UKBouldering.com

The Nose speed Record broken (Read 12761 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#25 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 09:05:49 pm
AP. Yeah I do lot each autumn, as training for winter mixed and because it's fun climbing in its own right and good for getting out and climbing on shitty weather days. It's funny lots of people criticise or at least 'don't get it'. I guess if they did it they might like it and see the point. Just like if I started speed-climbing the nose I'd probably like it and see 'the point'. BTW in my eyes anyone who says 'they can't see DT as a branch of climbing' marks themselves out as lacking something in imagination and open-mindedness.

I just wonder why the activity - racing up the exact same set of holds that you raced up last week/month/year in a slightly longer time - is publicised so much. Actually no, I don't wonder that. People sell jackets, shoes and hardware off it. But is the fad of racing up the same route over and over and over like it's a racing track moving climbing in a valuable direction? I'd say perhaps not, long term.

Surely it’s all the same underlying motivation?

“Because I want to see if I can”

And, honestly, saying that any form of climbing is “not realy climbing” is like saying “Jazz isn’t really music”.

I mean, Jazz is akin to fingernails on a Blackboard to me but logic (irritatingly) insists I recognise it as music (but not that noise produced by “Boy Bands”, there I draw the line).

Edit:
Actually, what’s the difference between “climbing the same holds again and again” to get faster and the same statement applied to our pet projects? I know it certainly seems bizarre to my non climbing friends that I spend hours on the same silly lump of Granite each week. In fact I suspect those same friends would be far more sympathetic to the speed attempts, which look a lot more like a climbing Velodrome/Athletic Track endeavour.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:12:11 pm by Oldmanmatt »

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#26 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 09:11:28 pm
Speed climbing the nose is just a display of mastery and competition amongst many other things. It’s pushed human development on since forever. I personally have no reference point for how impressive it undoubtedly is but can’t hold it against anyone for giving it a go

smellyfox

#27 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 09:40:33 pm
It took me 2hrs to gear up and frig my way up the first pitch. To say this is impressive is an understatement. Wow!  :jaw:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#28 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 09:59:17 pm
Speed climbing the nose is just a display of mastery and competition amongst many other things. It’s pushed human development on since forever. I personally have no reference point for how impressive it undoubtedly is but can’t hold it against anyone for giving it a go

I was chatting to my secretary a couple of weeks ago about non-work stuff, and I remarked that I was pretty content, as I had already achieved my goal for the year.  I briefly explained the RP process for sport routes, Googled a photo or two of the crag, and she seemed happy for me and moderately impressed (I appear such a shambling mess, she was probably surprised I get there unaided, let alone climb there).  Then she asked "what next", and I told her I was probably going to spend the next year or two failing to climb the route 2 meters to the right... and I felt all her appreciation just melt away!

petejh

• forum hero
#29 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 10:34:47 pm
Have you considered going back to the same route and seeing if you can climb it quicker..?

rosmat

• menacing presence
#30 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 06, 2018, 11:17:05 pm
AP. Yeah I do lot each autumn, as training for winter mixed and because it's fun climbing in its own right and good for getting out and climbing on shitty weather days. It's funny lots of people criticise or at least 'don't get it'. I guess if they did it they might like it and see the point. Just like if I started speed-climbing the nose I'd probably like it and see 'the point'. BTW in my eyes anyone who says 'they can't see DT as a branch of climbing' marks themselves out as lacking something in imagination and open-mindedness.

I just wonder why the activity - racing up the exact same set of holds that you raced up last week/month/year in a slightly longer time - is publicised so much........ But is the fad of racing up the same route over and over and over like it's a racing track moving climbing in a valuable direction? I'd say perhaps not, long term.

‘Cos it the most famous route in the world?

‘Cos it mind blowing to think it’s possible?

Don’t think it matters a jot if it’s moving climbing in a valuable direction? Why should it?

andy popp

• forum hero
#31 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 12:34:47 am
BTW in my eyes anyone who says 'they can't see DT as a branch of climbing' marks themselves out as lacking something in imagination and open-mindedness.

To be honest, my comment was at least semi-tongue in cheek. Yes, I have zero interest in it but, obviously, my opinion makes not one difference to dry tooling's status as one of the games climbers play. Given the range of styles of climbing I've engaged in over the years, I don't think I'm particularly lacking in imagination and open-mindedness.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#32 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 07:14:54 am
They did it. Astounding. On instagram:

patagonia_climbAfter climbing the Nose in its entirety 12 times over the course of three weeks leading up to this morning, @tommycaldwell and @alexhonnold clocked in at 1:58:07.
“Moving that fast feels like flow state a little bit. It commands all of you.”

remus

• forum hero
#33 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 07:38:25 am
Fuck me, that's outrageous.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 10:01:23 am
Live and let live. Speed attempts seem to be limited to The Nose, comp routes and not a lot of other things, apart from a few Alpine routes and enchainments.

I hold no desire to do it, but as a (moderately competitive) runner and cyclist i can see the appeal in doing the "same thing only faster".

It's an amazing achievement, whether participating in it appeals to you personally or not.

petejh

• forum hero
#35 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 11:29:57 am
Just to be clear, I'm not questioning the outrageous level of skill, talent and boldness needed to race up the nose. I'm questioning why 'the climbing media' consider it to be of such significance.

With just about all other climbing achievements that push the limits, there's transferability to the rest of the climbing world. A hard first ascent or enchainment in Patagonia is relatable to alpine-climbers around the world trying routes in their own mountains; Ondra and Megos are inspiring to sport climbers everywhere pushing their grades on their own crags. To pick the most maligned game - Jeff Mercier doing hard dry-tooling is inspiring and relatable to mixed climbers and dry-toolers worldwide trying their own routes. Every other genre of climbing is played out elsewhere and the rules of the game are broadly similar. A hard French 8c trad first ascent in New Zealand is relatable to someone playing the same game in Canada, Austria or Wales. 
This is a very localised game, involving a very small number of Yosemite locals and blow-ins, on one route, repeated ad nauseam. Someone more cynical than me might say it's typically insular of the US.
I can't see how the rest of the climbing world will remain interested unless there's a take-up of the idea of speed-ascents around the climbing world. A Verdon Gorge route for the French. A route in Switzerland, a quirky little UK version, a Spanish one, etc. Unless that happens I predict a rapid loss of public interest by just about everyone outside the western US. And if the idea of speed ascents becomes fashionable then that to me seems a pretty stupid direction for climbing to go in. Even stupider than dry-tooling! 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 11:38:19 am
a quirky little UK version

The quirky little UK versions are, off the top of my head: the Cuillin Ridge Traverse (with winter/greater traverse/super Cuillin variations); and the Staffordshire Nose.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#37 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 11:45:10 am
Well if nothing else, when it is reported, it gives people something new to moan about for a short while.

I think the increased interest at the moment is probably directly related to those taking part, and now Caldwell has the hardest climb in the park and this record, the narrative for the movie writes itself.

I don't think it's hard to grasp that this is a 'thing' in the climbing world, much like the Eiger Nordwand record or on a wider playing field the Bob Graham or the Paddy Buckley. It's the most famous climb on the best trad crag in the world. Challenges such as this gather legend and stories around them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#38 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 11:54:48 am
the Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Good comparison. Otherwise lots of examples of people doing 100 routes in a day, Caff's 100 Extremes in a day etc Lakes Classic Rock routes in a day, etc.

petejh

• forum hero
#39 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 12:17:27 pm
Yeah I suppose if I wasn't stuck at home with a throat infection I wouldn't be arsed to pass comment. Not moaning. Still seems to me a locally significant 'thing', at the extreme end of a spectrum of esoteric climbing games. A bit like the others mentioned, but they don't garner worldwide media attention despite requiring similar levels of mastery.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 12:21:32 pm
I think the media profile is caused by Alex Honnold Profile + Yosemite  / El Cap + something punters can almost relate to. Bit like Dawn Wall hubbub.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#41 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 01:48:29 pm
That’s a relief, we can all relax. I think this record will stick for a bit. 

This is a very localised game, involving a very small number of Yosemite locals and blow-ins, on one route, repeated ad nauseam. Someone more cynical than me might say it's typically insular of the US.

There is a decent case for saying The Nose is the best-known rock climb in the world (what is the competition?). It doesn’t yet have the notoriety of classic mountaineering challenges like North Face of The Eiger but it’s catching up. It attracts folk from all over the world, we’d have to ask Tom Evans what proportion of ascentionists are un-American but I’d guess more than half. The Nose speed record has been held by French (probably), Swiss, British, Canadian, German, Japanese and even Coloradan climbers, so I think it is reasonable to say it has more than local interest. I’ll let you tell Alexander Huber he’s a “blow in”!

The fascination is really only about one route. The time for aid-soloing Zodiac was recently improved by Dave Allfrey to 10 hours or so (such a shame it’s not still Russ Mitrovich’s bonkers ropeless ascent). This has raised barely a ripple of interest, which is exactly as it should be. 

As to whether speed climbing is more or less contrived than dry-tooling, my 8 year old son totally gets speed climbing...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#42 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 07, 2018, 02:10:19 pm
I quite like Pete's perspective on this. I have little against the activity (unlike, say, the horror of winter climbing), but it leaves me totally disinterested.

Danny

• junky
#43 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 08, 2018, 12:07:08 am
I agree with Pete entirely. Especially considering the credentials of these two climbers. Compared to all the other stuff they've done I think "meh" is my prevailing feeling. Although some of the photos with big loops of slack are wild.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#44 Re: The Nose speed Record broken
June 08, 2018, 09:54:00 pm
I give you PETER FUCKING CROFT: 

Then, in 1992, Croft and Florine teamed up to establish a time of 4:22, yet another record and one that would stand for nine years.

“When I got a speed record with Hans,” Croft recounts, “we get to the top and he is flipping out because we beat the record. And I’m like, ‘OK great, it’s early, let’s go do something else—we got tons of time,’ and he looked at me like I was speaking a different language. He wanted to go to the deli.”

So, according to Croft, Florine headed for the deli while he went off to climb by himself, free-soloing the Steck-Salathe on the Sentinel, Northeast Buttress on Higher Cathedral, and East Buttress on Middle Cathedral.

“I had a great day,” he says.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great piece: https://www.climbing.com/news/in-depth-the-evolution-of-the-nose-speed-record/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal