuffs into hole well, the foam has lasted, the sewing is top notch and the carrying system is decent.  I typically run three pads strapped together plus gear and it's held up well.  I've ripped out the sewing in many pads shoulder straps simply due to the sheer weight of my kit.  For next year I'll be getting their new backcountry pad.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#24 Re: Moon Saturn or Organic Big Pad
August 06, 2018, 06:28:10 pm
I think this a key issue, i.e. carrying more than one pad, strapped together. My Mondo has ultimately fairly flimsy harness and has ripped its attachments, whilst carrying Mondo plus another pad. Prior to this i often carried two smaller pads, sometimes three strapped together, the base/carrying pad was a Pod, no complaints here. So it does seem that the carrying set up is quite important. It would seem the Organic would give a good base for carrying more than one pad. The Moon, does throw up a question, does the taco form, mean a bigger load (i.e. more than one pad) becomes a bit unstable, essentially the surface against your back isn't quite flat or the load distributed so well?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal