UKBouldering.com

Odenwald bouldering (Read 2916 times)

crazy climbing pete

• regular
    • ChedelaBloc
Odenwald bouldering
May 18, 2018, 02:48:23 pm
anyone ever climbed in Odenwald near Mannheim? Any boulder problems recommendations? Hoping to head there next month, want some 7a-7b to throw myself at if possible

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Odenwald bouldering
April 11, 2019, 10:30:51 am
Just been to stay with friends who live 15 minutes from Felsenmeer and as such, I did a bit of climbing there!

I was impressed! A tad spread out but a really nice mix of styles and grades erring on the lowball side in the main. Great rock and a beautiful setting, I am psyched to return...

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Odenwald bouldering
April 11, 2019, 12:12:42 pm
The Odenwald area is quite big, but the amount of bouldering is relatively small. The guidebook is overly optimistic about height and quality of the problems. Quite a few area’s have problems completely covered in moss. There is some good bouldering nevertheless. Fortunately the grain of the rock is relatively fine for granite, and I feel it is easier to find good temps/humidity than with coarse grained granite.

Felsenmeer and Steinau are the most interesting places to visit. IMO the best problems are in the 6C-7B range. Have tried/done a few and liked the following problems:

Felsenmeer: Bundesschranzler 6C, Amras 7A+/C+, Pilz 6C, Hutmantle 6C, Winterkante 6C+, Winterweg 7A+, Pipeline 6C/7B, Planet Perfecto 7A+, Oppermaniac 6C, Reickecke Fuchs variations (7A/B-ish). ODW bachbett 7A/B+, Roulanger 7A+, ODW dreamtime 7A+, Spot 6B+.
Lutzelbach: Pure Lust 7B,Slopomotion 6C.
Steinau: all routes on the Gagernstein (Classic 7A is a beauty!) and the Masters Edge boulder. Some highballs on the Hahlkopffelsen look really good, but haven’t tried them.

Have fun!

tc

• junky
#3 Re: Odenwald bouldering
April 15, 2019, 10:25:41 pm
I'll be in the Taunus in May and was hoping to get across to Felsenmeer. Can you point me in the direction of a guidebook/ topo?

HaeMeS

• menacing presence

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#5 Re: Odenwald bouldering
April 16, 2019, 08:25:47 am
Just been chatting over email with Sascha who sells the guide. He reckoned on 34 Euros for the guide posted to the uk. I emailed him on odw-saschajung@gmx.de

Alternatively I believe you can purchase it in person from any of the local climbing walls  :)

tc

• junky
#6 Re: Odenwald bouldering
April 19, 2019, 10:59:37 am
Vielen Dank, Jungs!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal