UKBouldering.com

'Power Station' - Has the world gone mad? (Read 27190 times)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Conversed with a friend about this and we wondered if this was targeted for the gym (not climbing gyms) market. It's stand-alone unit that could be easily added to a gym. Even at that price it'd probably be the cheapest piece of kit in a gym.

And with climbing in the olympics now...

I remember a similar thread about the cost of the free standing moonboard. that seems to have been successful.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I'm totally unsurprised by the price. My better half saw the ads before they announced the price and asked me if we should get one, as a christmas gift to ourselves (our landlord is not allowing us to mount a small wall on the balcony, I got a very threatening letter after I installed a single bolt). After a back-of-the-envelope calculation I said that it will probably cost around 1500-2000 euros. Looks like I was right.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The same Dave Mac who once said something like "all you need is a 20 mm edge / doorframe" to train. Gobsmacking.

To be fair he did also say that you were fucked if you didn't live next door to a good wall or have a 2 acre garage.

Teaboy

• forum hero
Eee, London!

36chambers

• forum hero
reminds me somewhat of that Neil Gresham rockfit thing

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
if anyone has bought one of these expensive training boards and is now feeling a bit ashamed about not building their own, I can come round and give the whole thing a distressed DIY look for less than 30% of the original cost. I can also provide fake receipts from timber/hardware suppliers   

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Jesus, book sales must have slowed down.

Danny

• junky
The same Dave Mac who once said something like "all you need is a 20 mm edge / doorframe" to train. Gobsmacking.

To be fair he did also say that you were fucked if you didn't live next door to a good wall or have a 2 acre garage.

I thought I was fucked in exactly this way...but I finally found a local board in the deepest South West. Built by a Polish dark horse, probably for half the price of this thing.

https://www.facebook.com/vortexclimbingwall/

Wood FT

• forum hero
That's a great find

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Mats included with the substation. And some very high quality carpet.

For that price it would need to be woven from virgin pubes

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I built an entire Bouldering centre and only spent £6000 on wood.
Just added 15m^2 of roof and 3D features and spent ~£500, including paint, UV paint, Tnuts and a shit load of metal fittings, hangers and brackets.
So...
 :jaw:
Edit:
Actually, thinking about it, £100 of that went per day on screws coffee ffs.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I built an entire Bouldering centre and only spent £6000 on wood.
Just added 15m^2 of roof and 3D features and spent ~£500, including paint, UV paint, Tnuts and a shit load of metal fittings, hangers and brackets.
So...
 :jaw:
Edit:
Actually, thinking about it, £100 of that went per day on screws coffee ffs.

God no.
It was £100 on screws, some old pallets I found behind Lidls and the rest went on coffee...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Seriously, I did a quick and dirty tally-up of my training room.
Excluding matting (by far the most expensive part).
Two boards (45* and variable), Campus board, Peg board, 2xBM2000, TCA finger board, 10x2.4mtr traversing wall, weights, wall bars, Eliptical trainer, rowing machine, bike and sundry other stuff (not including holds); comes in around £5000.
The wood for all that = 20x ply (8’x4’ 18mm) @ £36 ea (inc vat), framing joists ~£400 all in, bolts fittings etc @ £200ish all in.
£1320.
Or there or thereabouts.

36chambers

• forum hero

I just spent the whole video watching how much it wobbles.

I suppose that targets those stabilising muscles. 

Ged

• junky
That really is gobsmacking.  Be interesting to see if they make any money.  And for something so wobbly!  It's a bizarre video to use as it seems to mainly show Dave just doing chin ups on a campus rung edge.  Hardly a game changer from the basic chin ups on a door frame

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I wonder how much money he got offered to endorse such a pile of... wood.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Looks easier for the short. :jab:

Paul B

• forum hero
Anyone looking at one of these should get in touch with Probes. Both myself and Moose had freestanding boards made for significantly less money. In fact, I've got a Moon Saturn and smaller pad with an Organic pad + briefcase pad as the matting and including all of those I don't think I'd get near the cost of a Powerstation.

iain

• forum abuser
The amazing thing is people will spend the money.

Quote from: Nibile link=topic=28533.msg560255#msg560255
date=1511953386
I wonder how much money he got offered to endorse such a pile of... wood.
Possibly not purely business, it's made by the same guy MacLeod talks about here

Doylo

• forum hero
I wonder if it wobbles like that with weak people on it too?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Of couurse it does, and even more than that. Weakness just makes everything worse.
 ;D

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Seriously, I did a quick and dirty tally-up of my training room.
Excluding matting (by far the most expensive part).
Two boards (45* and variable), Campus board, Peg board, 2xBM2000, TCA finger board, 10x2.4mtr traversing wall, weights, wall bars, Eliptical trainer, rowing machine, bike and sundry other stuff (not including holds); comes in around £5000.
The wood for all that = 20x ply (8’x4’ 18mm) @ £36 ea (inc vat), framing joists ~£400 all in, bolts fittings etc @ £200ish all in.
£1320.
Or there or thereabouts.

Ah, but can you provide customers with "Grid Reference of where the wood was sustainable sourced" (I admit that I find the bad grammar in that quote from the website more offensive than the price of the fingerboard).

petejh

• forum hero
Wickes, in Paignton? They always get more stock.  :shrug:

It's quite possible D.M. wasn't privy to the pricing of these contraptions when he agreed to do that promo vid. Still.. not his finest endorsement is it  :shit:

Steve R

• forum abuser
Feel compelled to defend this thing a little.  Consider the brief: design a freestanding product that'll fit in an average room in a house, feasible for the practically totally incompetent to erect, easy to ship, affordable for anyone on a decent salary, at minimal cost to the planet....   Well, it appears to tick all those boxes so, to echo gme, good luck to them and good on them for having a go.  Good on highlander too if he gets some cash out of endorsing something harmless like this.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal