UKBouldering.com

'Power Station' - Has the world gone mad? (Read 27193 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
'Power Station' - Has the world gone mad?
November 28, 2017, 10:18:24 am
https://powerstationtraining.com/collections/build-your-power-station/Step-1---Power-Station-and-Transformer-Hold-Packs

A mere £1500 for an A-frame to mount a fingerboard on, and a steal at £120 for 3 campus rungs stuck together on top of each other...  :o
I don't really know why I'm posting this, I was just so surprised that I felt like I had to write it down somewhere!

andy_e

• forum hero
Even better is the "Substation" - £995 for a piece of wood with some holes drilled in it.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
They have brought the prices down, the bit of ply with some t nuts was originally 1150. 

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Christ. I wonder if they've actually sold any?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
My friend, the fact that you felt compelled to share your pain and surprise only goes to show that - despite your love for long routes and kneebars - you are still mentally sane.
This is the modern world's climbing: all show, no go.
It's a shame that Dave MacLeod is their testimonial.
The climbing population is more and more considered nothing but a marketing target, in every sense. This marvellous and cheap apparatus only goes hand in hand with the increasing need of appearance. Noone wants to work - hard or at all - for anything anymore, from building the simplest frame to mount a fingerboard on, to having the most sophisticated videos showing the ultimate sequence for every problem or route in the world. Everything must come cheap and easy. The problem isn't that such abominations are conceived and produced, the problem is that they get sold.
That's one of the many reasons I never leave my board.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Makes me feel much better about what I spent building my wall!

abarro81

• forum hero
despite your love for long routes and kneebars - you are still mentally sane.

:lol: Good to know all the lactic acid going to my head hasn't completely addled my mind

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Nibs - Wadded

This thing is truly terrible, I'd love to know why anyone would buy it. If you can afford it then you can afford a house with a garage to build your own. It's also being endorsed by a bloke who has one of the biggest home walls I've ever seen...

I also like how it's shown in the picture set up in a front room, like the missus would be happy with that...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Makes me feel much better about what I spent building my wall!

Same here - I got Paul-Crusher to build and install me a similarly tiny wall, which I have at great expense festooned with ready-made wood holds.  Despite loving the result I have always felt slightly ashamed of my laziness and prodigality.  If I was a "real" climber, I would have made my own board, and whittled holds from timber found on scrap heaps or during wholesome woodland rambles.  I now feel like a model of industrious frugality.

tim palmer

• forum abuser

turnipturned

• forum abuser
https://powerstationtraining.com/collections/build-your-power-station/Step-1---Power-Station-and-Transformer-Hold-Packs

A mere £1500 for an A-frame to mount a fingerboard on, and a steal at £120 for 3 campus rungs stuck together on top of each other...  :o
I don't really know why I'm posting this, I was just so surprised that I felt like I had to write it down somewhere!

Don't worry Barrows, there is a finance options available!

Durbs

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Can someone wad Nibs for me, please? I'm on my phone.

T_B

• forum hero

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
 :jaw: :jaw: I built my 35, 50 board and holds for less than a third of just the frame!

gme

• forum hero
Looks like a classic mistake of too many people in the supply chain all adding to the cost (the holds look like they are bought from Core) and the initial frame is over designed for its basic purpose to allow you to possibly add everything to it, making the basic freestanding frame expensive.

You could very easily make the basic frame for £200.00 materials and 4 hours work with minimal tooling in a similar quality, but wouldn't support all of the other stuff there system offers.

Its good to see people having a go at this stuff, its hard to come up with new ideas and concepts never mind selling them. Good luck to them. really easy to slag off things, much harder to get up and try.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Looks like a classic mistake of too many people in the supply chain all adding to the cost (the holds look like they are bought from Core)
I am not sure this is the case, the add ons like the core holds and beastmakers are not the seriously over priced bit, it is the bits made by dream climbing walls in house which are expensive

gme

• forum hero
I do agree that the 8x4 sheet of ply with tnuts and a couple of hinges and some foam matting seems a bit OTT at £995.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
It's the price of the fingerboard that I find most amazing.  I can (almost) see how the price of the full board set-up might arise from design / development costs and the level of finishing / testing required to guarantee product safety (especially if you want to throw words like "premium" and "prestige" around).  But the finger board looks a very simple affair and costs near double the price of a beastmaker.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I built an entire Bouldering centre and only spent £6000 on wood.
Just added 15m^2 of roof and 3D features and spent ~£500, including paint, UV paint, Tnuts and a shit load of metal fittings, hangers and brackets.

So...

:jaw:
Edit:

Actually, thinking about it, £100 of that went on screws ffs.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
I do agree that the 8x4 sheet of ply with tnuts and a couple of hinges and some foam matting seems a bit OTT at £995.
From what I can see the 995 is only for the piece of ply, (the matting is £400 which seems relatively reasonably as it has a nice looking cover)

gme

• forum hero
Mats included with the substation. And some very high quality carpet.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Ah so it does, I stand corrected, bargain!

Edit:  this matting is not the 400 pound mat though is it?  Just some thin cheapo stuff
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:59:58 pm by tim palmer »

Danny

• junky
The same Dave Mac who once said something like "all you need is a 20 mm edge / doorframe" to train. Gobsmacking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal