UKBouldering.com

Improving climbers' behaviour outdoors etc (Read 34466 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ok. In carbon - from what I’ve just looked up/calced. 

400km a week in an economical diesel (100g/km) = 2000kg a year (roughly)

One return transatlantic flight is about 1000kg per person.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I think CS has done more than a few trips to Scotland too, although they tend to be longer term, rather than for a weekend.

It's nothing compared to air travel though is it:

Colorado,
Sydney,
Turku,
Meteora,

for my massive hoof print this year alone. Last year was an even larger crater. How many weeks of driving at 2-300 miles a week do you need to do to catch up?

#humblebrag

Honnold posted this carbon offset site recently, if you fancy a bit of plenary indulgence to cleanse your soul! https://mossy.earth/pages/membership
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:25:19 am by teestub »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

#humblebrag

Yep. I can't remember the last time i drove more than an hour from my house to climb. Family holidays and other activities though.....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
In the broader context of this topic, UKC are running a comp at the moment to win a little portable boombox which is marketed as something to be used at the crag or otherwise in the hills. How do some people not understand that going into a public, shared, space and dominating it with your own preference is unacceptably rude? Particularly a space which some people value for its own characteristics and ambience, which is entirely dub free.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Yes I saw that, what a joke.

tomtom

• forum hero
Yes I saw that, what a joke.

Yes - shows what $$$$ rules at UKC....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
In the broader context of this topic, UKC are running a comp at the moment to win a little portable boombox which is marketed as something to be used at the crag or otherwise in the hills. How do some people not understand that going into a public, shared, space and dominating it with your own preference is unacceptably rude? Particularly a space which some people value for its own characteristics and ambience, which is entirely dub free.

I'm going to win this, follow you around, and leave it next to your bag playing some Streisand whilst you're struggling up E3's at Almscliff.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
How do some people not understand that going into a public, shared, space and dominating it with your own preference is unacceptably rude?

Have to say a find all the opprobrium over this incredibly overweening. Have you really never listened to music away from a plug socket? I have - on a big wall, when camping, on a beach, in a bothy etc etc. I'd never use one 'at the crag' but otherwise it's quite easy to check if you are bothering anyone, you just check if there's anyone in earshot. If there is, ask them and even if they say yes try to choose something that won't offend. Choose well, and I've found a bit of John Martyn in a remote bothy can even thaw out a curmudgeonly scotsman who'd hoped to have the place to himself...

Pretending it is always unacceptable and that such a competition is totally unacceptable is just virtue signalling isn't it?

Pretending everyone is so stupid that we must pretend we all adhere to such blanket rules is counter-productive, imho. No rules, promote responsible behaviour, guide those who stray in the right direction.

While we're on the subject, I'm in the market for a new one if anyone has any recommendations? Not bothered about bluetooth but compact, decent battery and usb charge is a must.

Paul B

• forum hero
Ok. In carbon - from what I’ve just looked up/calced. 

400km a week in an economical diesel (100g/km) = 2000kg a year (roughly)

One return transatlantic flight is about 1000kg per person.

I think you've missed my point (#humbelbrag #cyberw*nker aside); a holiday in Scotland, rather than flying (anywhere) is surely preferable:

Sheffield > Torridon = 470 miles / 756km; or 1500km return. At 100g/km, that's 150kg (or 15% of your quoted transatlantic flight). Of course sitting at home trying to hold my breath might be the best solution.

My point is/was that it's really easy to focus on the micro impacts that bother us (unsightly chalk, erosion to boulder problems / paths) and ignore the much bigger picture.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
At least Paul you're not in the same camp as many of us here, as [citation needed] I read somewhere that if you really care about the environment, CO2 emissions etc then the one thing you should absolutely not do is have a child, let alone more than one.

Eddies

• forum hero
How do some people not understand that going into a public, shared, space and dominating it with your own preference is unacceptably rude?

Have to say a find all the opprobrium over this incredibly overweening. Have you really never listened to music away from a plug socket? I have - on a big wall, when camping, on a beach, in a bothy etc etc. I'd never use one 'at the crag' but otherwise it's quite easy to check if you are bothering anyone, you just check if there's anyone in earshot. If there is, ask them and even if they say yes try to choose something that won't offend. Choose well, and I've found a bit of John Martyn in a remote bothy can even thaw out a curmudgeonly scotsman who'd hoped to have the place to himself...

Pretending it is always unacceptable and that such a competition is totally unacceptable is just virtue signalling isn't it?

Pretending everyone is so stupid that we must pretend we all adhere to such blanket rules is counter-productive, imho. No rules, promote responsible behaviour, guide those who stray in the right direction.

While we're on the subject, I'm in the market for a new one if anyone has any recommendations? Not bothered about bluetooth but compact, decent battery and usb charge is a must.

This is my bothy speaker of choice  :punk:
https://soundboks.com/product/soundboks-2/

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I read somewhere that if you really care about the environment, CO2 emissions etc then the one thing you should absolutely not do is have a child, let alone more than one.
Dogs (and pets in general) surely, there's the impact of producing food to feed them then they become gas machines themselves. I read somewhere that in the US they contribute 1/3 the amount that cars do.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
At least Paul you're not in the same camp as many of us here, as [citation needed] I read somewhere that if you really care about the environment, CO2 emissions etc then the one thing you should absolutely not do is have a child, let alone more than one.

Quite! It dwarfs any other life choices you make substantially, and that’s without considering the potential multiplicatory effects into the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children

I read that dogs were similar to cars in CO2 output: small dog=running a Nissan Micra, Big Dog=running an Escalade.

erm, sam

• forum hero
One thing about the environmental impact of having kids vs having a dog or running a car is that there is an outside chance that your kid might have the idea or work on the team that contributes something significant to the future of humanity, which with all due respect, your dog is never going to do..

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
One thing about the environmental impact of having kids vs having a dog or running a car is that there is an outside chance that your kid might have the idea or work on the team that contributes something significant to the future of humanity, which with all due respect, your dog is never going to do..

A weak arguement unfortunately, as the exact opposite is obviously also equally likely (i.e. they contribute something significantly bad). For example they could be the genius scientist that works out how to extract all the remaining oil from every reservoir.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Or they could be the self promoting climber who encourages loads of people to fly half way round the globe to touch a rock.

Paul B

• forum hero

I was impressed with Gus' choice although I'm not sure it plays anything other than techno.

tomtom

• forum hero

I was impressed with Gus' choice although I'm not sure it plays anything other than techno.

I’ve a spare one (small) that I found at the playground earlier in the year if you want it. (Left by the partying yoofs the night before)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Re: kids, the flipside of the argument is that raising children is social labour that is necessary for society to function (who do you think is going to look after you when you're frail/pay your pension if not your/someone else's kids). Obviously we could do with having fewer kids, but if you're losing sleep over this at an individual level you may want to ask whether you are overly woke and seek help accordingly.

https://twitter.com/TraceyFans/status/1009806379593367552?s=19

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
It’s good when you make an argument (who will look after us?) then refute it in the next sentence (ongoing population growth currently 1%/83million extra people per year).

It’s also cute that you think we will be getting pensions!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:47:58 pm by teestub »

dunnyg

• forum hero
There isn't population growth due to babies in the UK. Any growth is due to immigration.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
It’s good when you make an arguement (who will look after us?) then refute it in the next sentence (ongoing population growth currently 1%/83million extra people per year).

I did state that we could do with having fewer kids, but replacement of the population is necessary for society to function.
Obviously where the growth is happening is as important as the magnitude. UK population growth is fairly modest on a world scale with most of the population increase happening in the global south. This isn't a problem at the moment but if the UK as a whole decides to stop having kids then we're going to need to invent a device that can wipe your wizened old ringpiece from Senegal.

Huw, the ONS reports that for 2016, net migration was 250K. 178K more births than deaths in the same year.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I think what happens currently is that if there’s shortages of employees in a particular field (doctors for example) this requirement is met by overseas labour coming to the country. So in your delightfully phrased example, the person from Senegal will be suitably financially encouraged to come to the UK to take care of my rear end. As such the location of population growth is not critical, and as you noted in your following paragraph, net increase in the UK last year was 0.8% so not much to worried about just yet.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I think what happens currently is that if there’s shortages of employees in a particular field (doctors for example) this requirement is met by overseas labour coming to the country. So in your delightfully phrased example, the person from Senegal will be suitably financially encouraged to come to the UK to take care of my rear end. As such the location of population growth is not critical, and as you noted in your following paragraph, net increase in the UK last year was 0.8% so not much to worried about just yet.

Fuck me, I hope they're not going to fly over here (I'm being facetious now).

dunnyg

• forum hero
My bad. I'm miss remembering a map. Was interesting, ill see if I can dig it out. Either way population growth is low as in the UK relatively, as pointed out in the UK. It gets a bit wanky when you start saying don't have any kids, unless you can enforce it on a population it isn't going to happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal