UKBouldering.com

mid back stifness (Read 1803 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
mid back stifness
July 06, 2018, 12:14:15 pm
Does anyone here suffer from this and has worked out some countermeasures? Does it point to specific weaknesses?

I seem to get it the day after trying my current long-term project. ache on the side of the spine, more or less where the shoulder blades end.
restricted ROM especially in twisting motions.

it pisses me as the route is 4h drive from home and having 2 consecutive quality days on it would be the ideal solution.

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: mid back stifness
July 06, 2018, 01:14:52 pm
Yes! I've been plagued by this for a good while now.
Tends to do me in when I've been carrying a heavy load, sat without a decent back rest or stood in the  A very dull ache in the centre that is hard to shift without either doing that downward dog yoga pose or 'angel wings'... Quite frustrating. Not sure if that is the same thing you are experiencing?
It has even distrupted my sleep on a number of occasions.
Interested to hear from others on if this is an imbalance and what could be done to rectify the issue.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: mid back stifness
July 06, 2018, 03:30:50 pm
I’d bet it’s the drIve after the climb.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#3 Re: mid back stifness
July 06, 2018, 04:46:09 pm
I’d bet it’s the drIve after the climb.

i doubt it's my case, as i sleep there in between two consecutive climbing days.

(long drives sometimes give me back issues but rather lumbar than thoracic.)

one could argue it's sleeping in my van, but i am very used to it and never noticed this specific kind of back pain on other van-based climbing trips.

i have a strong feeling it's muscular, as in: something in that area works "more than usual" on this route and reacts by getting stiff overnight.

What i'm a bit lost about, is what exactly gets overworked, is it more a case of under-training the area or bad technique/beta, can i mitigate the issue on site (evening/morning routine) and or prevent it at home (conditioning).

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: mid back stifness
July 06, 2018, 08:19:30 pm
I've been struggling on and off with this for a long time. Went to see a physio for a while, which didn't amount to much but a chiropractor sorted it, saying it was stiffness where the costovertebral ligaments attach the ribs to the thoracic vertebrae (if I remember rightly).

I never really got a definitive answer as to what caused it. A few sessions of being tied into knots and back cracking seemed to sort it out for a few months, until today co-indecently, after a walk in/out carrying a heavy load of pads and gear it's aching like hell. 

Interesting to hear of other climbers suffering with the same issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal