UKBouldering.com

Arthur, Brimham (Read 1739 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Arthur, Brimham
April 16, 2018, 12:11:51 pm
Has anyone done this? How did you top out? Did you go direct above the flake and scrabble through the scrittle, or do you do a cheeky step right and top out as for the 1st pitch of George II (the easy line of flakes on the right of the block)?

Stabbsy

• junky
#1 Re: Arthur, Brimham
April 16, 2018, 01:46:11 pm
I have topped it out, but wasn't entirely happy with what I did. I'm pretty sure that I went from the sloper rail  (where you can scuttle off left, which is what I normally do!) up into the left hand undercut, then matched it and went into the right hand undercut (which is where George comes in) and topped out from there. Definitely topped out on the front face, not sure if that's what George does? I can remember (quite vividly!) that we only had one very small Beal pad which looked even smaller while battling with the ledge scrittle.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Arthur, Brimham
April 16, 2018, 02:16:37 pm
When you talk about a left hand undercut and a right hand undercut, I can't really think what you mean. There's one main flake which you'd describe as an undercut. A little right of that (and it really is only a little right) there are some fat sidepull flakes which you use on George (George still climbs the front of the block, but very much on the right hand side of it). If you put your right hand in the undercut flake you can stretch up with your left hand and start battling the scrittle. If you use the fat sidepull flakes you can go up easily to a good incut on top and topping out is a doddle.

It sounds very much like you topped out "properly" - staying slightly left and not using the fat sidepulls. If you had just climbed the bottom of Arthur, which is about as desperate as 6C+ comes, then the easy right hand finish wouldn't have felt hard at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal