UKBouldering.com

Bouldering pad reviews (Read 36891 times)

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#25 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 03:34:46 pm
Anyone had an alpkit project before ? looks fucking massive not sure about quality though

I have it and it is indeed colossal. It's nice once you've got it to the crag but can be a hassle getting it there. The backpack style straps are ok but the pad sits quite high on your back, so there's a good few feet of it sticking up above your head and it does a great job of acting like a parachute - I'm sure I've borderline levitated on Ilkely moor so be careful on exposed edges. It also doesn't play nicely strapping to other pads without extra straps or cord.

It's great to land on though, i've fallen from over head height straight onto my back and been absolutely fine. It feels noticeably safer than other pads i've used. Quality wise I've had no complaints over my 18 months of ownership and I haven't particularly looked after it.

csl

• junky
#26 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 03:39:35 pm
is that the "simple"?

They have both the simple and the full - the additional coupon code is SAVE10 which makes the Simple cost £174 or the Full (with the extra carry strap and cover) £185.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 03:53:19 pm
Bugger. Temptation, thy name is new pads.

Bradders

• forum hero
#28 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 04:53:38 pm
Anyone had an alpkit project before ? looks fucking massive not sure about quality though

I have the Alpkit Project. I bought mine in November last year and have used it at least twice a week, every week (including during lockdown as I use it for my board).

I'd recommend the version I have in a heartbeat. I got it for £200 when Alpkit were having a site wide sale, so it was unbeatable value for money wise and their customer service was brilliant (they didn't have any in stock, but I emailed them asking if they'd make one for me, and they did!).

The foam is great and I really like that it has two closed cell layers. It makes it great to land on on uneven surfaces. So far it's holding up well and I haven't noticed it soften that much. It's also very thick, which again makes it very comfy to land on regardless of height.

It's also absolutely flipping massive. It genuinely just won't fit in most cars. It's bigger than any other pad on the market, which is great as long as you can get it to the crag; I've often been able to go out with just the Project where previously I'd have taken two other pads. I wouldn't say it's any heavier than others though.

The carry system is good and comfortable, although I did recently break it and had to sew the straps back on (I'd been strapping two other pads, plus fan, etc. to it, so not that surprising).

HOWEVER....I understand that since I bought mine they've completely changed the carry system. UKC reviewed it recently and were scathing, rightly so. I can only guess that they needed to cut costs, as it sounds like the new version is a total pain to lug around (apparently the straps just fall off at times and are only secured with velcro centrally, which comes off as soon as you try to carry anything else in it). Have a look at the UKC review.

Hope that helps.

Six months on the foam is still good. Never have any worries landing on it and I think the sandwich construction with two layers of closed cell foam either side of an open cell layer helps with this. Had it for 18 months or so now so it's doing well considering it was only £200!

Yes it's not quite as well constructed as an Organic but just as good as Moon and with some nice features like the included tarp (not sure if they're still doing that). Only question is whether you can get it in your car, it really is flipping huge.

And I also wouldn't buy it if they've still got the terrible carry system on it, as opposed to the decent rucksack style set up that mine has.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 02, 2022, 12:59:32 pm
Anyone had a look at those new pads from Flashed, i.e. the 'Big Squishy'? I was fairly settled on investing in an Organic Big Pad in the near future, but am considering alternatives given the eye watering prices. They look well made and carry system looks good too.

https://rockrun.com/collections/bouldering-mats/products/flashed-big-squishy?variant=42202469335221

Bradders

• forum hero
#30 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 05:27:34 pm
My conclusion with pads is that the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" rings completely true. For years I tried the alternatives (Moon and Alpkit) and initial smug satisfaction at saving money turned to disappointment at having to replace them far earlier than expected. Having finally bitten the bullet and bought an Organic I certainly don't regret it.

Carliios

#31 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 05:52:55 pm
My conclusion with pads is that the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" rings completely true. For years I tried the alternatives (Moon and Alpkit) and initial smug satisfaction at saving money turned to disappointment at having to replace them far earlier than expected. Having finally bitten the bullet and bought an Organic I certainly don't regret it.

Damn, are Moon considered cheaper?   :( I was under the impression they were one of the better ones.

I will say though, to anyone with tears or holes in your pads, take them to alpkit and they’ll repair them for like £15 it’s bloody great service and quick too!

yetix

• forum abuser
#32 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 06:34:06 pm
I have an older moon saturn (I got it 2nd hand in 2017) and a newer model (2020ish) the older has much better foam than the newer (it's been used far more and yet its foam is in much better condition).

+1 for organic been the best, imo worth the extra cost.

I believe alpkit project now has the straps which bradders older model used to have.

Bradders

• forum hero
#33 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 06:49:21 pm
Damn, are Moon considered cheaper?   :( I was under the impression they were one of the better ones.

I will say though, to anyone with tears or holes in your pads, take them to alpkit and they’ll repair them for like £15 it’s bloody great service and quick too!

Well yeah, £292 for the Saturn on Rock and Run versus £418 for the big Organic. Even this new Flashed pad is more expensive than the Moon.

I have two Moon Warriors and they've held up amazingly well over something like 7 years of pretty much constant use, but like Yetix my Saturn is only good for use under my board now.

Agree on Alpkit service though. When I bought my Project pad from them they didn't have it in stock, but had a website sale where it was shown priced at £200. I sent them an email asking if there was anything they could do and they had one made and shipped within a week! For £200! For the biggest pad you can buy! Shame it went soft within the space of a year or so, at which point I finally forked out for the Organic.

Carliios

#34 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 06:52:48 pm
That’s some good knowledge, ta fellers! I will say I’ve had the Saturn for a year and it has started going soft but I’ve mostly been using it as the big boy across smaller pads which seems to add some nice cushioning.

Organic pads look amazing but £500 is too much  to fork out atm  :o
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:57:49 pm by Carliios »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#35 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 06:53:00 pm
I've got a Saturn which was previously Gollums of this parish and its amazing. No idea how I managed without a big pad for so long. The zip has failed though so am going to have to get alpkit to sew it up.

Bradders

• forum hero
#36 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 07:19:34 pm
I believe alpkit project now has the straps which bradders older model used to have.

Meant to say...the history with this is the original Project had a rucksack style system (which mine has), then they replaced it with an extremely basic set of straps, and have now reverted to something in between. To be clear though; they're all rubbish in comparison to the Organic carry system. Not that it matters if you're only carrying it short distances of course.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#37 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 07:41:20 pm
So what is the pads leagues then? Who is premiership big 3, 1st division etc etc

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#38 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 08:18:19 pm
Has anyone had a close look at or used the new core pads?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#39 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 08:59:34 pm
Noticed the Dave Parry had one

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#40 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 10:43:32 pm
Yeah I've got one.
Similar back system to the moon pads with Cores foam which you'd expect to be good.
 I believe they're aiming for top end Organic quality so I wouldn't expect budget price.
No problems with mine as yet, 4 months in with old knees that would turn to dust with a shit pad..
Nice to have a decent Pad option made locally. (Sheff)

Teaboy

• forum hero
#41 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 11:03:58 pm
I just bought a Snap Grand Guts for £300 plus £14 postage which, given the size seems pretty good vfm.  Not sure how it will hold but I was pleasantly surprised how light it felt.

The Franklin pad I have is showing no signs of wear but I expect they are difficult to get hold of!

remus

• forum hero
#42 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 03, 2022, 11:07:51 pm
I rate the ocun dominator, mines had 6 years of pretty heavy use and is still going strong.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#43 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 04:09:11 pm
So what is the pads leagues then? Who is premiership big 3, 1st division etc etc

Organic  = Manchester City - the best, which you’d hope given how much they cost.

Black Diamond = Manchester United - inexplicably popular considering how rubbish they are.

Moon = Chelsea - a contender but are they still as good after recent changes?

Alpkit = Brighton - Good value.

Ocun = West Ham - Also good value, with added Czech.

Psychi = Fulham - A bit rubbish. Supported by Londoners and tourists who don’t know much about football.

Franklin = Blackburn Rovers - Strong in the early 00s. Now disappeared.

Feel free to make further suggestions...

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#44 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 04:24:49 pm
Missing from this list are the new Troll pads which look pretty good, probably like a better quality Alpkit. Someone jump in a give a less biased review (my mate designed them)...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#45 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 04:28:54 pm
The Franklin pad I have is showing no signs of wear but I expect they are difficult to get hold of!

My dropzone was about 10 years old, and showing no signs of damage. I left it in a cave where the sea wouldn't be able to get to it, but underestimated N Sea storms. It's now probably part of Pacific Garbage Patch; I was gutted for a) losing it and b) contribution to marine pollution.   

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#46 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 05:13:06 pm
Snap = Paris Saint-Germain, strong national performer
Grivel = Plucky outsiders, some non professional players
Crash = Dukla Prague (away). Sounds exotic, nobody knows much about them

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#47 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 07:52:22 pm
I left it in a cave where the sea wouldn't be able to get to it, but underestimated N Sea storms. It's now probably part of Pacific Garbage Patch; I was gutted for a) losing it and b) contribution to marine pollution.

A certain N. Walean climber with a phd in all things ocean, tides and currents left a few pads in a safe stash on Anglesey. Obv they weren't safe and disappeared in a big sea. 1 was a DMM pad with his name on it and a few months later we (DMM) had a call from someone in Liverpool saying they had found something swept up on a beach made by DMM and with the name P**e on it. The other was an old Metolius 1 and about 6 months later I was walking out from another Anglsey crag with said climbers wife (said climber was staying longer at the crag to hoover up some remaining new lines) when we came across the outer of the metolius pad but with no foam. We carried it out and left it on his van windscreen. Either Mr Ro**ns is very carless or his phd is actually a fake and he has no idea about tides.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#48 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 08:10:06 pm
Beal- Olympique Marseille, very popular in France, rarely seen elsewhere in Europe.

Troll- Huddersfield Town, history of garish designs. Back as contenders “in and around” the top flight but their real glory days are in the distant past.

Mad Rock- BSC Young Boys, probably quite good but their inexplicably unattractive name puts anyone off finding out.

Petzl- Bayern Munich, euro giants, so consistently successful that it’s easy to forget they’re in the game at all.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#49 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
August 04, 2022, 09:02:10 pm
Missing from this list are the new Troll pads which look pretty good, probably like a better quality Alpkit. Someone jump in a give a less biased review (my mate designed them)...

Look like a decent design, apart from the sewn in shoulder straps maybe, but with those dimensions and that price they're pitching themselves against the normal sized Organic, which takes some beating.

As with all pads (as Bradders testifies) you will only really have a decent answer to how good they are in a few years time!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal