UKBouldering.com

Hiangles vs synthetic version... Opinions (Read 3821 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
I used to love the old, blue hiangles but not really tired the new ones. Are they basically the same? My main issue with the old version was the build quality. Had this been fixed?
Also, are the new synthetic ones worth the extra cash? Is there much difference to the normal model?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Both new versions (predominantly grey and hi vis safety footwear) are significantly softer than the old blue ones. It feels like a combo of a softer midsole and thinner rubber.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Hmm mm.... That's interesting! Dragon soft, or ram soft? Has the same thickness sole so surprised to hear they are so much shorter than the old ones!

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
Think the new version fit similar out of the box but soften up relatively quickly in comparison to the old. The blues were also pretty odour free but within a month or two both sets I've had of the synthetic already began to stink. On the whole I think the general feel of the shoe is poorer once theyve 'worn in'. Wish Five Ten would stop rehashing decent shoes which, reading the pages here, seem to have a pretty clear consensus of being significantly superior. The Dragon to name but one example.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Has the same thickness sole so surprised to hear they are so much shorter than the old ones!

Despite what it might say on the website, they don't. I think it also says all they changed with the grey ones is the colour, which also is not true.

monkey boy

• forum hero
I prefer the old blue ones in comparison with the synthetic but I am not sure why. People have said they feel less stiff but I am not sure I agree. I haven't got round to using the grey ones yet as have been using up blue stock. I would stick with the leather as I think the synthetic haven't been popular and so will probably be discontinued next year anyway.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The blues were also pretty odour free but within a month or two both sets I've had of the synthetic already began to stink.

Always going to be the case with leather vs. synthetic.

In a related, but entirely inconsequential, point isn’t it strange that we always refer to non-synthetic climbing shoes as “leather”, when they’re actually suede?  :geek:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:23:14 am by cheque »

galpinos

• forum hero
I used to love the old, blue hiangles but not really tired the new ones. Are they basically the same? My main issue with the old version was the build quality. Had this been fixed?
Also, are the new synthetic ones worth the extra cash? Is there much difference to the normal model?

In contrast to the above, I have only had the 2017 blue and the hideous new ones and really like them both. the hi-vis ones were "stiffer" than the 2017 at the start but have bedded in in a similar manner now. Really good balance of stiffness, downturn, quality heel and comfort. I just wear these and pinks, will be gutted if they discontinue them.

galpinos

• forum hero
In a related, but entirely inconsequential point, isn’t it strange that we always refer to non-synthetic climbing shoes as “leather”, when they’re actually suede?  :geek:

Suede is leather, admittedly slightly different skin normally to full grain leather but still animal skin.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The blues were also pretty odour free but within a month or two both sets I've had of the synthetic already began to stink.

Always going to be the case with leather vs. synthetic.

In a related, but entirely inconsequential point, isn’t it strange that we always refer to non-synthetic climbing shoes as “leather”, when they’re actually suede?  :geek:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Sorry, screwed up trying to reply- I realise suede’s a type of leather, I just can’t think of another situation where it’s universally referred to as leather. Certainly if you showed up to the pub wearing a Roger Daltrey- style jacket and said “check out my leather jacket” your mates would say (amongst other things) “that’s a suede jacket”.  ;)

galpinos

• forum hero
Sorry, screwed up trying to reply- I realise suede’s a type of leather, I just can’t think of another situation where it’s universally referred to as leather. Certainly if you showed up to the pub wearing a Roger Daltrey- style jacket and said “check out my leather jacket” your mates would say (amongst other things) “that’s a suede jacket”.  ;)

As the only item I own made of suede would be rockboots, that has never been an issue!

yetix

• forum abuser
Only tried the original high angels (low volume version) and found them to be great but as discussed to wear quickly.

My housemate complained about the low build quality of the newer blue model, but again said as a shoe they were great. Is this build quality something to expect with the new dragons...?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal