UKBouldering.com

Bouldering pad reviews (Read 37409 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 09:45:28 am
Comprehensive pad review here:

https://climbinggearreviewsuk.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/ultimate-guide-to-bouldering-crashpads-2018/

Don't know who wrote it but a great write up.  :2thumbsup:

Be good to add any other pad reviews to this thread.

205Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 04:59:09 pm
Good link. I'd like to see a long term test of how the foam / construction holds up over time. I personally think (naming no names) that build / foam quality has decreased in recent years as manufacturers look to cut costs.

I'm also not convinced that Moon pads have the polythene to protect the foam from UK weather as the review claims. More likely it makes getting the foam into the pad easier. On the downside this can lead to a 'slipping' effect of the foam against the outer shell in some cases where the landing isn't perfectly flat.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 07:24:43 pm
What are your recommended pick of the pads Chris?

205Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 07:47:42 pm
I don't think the perfect pad exists (for me anyway). From what I've owned / used over the past year or so (and I've done a lot of bouldering / falling off this year  ;))

Snap wrap (with their fancy individual cell construction) - great for landing on (probably the best I've used). Bulkier than other pads and with a velcro system for holding the harness straps on which has an annoying habit of coming loose on long walk ins.

Organic pads - bought two when we came to North America. Really impressed with the foam and build quality. The design means that the straps are on the underside of the pad when in use which is fine in perma-dry Bishop but more of an issue in UK mud unless you take a tarp with you. Biggest downside is probably the cost from importing them. 175 dollars for a simple pad in the US v 180 quid at Banana fingers.

Moon Saturn - when you positively, absolutely have to have the biggest landing zone in the place. Massive size makes wrapping other pads inside it easy when you want multiple pads. Think I've sandwiched an extra two inside it before. I like the folding strip which keeps the straps dry and out the way when in use and secures your gear when carrying the pad. My only issue is some of the stitching is starting to give but it has seen some abuse. Pitched off the top of Misericorde onto it with no issues.

Ideal for me would be Moon design with Organic foam / build quality.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 08:00:54 pm
I've had a Moon Saturn for over 18 months. Rate it. Foam beginning to give but no issues with stitching. The new model has a waist belt which would be good. Tend to bungee cord other mats to it rather than put them inside. Taken a highish horizontal fall onto it recently with little damage which was encouraging

dave

#5 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 05, 2017, 09:49:50 pm
I've just bought a Moon Warrior.

My non-negotiables are having the floor-side on the inside when folded, which rules out loads. Also needs to be 1m wide on the small side to fit into car boot. The Moon seemed to be the best all round option at the moment for this. It's also got a decent carrying system, and the fold-over carpet thing is a genuinely good design. Also a grab-handle on the long side is a good move.

The only other options I had in mind were the Snap with the aircells, but having carted the Moon around font for a week at no point did I wish that my pad weighed and extra 3kg and cost and extra ton. Plus, as Chris says the velcro thing on their straps seems an obvious design flaw, esp given they are heavy pads even when heavy.

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 06, 2017, 08:20:53 am
I've had a Moon Saturn for over 18 months. Rate it. Foam beginning to give but no issues with stitching. The new model has a waist belt which would be good. Tend to bungee cord other mats to it rather than put them inside. Taken a highish horizontal fall onto it recently with little damage which was encouraging
When you say you bungee cord your mats together, how and what length cords.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 06, 2017, 08:35:34 am
Quite thick heavy duty ones about 18-24in I'd guess. Didn't buy them specially - they were just knocking around the house. Use just two - top and bottom around both mats. Couldn't be simpler. Sometimes feel like I'm wrestling a bear to get the hooks to interlock. I treat it as the warm down

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 06, 2017, 09:02:37 am
I've got one of the original Snap Wraps. Best thing I've ever landed on. Heavy and bulky even when folded. Want to store flat really as thick taco (though when the middle has started to feel soft I've moved the foam blocks around which worked really well. Foam still going strong after 3 years+ Never had any issue with straps coming loose, and like how quick and easy it is to clear them out the way of landing zone. That said I think Moon have the best solution for this.
Other half has a Petzl Cirros - not been out with it that much but initial impressions - big, not too heavy, comfy harness, zip closure/harness cover works well and is great for stuffing all sorts of shit into. does take a minute or so to do so a bit of a pain to lug around between boulders, and not yet sure about foam longevity.
I've also got an S7 pad from ~ 2003 which is completely usable still  :2thumbsup:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 06, 2017, 09:07:08 am
I'm also not convinced that Moon pads have the polythene to protect the foam from UK weather as the review claims. More likely it makes getting the foam into the pad easier. On the downside this can lead to a 'slipping' effect of the foam against the outer shell in some cases where the landing isn't perfectly flat.

You can just rip this out without having to take all the foam out and bingo, more secure landings.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
November 06, 2017, 09:43:52 am
Organic pads - bought two when we came to North America. Really impressed with the foam and build quality. The design means that the straps are on the underside of the pad when in use which is fine in perma-dry Bishop but more of an issue in UK mud unless you take a tarp with you. Biggest downside is probably the cost from importing them. 175 dollars for a simple pad in the US v 180 quid at Banana fingers.

The wrap around flap on the Organic pad folds back (and can be secured with the buckles) over the shoulder straps for times when it's in use on a wet or muddy landing.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#11 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 28, 2018, 09:17:20 am
any views on the best small pad? Moon Pluto? Anything that will fit inside a medium sized taco pad. (Old franklin one)

Ged

• junky
#12 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 11, 2019, 09:46:43 pm
As someone who suffers from a frequently buggered back from falling off lots, I have nothing but praise for the ocun dominator. Noticeably nice to land on compared to any other pad. Quite light to carry thanks to clever foam system. Only downside is its so thick, it might not be that great next to another pad.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 13, 2019, 11:19:04 am
Agree totally with the above. For some of the probs I'm working on it's a tad too think (yes, bum drag traverses).

Duma

• forum hero
#14 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 13, 2019, 11:28:12 am
Ocun dominators are great. Think my big Snap is slightly better to land on, but it does way a ton in comparison.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 13, 2019, 11:30:26 am
whey?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#16 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
May 13, 2019, 12:11:31 pm
After much consideration, I went with a Snap Wrap (in a fetching burgundy red) a year or more ago and, whilst I don't get out as much of some, it's still seen regular use during that time. Best pad I've ever had. Did have some issues with the carry strap coming undone when I first got it but paying attention when securing it has alleviated this completely.

It is heavy and I have been known to curse it when walking out from somewhere like Talfarach but in terms of  a comfy landing, this is a price I'm more than happy to pay. As others said, storing it flat is a must but I expect to have a good few years use out of it at it's current rate!

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
October 20, 2020, 11:18:37 am
Thinking of getting a BD Drop Zone as a second pad. Have they improved since the late 00s after buying Franklin and turning them shit?

Mullett24k

#18 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 18, 2021, 10:30:27 am
Currently in the market for a moon saturn but the market doesn't seem to exist, anyone familiar with moon restock dates? Seems genuinely impossible to buy one at the moment, especially annoying when looking at old websites saying they were once up for £235.

Bradders

• forum hero
#19 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 18, 2021, 10:44:17 am
Market for pads seems to have gone mental recently. I mean Organic pads have always been expensive, but best part of £400 now for a big pad?! Snap likewise. I imagine the Saturn has sold out quickly purely because it's the only one that's still moderately affordable. Sure I saw them in stock only a couple of weeks ago so you might just have missed the boat.

Mullett24k

#20 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 02:14:41 pm
Anyone had an alpkit project before ? looks fucking massive not sure about quality though

remus

• forum hero
#21 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 02:26:35 pm
Anyone had an alpkit project before ? looks fucking massive not sure about quality though

Im biased as my sister designed them.

They got good reviews initially, but for some inexplicable reason they changed the carrying system from a proper backpack setup to some shitty little straps. Just looking at their website now the pics all have the backpack setup again so maybe they've re-instated it?

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 02:39:25 pm
Regular size organics were c.190-200 at Go-Outdoors a week or so ago....

Suspect with Brexitness the differential between EU and US pads will be less...

csl

• junky
#23 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 02:47:13 pm
Get this Chrome extension and one of the codes on there will save you a further £20. I just got a full pad for £185, thanks for the heads up TomTom!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Bouldering pad reviews
March 19, 2021, 03:03:44 pm
is that the "simple"?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal