UKBouldering.com

Bouldering pad reviews (Read 37542 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 09:30:39 pm
A bar towel: Accrington - around since day 1, never going to end up progressing upwards but equally it ain't going away soon. Small but loyal fanbase.

Bradders

• forum hero
#51 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 09:31:13 pm
I spotted one of the new Flashed pads in the Depot this morning; gave it a quick squeeze and I would be utterly amazed if they have any sort of longevity. I appreciate that's not much of a product test but, sometimes you just know.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#52 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 10:14:24 pm
I got back into bouldering 3 years ago after a long sport climbing hiatus (timing of a pandemic entirely coincidental!), and bought an Organic Full Pad (92 x 122 x 10 cm) and an Occun Dominator (100 x 132 x 14.5 cm) at roughly the same time, for roughly equal prices.  The foam on the Organic has stayed a lot firmer but although the Dominator is a more spongy, it's still the pad I put under the top-out of any boulder - the area and depth are just more reassuring - those extra cm's seem pretty significant when wobbling! 

When the walk-in is long and I can only take one pad, I usually take the Dominator - despite it's relatively crap carrying straps (the slight softness does have some advantages though - as I can shove a fan / tripod inside it - the Organic is too hard to accept such intrusions).  The Organic foam is still really robust and the carrying straps are great, but in retrospect I think their full pad is best used as a "second pad".  If it's your only pad, a bigger model is better - and if you can't afford to spend nearly £400 on a proper big pad, £235 ish on a Dominator, which a "large small pad", is a decent compromise.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#53 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 11:27:23 pm

A certain N. Walean climber with a phd in all things ocean, tides and currents left a few pads in a safe stash on Anglesey. Obv they weren't safe and disappeared in a big sea.

Great story. I did actually find one washed up in a bay on the coast not far from me (was it Flashed that had the manga style woman on them with a sword?) It was completely waterlogged, and I dragged it up as far as i could onto the shore (I had baby daughter with me) and left it to dry. I went back a week later and it was gone, either reclaimed (by waves or wind) or hopefully someone found it and put it use, but I never saw her again. (The woman on the pad, not my daughter).

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#54 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 06:27:41 am
very timely thread (for me at least) - going to finally escape HK after 3-years without travel and make a trip back to see the folks in Oct (we currently still get locked up in quarantine for a week after going abroad - but the rumours are that will have hopefully vanished by Nov)

Will spend a week of this up in the Peak (24-31 Oct if anyone is about and fancies a session or a beer) so need to grab myself a new pad for UK use - currently only have a first gen Metolius at my folks (assuming they've not binned it (or my brother didn't steal it) at some point in the last 20-years...). Was thinking Moon Warrior plus Organic Slider as a nice simple combo but open to other suggestions if people think there's a similarly priced alternative to that's better than the Warrior. Thoughts on Snap Grand Stamina? Looks similar but without the benefit of clean straps

P.S. i have a bunch of Organic here in HK (full, half, briefcase, blubber and slider) and for single pad (plus Slider) options, think i actually preferred the Moon for it's bigger, thicker landing surface.   

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#55 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 08:49:04 am
You’re welcome to borrow my pads for the week. I’ll be abroad then.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#56 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 09:19:08 am
You’re welcome to borrow my pads for the week. I’ll be abroad then.

super kind offer - but am anticipating coming back to the UK a bit more frequent in the coming years as parents are knocking on a bit so it'll be pretty handy to have a pad stashed for these visits

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#57 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 10:05:38 am
I spotted one of the new Flashed pads in the Depot this morning; gave it a quick squeeze and I would be utterly amazed if they have any sort of longevity. I appreciate that's not much of a product test but, sometimes you just know.

I'll keep saving then. I figure with my current usage (or lack of) I would get a pretty hefty lifespan out of an organic. My simple pad is doing great after 3yrs or so.

After years of lugging around 3 regular pads, 2 of which are at the end of their life, a bigger pad is pretty tempting!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#58 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 10:14:25 am
I think Bradders probably gives his pads more hammer than most on here, especially if they still live under your board Bradders? Have to say I've only noticed the softness of pads when they're completely ancient. Even then I would still happily land on them for everything except highball stuff. Obviously ymmv!

chrisbrooke

• regular
    • My youtube shuffling
#59 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 10:36:06 am
In reply to Moose:
I really rate the Dominator too. I've had one for a few years and the foam is still pretty good. The thickness is reassuring and the two opening orientations are really handy too. I use mine in 'traverse mode' quite a lot and I love having that option.

My other two are: ancient Alpkit taco pad. My first pad. I just carry it to fill in gaps/build platforms these days.

Moon Saturn. My main pad. Reassuringly massive, can tuck gear (warmup board, tripod, water bottle etc) in the fold if needed. The carry system is decent enough, even when the other two pads are strapped to it as well. I would say this has gone soft quicker than expected, although it does get a lot of use. Mostly in the middle landing circle, and, unsurprisingly, along the 'fold zone' as I'm not always scrupulous about storing it open. In two minds as to replace the foam eventually at £160, or keep it as another 'filler' pad and try a different large pad. Got to say I'd be very reluctant to pay anywhere near £400 for a damn bouldering pad though.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#60 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 10:36:25 am
For another view on the Alpkit Project, i've had mine for a few years and it's been used every time i've gone out on rock, typically once per week, and it's also lived under my board, which is used twice per week. It hasn't been particularly well looked after and is starting to soften a bit now but I'm still happy falling from 6m+ onto just this pad.

chrisbrooke

• regular
    • My youtube shuffling
#61 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 10:40:08 am
For another view on the Alpkit Project, i've had mine for a few years and it's been used every time i've gone out on rock, typically once per week, and it's also lived under my board, which is used twice per week. It hasn't been particularly well looked after and is starting to soften a bit now but I'm still happy falling from 6m+ onto just this pad.

You must have younger knees than me   :)

Bradders

• forum hero
#62 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 11:52:45 am
I think Bradders probably gives his pads more hammer than most on here, especially if they still live under your board Bradders? Have to say I've only noticed the softness of pads when they're completely ancient. Even then I would still happily land on them for everything except highball stuff. Obviously ymmv!

What, cause I fall off all the time? Thanks mate  :lol:

Disclaimer; Liam is very strong and extremely brave....

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#63 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 05, 2022, 01:31:31 pm
I had a big organic for years and it travelled loads lasted a really long time and was excellent to use. It was a bit of a bigger to lug around though so at the moment I’m mainly getting out and about with a couple of the organic pads ( full and simple ) which strap together to carry really well and have been absolutely fine for the majority of stuff.

Gives you more surface area for low stuff that travels and you can stack them for a softer landing on bigger stuff if needed.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#64 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 12, 2023, 09:32:51 am
I'll be plumbing some money into one of the big Snap pads in the near future.

Would be curious to hear some experience about the Grand Wrap vs Grand Guts. Part of me is very attracted by the foldability of the Guts but also not psyched about the idea of nailing the fold point from 5m+ on highballs.

Also curious about the difference in storage of shoes etc because I imagine the taco design is better for that?

Cheers  :w00t:

Danny

• junky
#65 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 12, 2023, 10:11:02 am

For yet another view on the Aplkit Project, I've had mine for ~ 18 months or so. Apart from being massive, everything else about it is a bit pants. One of the shoulder straps is starting to pull away from the pad. Stability for such a high sitting pad would really benefit from a chest strap, which it doesn't have. The top layer of foam (in two parts) is constantly sliding across the hinge. The compression straps are, inexplicably, very short, making it difficult to stuff anything inside.   

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#66 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 12, 2023, 10:23:12 am

Would be curious to hear some experience about the Grand Wrap vs Grand Guts. Part of me is very attracted by the foldability of the Guts but also not psyched about the idea of nailing the fold point from 5m+ on highballs.

Also curious about the difference in storage of shoes etc because I imagine the taco design is better for that?

Cheers  :w00t:

The Grand Guts is nice to land on and I've never had an issue with the fold point being a weakness on any folding pad including this one. I've repeatedly fell from well over 5m onto just the Snap pad and it was fine, although it should be said that I'm generally pretty comfortable falling from height onto any pad (spending most of my childhood and teenage years on a BMX / skateboard = a black belt in falling). I've only had it for a few months so can't say much about durability but it seems well made.

One thing I've found annoying is that it sometimes makes a squeaking noise on the walk-in when I strap another pad to it. This is due to it being slightly floppy as a result of the air system and the material it's made from. I usually carry my tripod in the pad but have always worn a backpack on my chest for everything else.

Dac

• player
#67 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 12, 2023, 11:16:05 am
I have a Snap Wrap, so may as well add my add my 2 pence worth:

Durability/ longevity - mine is now about 4 1/2 years old and is holding up well, no doubt it's a little softer than when new, but I'll happily use it for highballs. There is some superficial wear on the corners, but they're nowhere near to wearing through. All the straps fasten with velcro, despite some initial reservations they continue to all work well. Otherwise no issues.

Carrying - I usually carry a small bag and supplimentary pad inside, with another pad on the back if needed. No issues with carrying, they are quite heavy pads, but it's worth it for the durability and padding provided.

Folding - mines the taco style -  no middle fold, putting aside the obvious differences for storage the lack of a fold can effect usage: They are quite stiff pads and very determined to lie flat, as such folding them up can be quite a tussle, I usually have to fold it in half while it's laid on the ground and then sit or kneel on the pad in order to fasten the straps. If you are doing a circuit of problems or moving between boulders frequently then repeatedly wrestling it shut to move it soon becomes quite an annoyance (it's size, weight and desire to be flat mean carrying it unfolded for anything more than a short distance is hard work).

Hope that's of some use.

Duma

• forum hero
#68 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 12, 2023, 11:23:46 am

I have an (original) Gwrap and a mate has the Gguts - I love mine but tbh when I replace it Ill probably get a guts, purely for more conveinent storage. the hinge never felt like a worry to me when using his. I've moved the foam cubes in mine around a few times over the years and I think they're a great idea for increasing the life of taco pads - avoids issue of foam deteriorating along the fold.

thunderbeest

• regular
#69 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 18, 2023, 05:17:14 pm
If you're ever in Albarracin or come across Mushroom pads I'd recommend checking them out. Last time I checked their 140x100 was 230 eur. I got mine 4 years now and it still looks and feels as new. It's been stashed out during the summer and been used frequently. I would get another one if it wasn't for the shipping prices atm. Also they are almost as pretty as the organic ones.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#70 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
January 18, 2023, 06:56:05 pm
I thought we’d decided stashing pads was the new evil??  :worms: :smart:

remus

• forum hero
#71 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 27, 2023, 09:48:37 pm
Anyone tried the new core pads? The other options are either the new dominator with the waist strap or a moon pad.

Got a lot of love for my current dominator but feel obliged to explore the options now pads cost such a wedge.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#72 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 28, 2023, 08:39:06 am
Anyone tried the new core pads? The other options are either the new dominator with the waist strap or a moon pad.

Got a lot of love for my current dominator but feel obliged to explore the options now pads cost such a wedge.

I’ve had the moon Saturn for around a year and a half and it’s already trashed and lost all its sturdyness. I’d recommend something other than moon I think. Gonna be retiring mine to the board and getting something more sturdy like Organic

Plattsy

• forum hero
#73 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 28, 2023, 09:03:37 am

If your dominator's cover is still in decent nick and it's the foam that's gone. You can buy replacement foam direct from Ocun. Just send them a message and they'll organise to send it via there UK distributor. That was a while back so I'm unsure if it's still the case.

remus

• forum hero
#74 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 28, 2023, 09:07:14 am

I’ve had the moon Saturn for around a year and a half and it’s already trashed and lost all its sturdyness. I’d recommend something other than moon I think. Gonna be retiring mine to the board and getting something more sturdy like Organic

You've probably had 500 sessions in that time though!  ;D But, noted.

Good knowledge on the Ocun foam replacement. The outer has seen better days but I'd be tempted by some fresh foam and keeping it as a second pad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal