UKBouldering.com

HOW come bouldering is so safe? (Read 1898 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
HOW come bouldering is so safe?
February 04, 2003, 10:22:16 am
What's it all about then?? I've climbed and bouldered for 18 years and never done a major injury. Knocked out once, spained the odd ankle / wrist but no fractures / lacerations or suchlike. This is despite being fully mad in years gone by...

This year I decide to buy a MTB, get a bit fit, stop the fags, burn a few cals etc....

ace sport - even though I'm, at no more than v.diff level, BUT - bloody hell I've had bruises galore, a puss ooozing leg wound that took 3 weeks, daily dressings, and 2 courses of antibiotcs, various small holes in the hands and arma and now have had to have stitches in my hand for a well depp gash when I was simply changing the pedals !!! ( spanner slipped under force, hand then Punched  into edge of chain ring very hard - very painful, needed gas and air in A & E )

do you get a finite measure of luck for sporting activities? Is mine all gone? can I have some of yours!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 HOW come bouldering is so safe?
February 04, 2003, 10:27:52 am
Quote from: "fatdoc"
very painful, needed gas and air in A & E

:D  It's a good job you work for the NHS or you'd be dead as a dodo by now pal - how the hell did you manage that? Get some decent tools!

I think you've answered the question for yourself - you've been bouldering for years and know how to fall (not to mentions spotters, etc) but with mtb your technique shall we say....has room for improvement  :P .... which is why your on and off the thing like a bunny on heat.

Anything that involves moving fast and crashing is going to hurt - look at the bike injuries you get at the hossy.

By the way FD, I've got a headband sorted now to carry the bullet cam, so we can film our mtb exploits.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 HOW come bouldering is so safe?
February 04, 2003, 11:16:59 am
:shock:
room for improvement is perhaps the most polite way i've heard you say crap at it!!

yeah, now I'm well up for loads of helmeted larrrffs with the camera, boulderin and bikin a plenty. off this week -- cos of da chain ring affair - - doubt OK for W/E, but you never know!!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 HOW come bouldering is so safe?
February 04, 2003, 11:20:08 am
Only joshing fella - I'm well rusty meself these days  :wink:

Still, we'll send you down in front to get some good wipeout footage  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal