UKBouldering.com

Slovenia advice please, family holiday. (Read 2273 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Thinking of heading to Slovenia last week of July, first week of August with the kids (10 and 12).

Background - went there pre kids in May I think and had a fantastic 2 weeks - Soca rafting, summit of Triglav, gorge walks, waterfalls, canyoning trip, Bled, Lake Bohinj,  stayed at Laze and did the tourist caving trips and the Idrija mercury mines. So we're quite familiar with whats available. 

Want to go back again with kids but realise it might be peak season. 

Same happened last year with Corsica, been before out of season for our honeymoon, but went last summer avec les enfants and holiday was marred by everywhere being totally jam packed and over crowded. Not to mention too hot (35 at night in a tent is not my cup of tea).

Question is, is it going to be the same for Slovenia, and if so, where to avoid and are there some slightly quieter areas to get away from the hoards.

Tick lists would be Via Ferrata (done a few in France with the kids). Rafting, canyoning. Potentially a night in a refugio on Triglav somewhere. (expect these are fully booked all the time).
Maybe some tourist caves in Postojna, and maybe a guided 'wild' trip if they're easy enough to organise.

Will be camping.

Thinking of flying to Venice and driving in, as it seems easier/cheaper than flying to Ljubljana/Trieste.

Any advice welcomed.

tomtom

• forum hero
Cheap flights to Poula (Croatia) too - which is also supposed to be a cool spot.

SamT

• forum hero
Yeah - spotted that.. From Liverpool which is not too far, but I'm thinking Venice might give us dolomite options too.

Hmm, options options. 

My primary concern is just how busy the soca valley will be in July/August.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I know it's no help, but the blessing of living in Scotland is school breaking up 2 weeks earlier in the summer

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
We dived into Slovenia from Budapest after getting scorched out a few year ago. It was a long summer heat wave and yet we could climb in the shade in Slovenia fine. It was busy but not crazy - certainly don't remember feeling oppressed by the crowds. I think it was early-mid July.

Love the place.

SamT

• forum hero
Cheers guys,

Love the place.

Yes, got really fond memories of the place from our last visit.  Going to take the plunge and book flights tonight.  Sounds like the SE quarter of the country is very very quiet, so can always scarper down that way if the upper Soca turns out to be a bit manic.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Do they have national holiday weeks like the rest of Europe maybe? if so, can they be avoided?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal