UKBouldering.com

Intermittent Fasting (Read 14776 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#25 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 07:25:27 am
I don’t think this made it’s way into this discussion, but MIT reported on their study in May 18, shortly after the last comment on this thread, and it’s quite encouraging:

http://news.mit.edu/2018/fasting-boosts-stem-cells-regenerative-capacity-0503

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#26 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 08:02:19 am
How about the people who posted on this thread originally?

When I read about this last year I thought “That sounds like a bad idea, it’s going to be very hard to stick to and if you do manage to stick with it you’ve basically developed an eating disorder”.

Thirteen months on do the people who were going to try it still do it? Do you weigh more, less or the same as you did back then?

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 08:24:35 am
I was under the impression that the wider consensus was that fasting wasn’t good for you?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#28 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 08:46:41 am
I do still do it most weekdays. When I run (2-3 times a week) I generally avoid eating at all until afterwards, which sometimes is as late as 5-5.30pm. I do most of my work between 9-3pm, and definitely think I feel more awake / alert / productive with nothing more than coffee and water in the morning. If I stop to eat at lunchtime, I find it quite hard to get back to work on something unless it’s particularly fun.

In terms of weight loss, I think it does help, but even though you’re eating in a shorter window it’s obvs still quite easy to overdo it. Earlier on last year, I was quite restrictive with my evening meal, and consistently lost 1-1.5kg per week. This year I think I’m training harder, and consequently am eating more substantial / protein-rich meals, and weight loss is more gradual. But probably more sensible / sustainable, etc.

Personally I now see it more as a productivity / time thing, with weight loss (and possible health) benefits.

Edit - I weigh approx 20kg less than I did when I started.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#29 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:28:34 am
Have you tried intermittent fisting?

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:43:34 am

Like once a day instead of three times?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#31 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:43:56 am
I was under the impression that the wider consensus was that fisting wasn’t good for you?

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:45:13 am
I was under the impression that the wider consensus was that fisting wasn’t good for you?

:D

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#33 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:48:29 am
I roughly follow it when cutting for a trip (no breakfast, lunch at 1200, dinner 1900 - 2000). It works but most likely more down to calorie deficit

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#34 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:53:24 am
It works but most likely more down to calorie deficit

How else could it work?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#35 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:59:01 am
Actually, this study wasn’t about weight loss and it doesn’t advocate (or indicate?) fasting as a frequent activity, as the diet protocols do.
The study links fasting for 24hrs to “rebooting” stem cell action/health and, sort of, resetting the body/metabolism.

I think that is distinct from a weekly fast?

I took it to be a once or twice a year thing.?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#36 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 12:18:03 pm
I was under the impression that IF produced some of the health benefits of longer fasts whilst being less antisocial / effecting athletic performance.

If you have seen the Dave Mac interview with the Gresh re his ketogenic diet (something along the lines of “feeling well weapon”) then that’s a slightly more Jason Bournesque description of my own experience...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#37 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 12:20:08 pm

I’m sure Tommy has the latest data on this.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#38 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 01:00:05 pm
Double for Tommy given the cracks he furtles around in!!

Smith42

• regular
#39 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 01:04:44 pm
I tried the 5:2 diet in the past (where on two days of the week you restrict your intake to 500 calories) and seemed to loose weight and still have enough energy for decent work out.  (i'd do a finger board session but not three hour endurance session)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#40 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 02:39:58 pm

Depends if you are giving or receiving..

slab_happy

• forum hero
#41 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 03:04:45 pm
There've been a lot of anecdotal reports that many women don't do well with standard intermittent fasting -- lots of reports of "I felt great for the first few months and then my metabolism and hormones fell apart."

In some animal models you get really different hormonal responses to fasting in male and female animals, so this may well be true of humans too.

Anyway, thought I'd mention that in case there are other female people around here.

For a much less dramatic form of "fasting", Dr Satchin Panda's doing some really interesting work on "time-restricted eating" (and how eating interacts with circadian rhythms and all sorts of fun stuff) -- it looks like just restricting eating to a 12-hour window in the day (or 10 if you wanna be ambitious), can potentially get you some some serious health benefits. Worth Googling if anyone's interested.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#42 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 03:42:30 pm
Very interested in the topic of time restricted eating. I got into the habit of not eating breakfast until 10am recently. Today I ran instead of eating breakfast and then ate lunch at the normal time. I'm too fat to run every day (shin splints) but I am tempted to try putting off eating breakfast as long as possible each day and seeing what this does. I suspect I will need to stop evening snacking to see any real benefits...

Dr Panda is pushing an app that supports time limited eating which I am tempted to try...

https://mycircadianclock.org/

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#43 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 04:50:37 pm
I suspect I will need to stop evening snacking to see any real benefits...

It’s a crazy idea, but it just might work.  ;)

user deactivated

#44 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 04:57:11 pm
Intermittent fasting seems to be similar to restricting and binging. You could add ‘healthy enema’s’ into the equation to give you the gamut. Restrict, binge then purge. Alternatively some regular approach to a balanced diet with exercise has been shown to offer health gains? Flexibility is also important like eating for pleasure or with friends.

user deactivated

#45 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 04:58:37 pm
Did Dr. Panda write the thesis on confirmation bias? Or was that Dave Mac?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#46 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 05:26:40 pm
I've not read the thread so apologies if this has been said already. On the topic of exercise in the morning having fasted overnight/no breakfast.  In theory this should help eat into fat stores (depending on the intensity etc) as your glucose/glycogen stores will be lower.  High intensity training, whether you eat or not, it likely to increase your metabolism throughout the day and aid weight loss in any event.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:33:33 pm by sheavi »

Murph

• forum abuser
#47 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 09:54:39 pm
How about the people who posted on this thread originally?

When I read about this last year I thought “That sounds like a bad idea, it’s going to be very hard to stick to and if you do manage to stick with it you’ve basically developed an eating disorder”.

Thirteen months on do the people who were going to try it still do it? Do you weigh more, less or the same as you did back then?

Hey mike I was and remain a big fan of IF. If I commit to it then it’s a fairly easy way to lose or maintain. It doesn’t get in the way of life. Its basically just skipping breakfast and is easy to stick to. 

As to whether it caused an eating disorder, I don’t know. I don’t think it has. I have been a bit funny about food since I lost c20kgs a few years ago and am more vigilant than someone who perhaps struggles to put weight on (whatever that means), or who doesn’t care that they are fat, but no more so now than before. I guess it depends on how you define an ED tho - if skipping meals is an ED then count me in.

My weight has fluctuated across the year as I have prioritised getting it down more or less, but as my current “heavy” weight is below my previous “goal” weight and I can hang out round here very easily I don’t think it’s so bad. Sent my long term project in August weighing a few kilos more than what I had been by end February which perhaps just shows I didn’t need to drop as much as I thought. At the weight I got to I was certainly leaner than needed for my goals and skills.

Bit of a ramble but there it is that’s my experience.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#48 Re: Intermittent Fasting
February 28, 2019, 11:39:30 pm

I guess it depends on how you define an ED tho - if skipping meals is an ED then count me in.

This sounds rather as though you are trivialising eating disorders Murph. A real eating disorder is potentially life threatening mental illness, isolation and misery. Skipping breakfast is just that.

Murph

• forum abuser
#49 Re: Intermittent Fasting
March 01, 2019, 12:26:08 pm
Fair point Toby.

It was meant to trivialise skipping meals rather than the ED. Admit I didn’t make the point very well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal