UKBouldering.com

Accounting software (Read 4818 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Accounting software
June 15, 2012, 02:06:43 pm
I'm running a small business and currently doing accounts via spreadsheets shared via dropbox.

Starting to wonder if there's a better way so have been looking at accounting software. Anyone got any recommendations, hints, tips, horror stories? Only need to issue ~8 invoices per week, but something to keep track of who has paid would be good. VAT registered so would need to help with that.

Probably after a cloud-based system as there are two of us and we're rarely sat in the office together. Kashflow has been recommended, any others? 

jamiev

• regular
#1 Re: Accounting software
June 15, 2012, 03:16:46 pm
I use Freeagent, cloud based, v easy user interface, can integrate with online banking if required (but doesn't have to), you can set it up to issue automatic reminder emails if you've not been paid, easy to issue invoices and to keep track of all invoicing, expenses, tax, etc. Highly recommended. http://www.freeagent.com/

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Accounting software
June 15, 2012, 03:28:24 pm
 Haven't used it but have only heard good things about Kashflow.

flyguy

• addict
#3 Re: Accounting software
June 15, 2012, 04:17:08 pm
I use Sage and it is very comprehensive. it isnt free and not sure about cloudshare options. It calculates all my vat returns etc and helps me keep an eye on who owes what etc worth the money for us as it cuts down on accountant bills.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Accounting software
June 15, 2012, 05:08:14 pm
Thanks chaps. I'm expecting to pay so not bothered about free options unless they're amazing.

Sage was the first one I looked at. It's got a good rep but I wasn't bowled over.

Will have a good look at Kashflow - that's the second rec I've had. Freeagent also looks really good.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Re: Accounting software
November 12, 2017, 01:23:26 pm
Five years on, has anybody got any further recommendations? JB what did you plump for in the end?

Limited company, probably issuing a couple of invoices a week at most, will be VAT registered, based on the IOM, no other employees (yet...).

The wife does the accounts where she works and uses Sage 50 apparently, so I guess something Sage-ey would make sense as a starting point (Sage One cloud thing?) but happy to listen to alternative suggestions.

SamT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Accounting software
November 12, 2017, 10:27:11 pm
We use xero at work.  Our book keeping lady uses both Sage at her other work, and xero here.  She reckons they're same same but different.

xero is cloud based obv.  I use the invoicing aspect of it.  Seems pretty straightforward.

As with all cloud based apps, they keep re-jigging pages, occasionally moving stuff around, which bugs the book keeper a bit, but generally it means they're improving functionality. Just annoying when you cant find something that 'used to be there'

chris j

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Accounting software
November 13, 2017, 03:51:56 am
My accountant pushed me into keeping records on quickbooks online, which is cloud-based and they have access to. It seems straightforward enough once you get your head round how to link accounts and transfers etc. My business isn't exactly complicated, working offshore issuing about 12-15 invoices a year...

nik at work

• forum hero
#8 Re: Accounting software
November 13, 2017, 01:22:19 pm
Thank you folks, useful information much appreciated.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Accounting software
November 13, 2017, 01:47:02 pm
We use Kashflow. Have put over 10,000 entries on it now and almost no complaints, very good and excellent value. Very little jigging around, interface has only had one major change in five years. Deals with 3 of us logged in at once with no problems. Sage seems very much the industry standard but I've heard Kashflow is more user friendly for the non-accountant.

One thought is that when I've tried (with limited gumption tbh) to integrate it with our website and online banking etc I've not succeeded. As this is done via (not brilliant) third party apps I suspect the developers are mostly directing their efforts towards the biggest platform - which I'm guessing is Sage, and likely another example of how internet monopolies arise.

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 Re: Accounting software
November 13, 2017, 08:29:40 pm
So good he wrote it twice  :)

Thanks JB, I have worked out how to wad you now (and chris j and SamT).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal