UKBouldering.com

BMC pays rope access contractor for re-equipping work. (Read 29768 times)

kelvin

• forum hero
Exactly my logic Matt. Responsibility fell on the community when the gear was a bunch of random relics placed on lead, often in extremis, and intended primarily for the individual and for that moment. A sport climb is a thing expressly made to be used by others.

I can't agree with that, some sports climbs are created for others but not all. I have a Swiss mate who bolts for himself. He buys everything himself and does all the legwork so that he can climb where he wants. He's completely open and honest about that. It's got nothing to do with giving to the climbing community. He sees a piece a rock he likes and he gets bolting, a new crag pretty much every year. Non of it goes into guidebooks.

As Dan said, non of this is black and white.

Thanks for the responses, like Pete, I'll not be convinced it's not a mistake but only time will tell and I'm hoping the BMC guessed right. I really am.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
That’s not the point.
It can be reasonably anticipated that if you leave the equipment there, someone else will use it.
If you grade it, publicly record it etc; then you cement that into the publc domain.
Does you friend mark his routes as private? Etc etc etc.

kelvin

• forum hero

So trad climbs that go into BMC guides are excused but sports climbs that are purposefully not publicised aren't? That's some twisted logic to fit a certain viewpoint
I understand the point your trying to make but saying sport climbs are expressly made to be used by others completely ignores the fact that many bolters bolt a line primarily so that they can climb it themselves. Adam Ondra would be sat twiddling his thumbs otherwise.

I'm not suggesting there's no difference between sport and trad but it's not as black and white as you suggest, especially when guidebooks are involved.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You're suggesting Ondra doesn't foresee his routes being repeated? He's not that good.

Or your mate? He's told you about them, and presumably he has a belayer?

Just because the scale is grey in the middle doesn't mean it isn't black and white at either end - and the BMC is right at the extreme end, as has been discussed.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I think this has all finished now. It would be interesting to see some info along the lines of:

When did work start
When did work complete
How many routes reequipped
How many routes decommissioned
How many man hours
Cost? If this is allowed to be shared.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Cheers. I'd be interested to know how long the job took in weeks. Seems like a job well done.
The fact that it took over one man day per route is telling. Props to all those crag custodians out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal