the shizzle > equipment

Bouldering pad reviews

(1/16) > >>

shark:
Comprehensive pad review here:

https://climbinggearreviewsuk.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/ultimate-guide-to-bouldering-crashpads-2018/

Don't know who wrote it but a great write up.  :2thumbsup:

Be good to add any other pad reviews to this thread.

205Chris:
Good link. I'd like to see a long term test of how the foam / construction holds up over time. I personally think (naming no names) that build / foam quality has decreased in recent years as manufacturers look to cut costs.

I'm also not convinced that Moon pads have the polythene to protect the foam from UK weather as the review claims. More likely it makes getting the foam into the pad easier. On the downside this can lead to a 'slipping' effect of the foam against the outer shell in some cases where the landing isn't perfectly flat.

shark:
What are your recommended pick of the pads Chris?

205Chris:
I don't think the perfect pad exists (for me anyway). From what I've owned / used over the past year or so (and I've done a lot of bouldering / falling off this year  ;))

Snap wrap (with their fancy individual cell construction) - great for landing on (probably the best I've used). Bulkier than other pads and with a velcro system for holding the harness straps on which has an annoying habit of coming loose on long walk ins.

Organic pads - bought two when we came to North America. Really impressed with the foam and build quality. The design means that the straps are on the underside of the pad when in use which is fine in perma-dry Bishop but more of an issue in UK mud unless you take a tarp with you. Biggest downside is probably the cost from importing them. 175 dollars for a simple pad in the US v 180 quid at Banana fingers.

Moon Saturn - when you positively, absolutely have to have the biggest landing zone in the place. Massive size makes wrapping other pads inside it easy when you want multiple pads. Think I've sandwiched an extra two inside it before. I like the folding strip which keeps the straps dry and out the way when in use and secures your gear when carrying the pad. My only issue is some of the stitching is starting to give but it has seen some abuse. Pitched off the top of Misericorde onto it with no issues.

Ideal for me would be Moon design with Organic foam / build quality.

shark:
I've had a Moon Saturn for over 18 months. Rate it. Foam beginning to give but no issues with stitching. The new model has a waist belt which would be good. Tend to bungee cord other mats to it rather than put them inside. Taken a highish horizontal fall onto it recently with little damage which was encouraging

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version