UKBouldering.com

Chapel Stile (Read 3859 times)

Andrew Whincup

Chapel Stile
September 16, 2004, 11:50:00 pm
I hate for my first post here to be negative. However.

I'm an archaeologist in my day job and one of my colleages has come to me with a request.

Chapel Stile (aka Copt Howe) in Langdale (NY3140 0582) has some nationally important rock art carved into the side of it. The cup and ring marks and swirls date to about 5000 years ago. They apparently also make an interesting boulder problem. Accorsing to him the use of the art as holds is beginning to damage the artwork.

Is there any chance we can not use this particular boulder in future?

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showpic&pid=3600

Cheers

Andy

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#1 Chapel Stile
September 16, 2004, 11:53:37 pm
i thought the lowdown with that is don't the use the top end but the back and side r sweet as. i was there about a month ago and some cock had been tryin that part of the boulder as there was chalk all over the dimples.
 maybe someone shud but a small notice up just explainin the situation and asking for people to avoid climbing on that paticular face of the boulder as there are no markings anywhere else on it as far as i know.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#2 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 08:03:49 am
I too was under the impression that it was ok to use this boulder, that side has got some pretty easy stuff on it anyway and I don't thin people tend to use it that much from what I have seen in the past.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 08:14:52 am
Wow - never seen that before.

A notice saying to avoid that face sounds like it might be a good idea? You're always going to get some idiots who ignore that sort of thing, but most people I know wouldn't have a problem with just going somewhere else.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 08:31:27 am
Hmmmmm okay.

Firstly I'm not sure that using the markings as holds will enlarge them in any way. This mountain rock is pretty tough stuff, and I've never seen any evidence of it getting worn away by modern climbing shoes (might get polished by nailed boots on classic easy climbs but that's not here). However I do agree that it's visually intrusive.

Secondly I agree with the others that politely asking to avoid this section of the boulders would be best. The Langdale boulders are very good from what I've done there and it would be a pity to try to ban it all. The section you've highlighted is probably the least useful section so I don't think most people would miss it. The face around to the left however contains a lot of good warm-ups, and of course the boulder to the right is pure class.

I think a compromise would work.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 08:41:00 am
Boot rubber isn't going to help in the long run even if use won't directly trash the holds.

dave

#6 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:14:00 am
as a wild radical suggestion i think Andrew Whincup should contact the BMC access person about this.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:25:44 am
Quote from: "dave"
as a wild radical suggestion i think Andrew Whincup should contact the BMC access person about this.

Hmmmmm, remember Woodwell?

dave

#8 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:29:27 am
yeah but i think its a different person - les "ivy chopper" ainsworth is the lancs rep innit? in yo face.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:30:07 am
I think a voluntary ban on useing that side of the boulder would work very well if other such situations are anything to go by eg Ringed Ouzel nests on Stanage, Ravens Nest on Millstone and Peregrines nest on Malham, all of which were respected by climbers. The vast majority of climbers tend to abide by sensible access agreements, where there is a good cause. The ones who don't (a tiny minority) are the ones who would ignore a total ban anyway.

Nigel

• forum hero
#10 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:36:35 am
AFAIK the boulders are on private land so really its up to the farmer before anyone talks too much about bans etc.

Andrew, I would agree that education is what is required here. That face of the boulder is barely used anyway as it is so short, but if you want a total moratorium on using it then a small discrete notice should suffice.

Although I don't think its his domain, please don't involve Les Ainsworth-less.

Greg C

• forum hero
#11 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:41:52 am
Ainsworth :bash: Chapman

Graeme

• menacing presence
#12 Chapel Stile
September 17, 2004, 09:43:02 am
So what Happened at Woodwell?

Bubba

• Global Moderator