UKBouldering.com

Bouldering research questionnaire.. please take part! (Read 2716 times)

taliadrew

I am recruiting people (especially females, i don't know where they're all hiding!?) who;

- take part in indoor bouldering (to any level) and;

- have a job (part-time, full-time, shift-work, placement etc.). 

If you fit this criteria and can spare 7 minutes of your time, I would really appreciate you taking part in my research, as approved by the University of Surrey Psychology Department.

Please also share and spread the word to others!

The link for the questionnaire is: https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3IC51v08FXbYWRT

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Hi I did the survey up to the question
The following questions relate to bouldering and the bouldering environment. Please indicate on the 7-point scale the extent to which the given statement describes your experience of bouldering.

I left at that point  because the possible answers about the setting would be radically different for indoor vs outdoor bouldering but the question did not give that info

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Hi I did the survey up to the question
The following questions relate to bouldering and the bouldering environment. Please indicate on the 7-point scale the extent to which the given statement describes your experience of bouldering.

I left at that point  because the possible answers about the setting would be radically different for indoor vs outdoor bouldering but the question did not give that info

The survey is about indoor bouldering

taliadrew

Hi, really sorry if it wasn't clear before but the research is looking specifically at indoor bouldering.  I appreciate that the questions about whether the environment fascinates you etc are a little strangely worded, but it is asking about the indoor bouldering gym as the environment!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Yeah I read that it was about indoor bouldering and then read a bunch of questions about finding the setting exciting, curiosity arousing etc. which to me were more suited to eliciting responses to an outdoor context (I regard indoor as a poor second best). There’s a  lack of precision in the wording at that point as ‘bouldering’ can refer to very different settings.

I noticed the weekly working hours stopped at 41+. Obviously you will organise the survey to capture the data you want, but quite a lot of people work 50+ hrs and beyond so it seemed a low limit to set.

taliadrew

Yes i can understand how those questions could be better suited to outdoor bouldering, however there is some evidence to suggest that indoor environments can be considered an escape experience/ fascinating when the activities carried out have some restorative nature (e.g., stress-relief, social engagement etc...) that's part of what i'd like to look at.

In relation to the working hours comment, your input is very interesting, and within the UK (where i am based), the average for full-time work is 37.5 hours a week.  The reason i then did 41+ is because, based on this average i did not anticipate that people would be working considerably longer hours.  This is something I will look into however and is a limitation of my current research which i have acknowledged and will reflect on :) Thank you for your feedback!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Hi Talia we’re both UK based. I’d hazard that 37.5 if accurate is a reflection of a lot of under employment ie a lot of people work fewer hours than they would like, alongside a lot of others eg people like myself who work in schools or the health service who typically work over 50 hours.

submaximal gains

• player
within the UK (where i am based), the average for full-time work is 37.5 hours a week. 

If the median hours worked per week is 37.5 hours, by definition half of all people included work more than 37.5 hours a week.

Murph

• forum abuser
Fascinating. 37.5 is the average for full time workers, which the ons define as 30+ for most sectors but 25+ for education. But the distribution of those hours, I’m not sure - I’ve had a look for it using my phone but can’t find much. The (mean?) average is reported all over, but the distribution isn’t. Also, whether it’s weighted for annual leave and such...I don’t have time to look into it.

Agree though, if any of the averages are 37.5 then there’s likely a fair few who are working more than 41.

I’ve not looked at the survey but weekly working hours is a textbook example of a continuous variable. It shouldn’t have categorical responses like 41+.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal