UKBouldering.com

Karma Police (Read 4284 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Karma Police
November 14, 2017, 06:21:06 pm
So I was thinking about the whole lack of karma info problem folks are having since the recent forum change.

Like many others, I used to head straight for the karma change description page to see what had been happening, and do miss having that facility. So, a potential solution is as follows:

Have a topic dedicated to karma change, and make it a sticky (am I right in thinking this keeps it at the top of the page?) so if you felt someone needed wadding or puntering, you do so then nip over to the karma topic and put down what you did and why. You could even paste a link to the topic in which the karma change took place.

Basically, it’s a manual version of what used to be automated. But it would appear in the recent unread posts section fairly regularly, and would act as a way of seeing karma change until a better solution is found?

I’m just spitballing ideas I guess. So feel free to tell me I’m stupid or a genius (via wad or punter button no doubt!)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: Karma Police
November 14, 2017, 08:23:55 pm
Nice one.

I can realistically manage without it (must admit my visits to the site have been dwindling for a few years even prior to software upgrade shenanigans) just I noticed a lot of people were missing it so figured my idea might have been of some use.

Fair play to you and the other IO’s for reacting to the people though  :great:

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 07:38:05 am

Sadly Mike this reaction has also included banning one long time user for posting feedback in one of the forum threads - and one moderator is, er, now no longer a moderator.

I suspect my fate will be similar for posting this - which for me would be a shame - but I thought people ought to know the above.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 08:25:50 am

Sadly Mike this reaction has also included banning one long time user for posting feedback in one of the forum threads - and one moderator is, er, now no longer a moderator.

I suspect my fate will be similar for posting this - which for me would be a shame - but I thought people ought to know the above.

Really?
Well, this is getting silly; isn’t it.

I must have missed the insults etc. I hadn’t seen much beyond moderate criticism. The odd bit of re-iteration from those who clearly hadn’t trawled through earlier comments, but hardly personal attacks, surely?
Time for a clear statement of position and intention from the IO’s?
Rather than people having to trawl through several pages of comments, questions, answers and (apparently) insults?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 08:54:53 am
I thought people ought to know the above.

In which case you should report it accurately...

banning one long time user for posting feedback in one of the forum threads

If its who I think you are talking about they were last logged in to the UKB forum this morning and my understanding is that they are not banned from UKB, they have been banned from a related Farcebook group.

- and one moderator is, er, now no longer a moderator.

Is this because of their feedback or because they were no longer active in that role?  How much moderation have they done in the last year?  If they've not been active in that role then personally I see no harm in reconfiguring users administration levels during the forum revamp (this has happened to me on sub-Reddits I was promoted to moderate on but since I wasn't doing anything I was demoted, no big deal).  Only those involved will know those details though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:07:58 am by slackline »

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 09:06:17 am
I thought people ought to know the above.

In which case you should report it accurately...

banning one long time user for posting feedback in one of the forum threads

If its who I think you are talking about they were last logged in to the UKB forum this morning and as such they are not banned from UKB, they have been banned from a related Farcebook group.

- and one moderator is, er, now no longer a moderator.

Is this because of their feedback or because they were no longer active in that role?  How much moderation have they done in the last year?  If they've not been active in that role then personally I see no harm in reconfiguring users administration levels during the forum revamp (this has happened to me on sub-Reddits I was promoted to moderate on but since I wasn't doing anything I was demoted, no big deal).  Only those involved will know those details though.

Sighs.

The user was banned from here (and as their username no longer appears in the Members list so I suspect thats still the case) and a screen shot of their attempt to log in to UKB (saying they could not - for criticising) was posted on Sharks FB time line in a question to Shark about why this happened.

I know you don't go on FB Slackers - so make sure you get the full picture before sounding off please.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 09:54:26 am
Can we leave it there please for the time being.

I am in work today and will comment more extensively with an update later this week. The main issue of the site going down frequently appears to have been averted which was the reason for making changes. Other issues such as the karma feature are, as habrich says being worked on.

The solutions may take time. In the meantime it would be helpful to show forebearance.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Karma Police
November 15, 2017, 10:05:17 am

I know you don't go on FB Slackers - so make sure you get the full picture before sounding off please.

You didn't read the "If its who I think you are talking about" opener then?

Fucks sake, people are getting their knickers in a twist and saying the end is nigh about a forum, get some perspective, most people read and post here to kill time whilst working or between attempts at problems at the crag.

I've said it already these updates are being done by someone in their spare time, its probably not their forte and not something they are hugely familiar with so cut them some slack.  The site is more stable since the update, I'm sure if it had been left as it was there would be as much bitching about that.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  habrich has already written that the issue of (mobile) themes is being worked on and below indicated the Karma comments is also being worked on.  The key here is patience which I'm surprised at the lack of in some people. :no:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: Karma Police
November 16, 2017, 10:24:51 am
On reflection I don't think I have much more to say other than what has been stated above ie we are not only aware of the issues but more importantly they are being worked on, hopefully resolved and then implemented in due course.

If you have more to say about the functionality of the site or the way it is managed or experience further problems you want to highlight  please email me at simon@simonleeconsulting.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal