the shizzle > equipment

Bouldering pad reviews

<< < (2/16) > >>

dave:
I've just bought a Moon Warrior.

My non-negotiables are having the floor-side on the inside when folded, which rules out loads. Also needs to be 1m wide on the small side to fit into car boot. The Moon seemed to be the best all round option at the moment for this. It's also got a decent carrying system, and the fold-over carpet thing is a genuinely good design. Also a grab-handle on the long side is a good move.

The only other options I had in mind were the Snap with the aircells, but having carted the Moon around font for a week at no point did I wish that my pad weighed and extra 3kg and cost and extra ton. Plus, as Chris says the velcro thing on their straps seems an obvious design flaw, esp given they are heavy pads even when heavy.

webbo:

--- Quote from: shark on November 05, 2017, 08:00:54 pm ---I've had a Moon Saturn for over 18 months. Rate it. Foam beginning to give but no issues with stitching. The new model has a waist belt which would be good. Tend to bungee cord other mats to it rather than put them inside. Taken a highish horizontal fall onto it recently with little damage which was encouraging

--- End quote ---
When you say you bungee cord your mats together, how and what length cords.

shark:
Quite thick heavy duty ones about 18-24in I'd guess. Didn't buy them specially - they were just knocking around the house. Use just two - top and bottom around both mats. Couldn't be simpler. Sometimes feel like I'm wrestling a bear to get the hooks to interlock. I treat it as the warm down

Duma:
I've got one of the original Snap Wraps. Best thing I've ever landed on. Heavy and bulky even when folded. Want to store flat really as thick taco (though when the middle has started to feel soft I've moved the foam blocks around which worked really well. Foam still going strong after 3 years+ Never had any issue with straps coming loose, and like how quick and easy it is to clear them out the way of landing zone. That said I think Moon have the best solution for this.
Other half has a Petzl Cirros - not been out with it that much but initial impressions - big, not too heavy, comfy harness, zip closure/harness cover works well and is great for stuffing all sorts of shit into. does take a minute or so to do so a bit of a pain to lug around between boulders, and not yet sure about foam longevity.
I've also got an S7 pad from ~ 2003 which is completely usable still  :2thumbsup:

erm, sam:

--- Quote ---I'm also not convinced that Moon pads have the polythene to protect the foam from UK weather as the review claims. More likely it makes getting the foam into the pad easier. On the downside this can lead to a 'slipping' effect of the foam against the outer shell in some cases where the landing isn't perfectly flat.

--- End quote ---

You can just rip this out without having to take all the foam out and bingo, more secure landings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version