UKBouldering.com

Forum software/theme (Read 17783 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Forum software/theme
November 02, 2017, 07:26:21 pm
Fuck the romans. What have they ever done for us?  ;)

Well if that's how it is... *logs off and reaches for facebook/twitter/instagram for his fix of climbing gossip/info/entertainment.*

You're still logged in  ;D

Its almost as if you care.....

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: Forum software/theme
November 02, 2017, 07:38:49 pm
Is this all just a ruse to make sure Dense never wants to come back to ukb?

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#27 Re: Forum software/theme
November 02, 2017, 08:04:17 pm
I rarely post from a computer. I tend to read the forum as a source of news/advise from my phone a lot. I don't think that use of mobiles should be considered lesser than use of desktops. These days people use phones like computers. It's the way of the future.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#28 Re: Forum software/theme
November 03, 2017, 05:03:24 pm
Has anyone else noticed that the unread posts link isn't working properly? I have five threads with new messages on the front page but only four unread on the unread posts page.

:'( :boohoo:

andy_e

• forum hero
#29 Re: Forum software/theme
November 03, 2017, 07:21:22 pm
I've noticed that the unread posts isn't working either, but that's because there have been no unread posts all day because nobody seems to be posting on here already.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#30 Re: Forum software/theme
November 03, 2017, 08:18:40 pm
Aye... the forum "upgrade" hasn't directly affected me much - as I mainly browse via a laptop - but traffic is evidently greatly reduced, I assume due to the lack of a pleasant mobile interface.  The absence of action here is threatening to make me productive at work!  Presumably forum stability is a necessary aim... but the inadvertant result of tumble weeds blowing through the Marie Celeste makes it seem a poor trade.....I leave this from Harry Lime in the Third Man on the perils of stability: 

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

webbo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Forum software/theme
November 03, 2017, 08:37:54 pm
On my last 3 visits the same post in quality bouldering videos keeps showing as a new post.
I only use my tablet on here these days

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#32 Re: Forum software/theme
November 04, 2017, 09:18:31 am
Wow, i hang out elsewhere for a bit and ukb blanco arrives....

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#33 Re: Forum software/theme
November 11, 2017, 08:58:46 am
After a few weeks of the new format I can say that I've lost a lot of interest.
I am a lazy Italian bastard, so I used to check the Karma page first, because I want all the good stuff quick and ready for me. Now that I can't do it anymore I don't feel like scrolling all the threads and posts to see if someone wrote something particularly noteworthy.
It was really a useful feature to have, it pointed you to the really good stuff.
Anyway, just my experience.
Thanks anyway to those who look after the site, I know it must be hard work.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#34 Re: Forum software/theme
November 12, 2017, 09:48:58 pm
I'm struggling a bit with the new ukb too. For me the most important thing about UKB was the sense of belonging,  to being part of a community that supports our weird little hobby and doesn't take the piss....  Let me rephrase that... Doesn't make you feel shit.

Now, without the last post function I can't see where my friends/ POI are posting, without a karma list I can't find something to make me laugh / feel better about the universe. I only have a phone to view on really as I'm too busy at work,  and my decaying laptop is to crap for anything but firing out blogs once in a blue moon. 

I also miss the narcissism of watching the views rise  in the blogpile.  That and the pics all stretch on the mobile view. 

Hopefully this can all be overcome..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#35 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 10:16:11 am
Forum slow this am.

Spent ten minutes typing a reply to Nik's accounts question, error on posting.

The other threads on the forum updates are not giving me an option to reply - never seen this before. Are they locked?

dave

#36 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 10:50:40 am
I've had errors when trying to post too. I'm not gonna sit here wasting time trying more than once, or going and deleting cookies every time.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#37 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 11:30:57 am
Don't care about anything than a mobile theme/mobile ready design. Not having a mobile ready site is like not backing up a big claim with uncut footage, it's not just done anymore, for a reason.

Duma

• forum hero
#38 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 01:12:54 pm
Pretty sure the other threads are locked, who knows why. Another wonderful feature of the new theme is that it doesn't seem to show that a threads locked anywhere [/sarcasm]

Any news on usable mobile theme? :please:

nik at work

• forum hero
#39 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 01:18:28 pm
Thanks for you efforts JB, have a wad.

nik at work

• forum hero
#40 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 01:20:39 pm
Errrrr, how do I wad someone now?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#41 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 01:29:23 pm
or going and deleting cookies every time.

Disable cookies for the site completely, although this may mean you have to enter your login details each time (perhaps depends on browser), but if you leave a tab open on your browser and remain logged in anyway that is not a huge inconvenience, particularly if you use a password manager.

Pretty sure the other threads are locked, who knows why.

My guess...

Admins/overlords are sick of hearing the same thing being repeated when they have already indicated that they have someone working on a solution to mobile CSS/theme (albeit likely for free in their spare time so it might take longer than if someone stumped up cash to pay someone to do it).

Current database/cookie issue aside the forum is being updated, albeit slowly, and is more functional (i.e. it works) than when it was continuely crashing, even if the colours are not to your preference (and a solution has already been suggested for those who can be bothered).  I expect very few current posters have ever stumped up any cash donations to the running costs of the site (i.e. server hosting).  I have in the past when costs were covered that way because I valued the site and resources, since it changed ownership that hasn't been asked for though as some advertising has been utilised to help cover the costs (no idea how much Awesome/BMC/HP/VP chuck into the kitty).  As it is those complaining are doing so about a free service that they pay nothing for.  This is not Farcebook with billions of cash to spend on developers to run and maintain the site across a cloud of servers so should not be held to the same standards and repeating the same message doesn't help move towards achieving it.

dave

#42 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 02:01:23 pm
Clearly I'm not going to log in every single time, that's bollocks, it's not 1997, it's just another hurdle to use the site. Surprise surprise, people won't bother.

Similarly people aren't going to bother install custom forum skins or whatever the solution was supposed to be. It's not a hackers forum, you want to attract users not put them off or make them jump through hoops.

It's not a free service, it's run as business with advertising. There is no "service". The only value of UKB is in users' content. Users, the ones who are now not posting due to various hurdles, are the product.

Again, it's not 1997, there are a multitude of other places online people can discuss bouldering, for free, much easier and with a much better user interface. I'm not saying Twitter or Facebook is the best place for it, but people will just take it there if using UKB becomes too difficult. They are already logged into those sites, they can post from their phones painlessly, they don't have to piss about deleting cookies or trying for ten minutes to make a post. Thems the breaks I'm afraid.

Duma

• forum hero
#43 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 02:05:57 pm
So what if they are sick of hearing the same thing - just maybe it indicates that there's something that needs fixing. Locking the thread with no explanation is hardly a sensible way of dealing with issues. Having someone work on it for free in their spare time is a pretty crappy solution - especially as, if my understanding is correct, there are several off the shelf themes that are mobile friendly. The value of this site is entirely driven by the knowledge and interaction of it's users - if their preferences are ignored/sidelined/marginalised it will die, and rightly so. I'll be frustrated and a bit sad if that happens though. The lack of a mobile theme is a big fuck up, whatever habrich thinks.

To put the onus on users to have to delete cookies, login everytime, leave a tab open, write their own code to improve the look etc is ridiculous imo.

Duma

• forum hero
#44 Re: Forum software/theme
November 13, 2017, 02:07:16 pm
edit - what dave said.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal