UKBouldering.com

Kitchen knives (Read 10638 times)

kelvin

• forum hero
#25 Re: Kitchen knives
June 22, 2018, 11:33:55 am
however

I can only speak for myself but I've never had to sharpen a knife, just true the edge up on a steel.
I recently gave the new girlfriend one of my German knives I'd had maybe 8 years and in only a couple of months, it's kaput. IMO. She uses the same sharpener as yours.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#26 Re: Kitchen knives
June 22, 2018, 11:55:09 am
Will, have a look at how much metal that sharpener grinds off each time you use it. They do give you a good edge but seem to need use frequently and therefore end up grinding away a lot of the blade. A steel doesn’t take much practice to hone a blade, and as Kelvin said, bar any major mistreatment this is all you need.

Been looking at investing in a whetstone for maintaining a Helle knife I got for outdoor utility stuff/fending off fierce wild animals/trying to look like Ray Mears. There seems to be a large array of options of grain, can anyone recommend what I should be looking for?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Kitchen knives
June 22, 2018, 05:02:59 pm
I use the one I bought for my chisels, it has two sides coarse and smooth, works great.

I've also got a kitchen devils roller like the above. Doesn't really work imho.

I'm pleased we've got the thread back to a point where Jim can wade in though.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Kitchen knives
June 22, 2018, 06:16:37 pm

Until I spoil it again with references to a nanny, a second home in the south of france and something about Waitrose.

andy popp

• forum hero
#29 Re: Kitchen knives
June 22, 2018, 06:50:22 pm
and something about Waitrose.

Booths, surely?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Kitchen knives
June 29, 2018, 07:23:54 am

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#32 Re: Kitchen knives
June 29, 2018, 07:17:08 pm
Been looking at investing in a whetstone for maintaining a Helle knife I got for outdoor utility stuff/fending off fierce wild animals/trying to look like Ray Mears. There seems to be a large array of options of grain, can anyone recommend what I should be looking for?

Simply put the bigger the number the finer the grain and the more time you have to spend to get a decent edge so don't make the numbers too big unless you are immortal, have so much money you no longer need to work or have a man servant who needs to be kept occupied.  ;) Would suggest either a 400 \ 1000 if you treat said knife like an iron bar (and it has the edge of similar standard) or more likely a 1000 / 4000 if you look after it. The hard part will be keeping the angle consistent every sweep but as a rule go flatter on the coarse side and steepen the angle for the fine side.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#33 Re: Kitchen knives
June 30, 2018, 04:35:33 pm
Still not meant for the dishwasher though. That Japanese shop looks incredible.

I bought a lovely general cooks knife in carbon steel (6" blade) from http://kap-kam.com/index_en.html, absolutely gorgeous! Not for everyday use so haven't had to worry about sharpening yet - it makes short work of carving a roast chicken.

I will almost certainly be returning to Tokyo more than once in the next couple of years so would be happy to pick knives up for people on my next trip!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal