UKBouldering.com

Skiathos in August: baby beta (Read 2004 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 12:40:45 pm
A mate is getting married in sunny Skiathos at the end of August so myself, my non-climbing wife, and 15 month baby (I suppose she's a toddler as of a few days ago when she took her first steps, but she's really a crawler at the moment) are going for a week.

First thing to ask is: is there any climbing on the island or its coast. I found no info online so I'm guessing this is going to be a resounding no.

Secondly, my wife and I aren't really beach/sitting by the pool people. Any suggestions of things to do? Where necessary we'll be getting around by bus/taxi. The hotel we're staying in is about a 35 minute walk west from the centre of Skiathos town.

Thirdly, and most importantly, we're both getting increasingly neurotic about how to manage a tiny person in 30 degree heat. We normally keep her in a fairly uniform routine which generally means that she's an angel because we and her both know when to expect grub and to be put to bed etc. I'm not particularly worried about keeping her cool which is all common sense stuff, but I am nervy about getting her food when she needs it and getting her to go to sleep if we're out and about because, of course, a baby which is tired or hungry or (god forbid) both is a complete hellbeast.
We're staying bed and breakfast at the hotel so I'm wondering about loads of stuff like where to buy and keep whole milk in Greece so that she can have her morning and pre-bedtime bottle (I'm thinking the hotel mini-bar and then keep the milk in a chilled thermos when we're out and about - hopefully that will stand up to the heat); what do we do if she won't eat anything at lunchtime; what to do about bedtime routine as we're eating out. Normally she eats at about half 4, plays a bit, has a bath sometime around 5 - 5:30, has books and bottle before bed which is normally around 6 - 6:30. I imagine that finding somewhere to eat an evening meal in Greece at half 4 is going to be hard work! A colleague has suggested that we keep her on UK time (2 hours behind), so that she'll start to get hungry around 6-6:30pm local time, at which time we should be able to get food in a restaurant. I'm not planning on then scooting back to the hotel to do the rest of the usual bedtime routine, I'm hoping that we can get her to sleep in the travel pram so that we can stay out and enjoy the evening.
The UK time thing theoretically has the added advantage of a lie-in!

It transpires that Greek islands are expensive during the school holidays (who knew?) so any recommendations for cheap places to eat will be gratefully received.

Any beta? Do I just need to pull my socks up and stop being hysterical?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 01:28:55 pm
Do I just need to pull my socks up and stop being hysterical?

Pretty much.

Go with the flow. We went to the Alps in midsummer when youngest was 1 and a bit and she coped with heat fine. Your going to Greece, a civilised country, not deepest Congo. Where, incidentally, people have taken kids of that age and coped fine.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 01:35:07 pm
Where, incidentally, people have taken kids of that age and coped fine.

Oh I've no doubt that we'll all come back alive, I just wondered whether there was any hard-won learning from experience that battle hardened parents could pass on.

We've taken her to Portugal for two weeks, but that was in November and we were self catered so easier to stick to a routine.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 01:43:48 pm
If she's happy napping somewhere already, just stick with that; carseat, baby carrier, pushchair, cot. If she's not knackered and sleeps OK, the rest will just come by itself.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#4 Re: Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 02:25:04 pm
No evidence of climbing. Saw one picture of a rock but i didnt look pretty. Things to do include but are not limited to:

be on a boat
be in the sea
be in a pool
be in a different pool
wakeboarding
scuba/snorkel

Just put Hunt Jr into one of those floaty kid things in the pool/sea/behind a boat. Will be reet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Skiathos in August: baby beta
August 07, 2018, 05:27:02 pm
SUP.

No doubt.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal